Starchoice 60E dish for Hispasat and 79W/83W as well

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
I just wanted to share my experience with this dish and those sats on the title. I acctually found that this dish is way better ( I mean way better) than a regular chinese made or similar flimpsy ones like Fortec Star or Ariza not only due to its superior construction but also the quality of the signals it gets. due to its dual LNB (quad output) with the 4 degree offset it worked great on 79W/83W combination and I manage to get all 24/7 signals (there are not much anyways) but also the news feed that usually pop up on this birds in the afternoons usually. Even on rainy days I had no issue with KTEL neither with RTV or the NBC bar screen.

But what cut my attention was when I aimed it to Hispasat not only I was able to get everything but only 1 narrow low power signal but the fact that the difference in S/N ratio with the fixed Ariza 80 cm perfectly tuned was only 2.2 Db's!!!! yet as per the birdog the Q reading was 0 (but it had a lock obviously). For the Cuban mux S/N were 8.6 dB for the 60E and 0 Q but with the Ariza 80 cm it was 10.8 dB S/N but a whooping 85 and more Q on the birdog. Amazinly the Constellation map was very similar for both dishes and on the SA (very limited screen) they looked similar as well , but despite the big difference in Q readings , the S/N levels are only 2.2 appart and even on overcast skies the small eliptical 60E dish holds those signal quite well including incredibly the 8PSK Uruguayan mux. Will test more under rainy conditions tomorrow with Hispasat to compare both but I got the feeling that the 60E will stand to its Channel Master name reputation. I have not been able to find more info on the 60E dish in regards of its efficiency and more importantly its radiation pattern as I think it holds the answer to the low 0 Q readings with high impressive 8.6 dB S/N ratio values for those power Cuban, Spanish,and Overon muxes(the Arab one was weaker).

Of course the debate is open for anyone to share some ideas about this "mistery" if you will , lol.

Readings with the AZBOX Prem+ are in the 70's for the strongest ones with the Ariza 80 cm but in the 55's for the SC 60E Dish yet dont think that just rain will kill the 60E signal.

Aren't the Starchoice dishes made by Channel Master? These are among the very best Ku-Band dishes made. I would take one in an instant over a stamped metal dish. The only advantage the stamped dishes have is that they are easily motorized.

Well Tron I have heard you guys here talk highly of the Channel Master, PrimeStar and the rather expensive dishes but I guess I was just surprise to see it for myself the first time. My point was for now on I will try to use this kind of Dishes in the future if possible , I mean , you better have an old used dish like this in good condition than a brand new fortec star. I guess it was enlightment day for me the other day, lol. I was aware this are comercial quality dishes but was never expecting such difference in performance. I should have known better I know but I guess I am naive, lol

I still have no explanation for the low 0 Q yet the high 8.6 dB S/N ratio , usually what I was used to see was if Q dropped on the birdog then S/N would drop considerably and therefore BER (after Viterbi)would be less than 100% (is acctually above 0) meaning you are loosing data bits although the picture/audio is still fine. Well the LNB on the 60E also plays a roll but I am more inclined to beleive it is the Dish per se the bigger factor.

Tantalus, It is the Starchoice Elliptical 60E Dish that uses the Quad LNB marked for 60E (the bigger 75E uses a different LNB that has different lenses if you will, inner circuitry is apparently the same). It is around 70 cm along its major axis but apparently its Area is similar to a 60cm round dish therefore the name 60E (the same logic probably for the 75E). As per this website that sells them , www.kusat.com , it says:

The Shaw Direct elliptical dish kit comes in 2 sizes: 60cm/24inch and 75cm/30inch.
  • The 24inch kit is elliptical and measures 28" x 18" (approx.).
  • The 30inch kit is elliptical and measures 35" x 28" (approx.).

The Starchoice 75e model is the same size as the Primestar 75e dish
37" x 27"

and yes its made by ChannelMaster

I have three SC dishes in my FTA system (2-60Es, 1-75E, see signature below, plus my SC subscription dish which I occasionally hook-up to the AZBox to check out the 4.2.2 feeds).

As hd fan noted above, the signal quality is about 10 to 15 points lower on the 60E than on my 80cm dishes, so one does have to pick and choose the satellite to point to, but in general, even that loss is not of much consequence (except on the marginal signals, of course).

The dishes seem to have fairly good satellite separation so interference is not as great as one would expect on a smaller size rated dish. In fact, my 75E has better satellite separation than any of my 80cm dishes, this was easily proven to me when one time the Equity mixes were getting interference (from 125) that caused the signal quality to constantly yo-yo (there was a thread about it, October 2008). Eventually I pointed the 75E at 123 (and used the off-centre LNB, I may add), and instantly the interference was gone.

One advantage is that because they are elliptical dishes, the dropoff rate is not as steep as on a 80cm dish, so its an added bonus when adding multiple LNBs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts