Smart TVs are like “a digital Trojan Horse” in people’s homes

Smart TV's, smart speakers, cell phones, they all invade our privacy. At this point I don't think there's any reasonable way to avoid it without giving up all these devices. We either accept it or live like hermits in the woods. It's really sad it's come to this, especially for people like me who love technology. I never thought it would be used against us like it is today.

When I talk to non-tech friends about using VPN's, adjusting privacy settings in Windows, staying off Facebook/Instagram, they think I'm nuts. That's how embedded data harvesting is in our lives.

Smart TV's, smart speakers, cell phones, they all invade our privacy. At this point I don't think there's any reasonable way to avoid it without giving up all these devices. We either accept it or live like hermits in the woods. It's really sad it's come to this, especially for people like me who love technology. I never thought it would be used against us like it is today.

When I talk to non-tech friends about using VPN's, adjusting privacy settings in Windows, staying off Facebook/Instagram, they think I'm nuts. That's how embedded data harvesting is in our lives.
The surveillance economy is huge. It isn't really clear to me where all the money is coming from. It can't just be advertisers.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I wasn't meaning to. I can't think of any other entity besides advertisers that would be supporting or enabling a "surveillance economy." I was just answering the question.
The entire government can't be political. I did not take it to mean anything other than governmental agencies buying data on the open market.

Paramount +