Should my DVR be arranged like this?

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Is this an okay arrangement for my DVR? (See picture) On Top is a Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player. On the bottom, is the 722 DVR, and to the left is a Sherwood 2 channel Audio receiver. What with how heavy the DVR is, do you think it'd be better to put the DVR on top of the Blu-Ray player, or leave it like it is? Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    612.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 304
I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority but I say you're fine.

Heck look at how one of my 722k's is set up. The installer even put it this way and it's been going for nearly a year with no heat issues.

1zg5e15.jpg

Double ungood. Put DVR on top with spacers, maybe even just 4 small wooden blocks, between the two. I use laptop coolers under all of mine.

IMHO a laptop cooler is a waste because if DISH thought the receiver needed more heat dissipation then they would have designed the fan to actually run as opposed to what it usually does which is barely run.

The heat flow also goes from the right-to-left on the receiver so I'm not sure how having a cooler under the receiver will help air flow from right to left. Sure air can flow through the bottom but I would think putting a fan on the right side blowing in would work better. Also, the receiver has it's own feet which do all the spacing necessary. As long as it's not on carpet I say it's fine.

Also would like to note the 722k pictured in my previous post actually runs cooler than my other 722k.

Well, I'd almost think the DVR would be too heavy for the Blu-Ray player. I'm not buying a new stand, I'm not made out of money. Maybe more ventilation on the sides... The DVR can get warm though, so hopefully it won't blow up. :)

3HaloODST said:
IMHO a laptop cooler is a waste because if DISH thought the receiver needed more heat dissipation then they would have designed the fan to actually run as opposed to what it usually does which is barely run.

The heat flow also goes from the right-to-left on the receiver so I'm not sure how having a cooler under the receiver will help air flow from right to left. Sure air can flow through the bottom but I would think putting a fan on the right side blowing in would work better. Also, the receiver has it's own feet which do all the spacing necessary. As long as it's not on carpet I say it's fine.

Also would like to note the 722k pictured in my previous post actually runs cooler than my other 722k.

Its the VCR thats making it run cool, lol, just kidding. Atleast it looks like a vcr in your picture.

It is :p . I use it to modulate the composite output for the TV that it's sitting on top of. It works a lot better than the TV1 modulator on the 722k.

I have that 722k hooked up to a tube TV as well as one of my HDTV's not pictured :p .

Agreed, put some spacers (blocks under it). I used soda bottle tops. You ought to check the HDD temps in the menu (diagnostics) before and after and let us know the temps. My first 722 HD died and afterward I made it look like the photo I posted in my profile somewhere (and it's been great for about 2 years, though I did add a small cooling fan as well).

bebop said:
Agreed, put some spacers (blocks under it). I used soda bottle tops. You ought to check the HDD temps in the menu (diagnostics) before and after and let us know the temps. My first 722 HD died and afterward I made it look like the photo I posted in my profile somewhere (and it's been great for about 2 years, though I did add a small cooling fan as well).

Where in the system do you look up the temp of the reciever and what is average, or over heating.

Dish 500

subchannel guide on dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)