mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Internet attack?

Software run amuck?

More likely Scott G running some huge process in the background...

Load pages taking forever to load. The load time on the front page at the bottom was 16 seconds. This post page showing 5 seconds...

Server needs a jump start!

The database for the ads had issues, and then I needed to repair a bunch of tables (did I tell you I hate MySQL and MyISAM?).

All better now.

i'm still seeing some weird things. when looking through the threads some will say that a certain member posted at let's say 8:30pm but when i check it out there is no such post by that member at the time shown. i've seen this for a few threads in the last 10 minutes or so. weird.....

i'm still seeing some weird things. when looking through the threads some will say that a certain member posted at let's say 8:30pm but when i check it out there is no such post by that member at the time shown. i've seen this for a few threads in the last 10 minutes or so. weird.....
That is exactly what happened to me. I made a post and it posted. I even went back and read it a few minutes later. And then a few minutes after that the post was gone.

It was probably made when larry was rebuilding and repairing the database.

I was trying to take the board offline while he was working but kept timing out getting to the control panel.

All now is running well again... I hate stuck processes. :)

Thanks LER!

MySQL and especially MyISAM is NOT very robust in some circumstances. We've kicked the server(s) in the head a number of times, and sometimes it just gets corrupted/crashed.

Don't know exactly what caused this one, but the error(s) in the log pointed to needing to run REPAIR TABLE on a number of tables, so I ran it on ALL the VB tables.

No more specifics are available at the present time.

For my personal use, I much prefer PostgreSQL, as it is MUCH more robust and damn near crash-proof.

vBulletin, however, doesn't have a PostgreSQL compatible version, much to my chagrin.

MySQL and especially MyISAM is NOT very robust in some circumstances. We've kicked the server(s) in the head a number of times, and sometimes it just gets corrupted/crashed.

Don't know exactly what caused this one, but the error(s) in the log pointed to needing to run REPAIR TABLE on a number of tables, so I ran it on ALL the VB tables.

No more specifics are available at the present time.

For my personal use, I much prefer PostgreSQL, as it is MUCH more robust and damn near crash-proof.

vBulletin, however, doesn't have a PostgreSQL compatible version, much to my chagrin.

What do these Database Servers do?. How many servers does this site have for heavens sake. I do know a bit about this stuff. What do you remotely connect to this servers like with Timbuktu or something?

I am very surprised that vBulletin doesn't support PostgreSQL.

Good luck & thanks LER & Scott too.

one DB server, one WebServer. Connect with SSH.

They are both FreeBSD.

Cool. I don't know much about FreeDSD's. FreeBSD is just the operating system right, or are they different system totally like the server too. I only know about Windows servers and my favorite Mac Servers! Love MAC(APPLE)!

Why couldn't Scott go to the other page on the webserver when the database server was having problems? Does VBulletin run on both servers or just one?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like learning about all this stuff.

the webserver and db server software were still very busy.

It was just a load issue since the DB server was heavy cpu due to the tables being weirded out.

I've been in this industry for 30+ years.

FreeBSD is the OS (Decendent from UCB Berkeley Unix). MacOS is FreeBSD's userland, + lots of other stuff.

the vBulletin code runs on the webserver, but the data is on the DB server. They talk across a priviate link.

When I was on the Dish Network Forum looking at the Earth Satellite thread, I noticed that the top bar we pushed over to the right. Everything at the top of the page looked very messed up, I wasn't sure if this had to do with the server glitch last night or not, but wanted to post a picture and let you know.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    58 KB · Views: 90
Thats a CSS Caching issue on your machine. If it happens again just clear your cache. (chances are with the server going up and down as LER was working you downloaded only half of the CSS file which controls the layout.)

Now, I am getting this message on that page too. I cleared the cache and reloaded the page and still nothing. Here is what it says:

vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recurring Discussions

Why is everything posted twice? Why is everything posted twice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)