Doing Server Work...

Nope... I didn't fix it.

Looking at things it appears the ElasticSearch (which is our search engine) detected data corruption and did a full reindex. Cpanel shows it was using 587% of the CPU to do it.

I am guessing it finished before I got home.

Everything else is working as normal.
Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 10.43.29 AM.png

I do NOT believe it is related but just got a notification from our host...

"We are currently experiencing issues affecting some host systems within our data centers in Nuremberg and USA East / Central. As a result, your server might be temporarily unreachable. Please note that our entire team is fully engaged in resolving this matter with the highest priority.

Unfortunately, there is no estimated time of resolution at the moment, but the next update will be provided at 21:00 CET. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and kindly ask for your understanding as our response times may be slower than usual."

Since we are online I am guessing this does not mean us.

I am fearful that this could be related to us not upgrading to Xenforo 2.3 yet. There are some backend things that automatically update themselves as part of daily maintenance and some of these updates may be intended for the newer version.

I am going to have to bite the bullet and sit down and upgrade the site which I am scared to do as I know some of our older plugins will not work as there are some major changes between 2.2 and 2.3. Remember a few of these plugins were written for us a few years ago. The authors who wrote them for us are long gone so there are no updates available for some of them.

Most people who have upgraded through have not reported any issues... If you remember I tried making a clone of the site and upgrading that and it actually crashed the live site. Crashed it so bad we lost a few hours of posts. Days later after Xenforo support looked into things they report the issue was caused by our intense caching. (I believe that made some changes in 2.3.1 to prevent that issue for others and now 2.3.2 is out with a bunch more fixes.)

Here is a list of updates available that I can not do until I update to 2.3.

I will try to make some time to do it, possibly next Sunday. I will have to take the site offline do another backup for safety then do the upgrade.

BTW if this ElasticSearch issues keeps happening, I will remove it and switch us back to the default Xenforo search for the time being, which means we will lose some of the cool search bells and whistles for a bit. And then reenable it back when we do the upgrade.

Again as of today there is nothing I myself have updated or did to the server, but I do know the backend stuff is automatically updated by Cpanel with no intervention by me. :)

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 12.48.34 PM.png

Scott, on your Server/Site status links post, should we just ignore the first link to https://uptime.scottsservers.com/status/satelliteguys?
Ha looks like my comcast line at my office is currently down. I even logged into the router at work and PFSense is showing the compcast line to be down as well.

It will be back up when Comcast is.

Oh boy…

solid signal?