Satellite Meters

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Chiba, Japan
I have never used a satellite meter. I've always been able to use the wifi capability of my Edision receiver to see at the dish via my smartphone actual received SQ or similar techniques. But I find now I may need a satellite meter in my current environment.

I have access to amazon.co.jp which has a couple of meters that are interesting: GT Media V8 Finder and GT Media V8 Finder Max. Both are available locally for the equivalent of US$53 and US$168 respectively delivered.
=========
GT Media V8 Finder:

GTMEDIA V8 Finder2 is a handheld satellite meter that supports DVB-S/S2 and MPEG-2/4 H.264 (8-bit). With its compact size, light weight, intuitive user interface, long battery life and rich feature set, this meter provides all the functionality you need to install and verify digital satellite TV services to your home or multi-dwelling unit.
Main Features●3.5 inch high resolution LCD screen.●Fully DVB-S2X/S2/S, MPEG-2/MPEG-4 compliant.Supports H.264 (8-bit) hardware decoding.●Digital measuring device for signal strength and quality. All satellite information can be preset.●Supports loop search●Spectrum analyzer●Supports auto, blind, manual and NIT scanning.●Sound for lock signalAutomatic calculation of AZ, EL angles.●Supports DISEQC 1.0/1.1/1.2, unicable, 0/22kHz tone.● Built-in speaker● Support both AV output and AV.● Support both HDMI output.● Support real-time power display with low power reminder.● Support Youtube for USB wifi 2.4G.● LNB short protection● Support Type-C charging interface. Support multi-protocol fast charging. Up to 18W.● Support Type-C reverse charging.● Software upgrade via USB port.● Easy to carry.

=======

GT Media V8 Finder Max:

GTMEDIA V8 FinderMax is a DVB-S2X/S2/S and MPEG-2/4 H.264/H.265 (8-bit) compliant handheld combo meter. With its compact size, light weight, intuitive user interface, long battery life and rich feature set, the meter provides all the functionality you need to install and verify digital satellite TV services, antenna signals, cable signal to residential cable signal homes or multiple dwelling units.
Main Features● 4.3 inch high resolution TFT LCD screen.● DVB-S2X/S2/S, MPEG-2/MPEG-4 fully compliant.● Support H.264/H.265(8-bit) hardware decoding.● Digital measuring device for signal strength and quality. Support presets for all satellite information.● Support loop search.● Spectrum analyzer● Supports auto, blind and manual scanning.● Sound to lock on the signal.● Auto calculate AZ, EL angles.● Support DISEQC 1.0/1.1/1.2, unicable, 0/22kHz tone.● Built-in speaker● Support both AV output and AV input.● Support both HDMI output.● Support compass function.● Support real-time power display with low power reminder.● Support Youtube for USB wifi 2.4G.● LNB short protect● Software upgrade via USB port.● Easy to carry.
=======

I wonder if anybody has comments. I would need both the Asian and the North American satellites.

I bought one of the cheaper ones recently V8 Finder 2.

It's definitely not as functional as one of those ridiculously expensive meters that gives you all the db levels or whatever and it's not smart enough to figure out which satellite you're pointed at. But it does what I need which is keeping me from having to carry a receiver and TV outside with an extension power cord. Just like a normal receiver, create a known transponder on whatever satellite you're looking for, make sure the parameters match your LNB type, and boom. It will make noise and give you nice graphs when you get the thing pointed in the right direction. Then to be sure you can scan for channels and view the program right there on the built in screen.

It apparently does a lot more stuff that I haven't bothered to figure out yet, definitely did what I wanted. 8/10 would recommend.

We think alike. I am not inclined to spend much for a meter since, as a hobbyist, it's hard to justify its occasional use. The V8 Finder 2 seems to do what is necessary.

The other reason I need it is I don't have a TV anymore! My old analog TV blew up a couple of weeks ago. So I'm temporarily without any way to view what I can receive other than on a sat meter.

FTA Contact in Japan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 2, Guests: 3)