Report: IT may be ready to embrace iPad/iPhone, but Users not ready to embrace IT

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
IT May Be Ready To Embrace The iPhone And iPad But Users May Not Be Ready To Embrace IT | Cult of Mac

A new report from Forrester makes it clear that IT departments and the users that they support are not on the same page when it comes to employees using their own devices in the workplace. In fact, according to Forrester’s survey of both IT staffers and knowledge workers illustrates that IT may be largely out of touch with how many users are bringing their own iPads, iPhones, and other mobile devices and how many devices each employee is bringing to the workplace.

This adds an interesting counterpoint to the study that we profiled early today that indicated that by and large IT departments are beginning to embrace BYOD and other parts of the consumerization of IT trend.The Forrester study, which surveyed over 10,000 information workers and 2300 IT decision makers offers a handful of important important points.

Read more, with lots of charts.. :)

My coworker and our boss and I have been talking about this for our IT, since for our company we three are the only ones in IT. Since we have a parent company this is a little more difficult to embrace the idea of BYOD. Personally for us it would cut down quite a bit on capital needed to purchase equipment. We have discussed if we were ever to bring this to a policy, and I believe our parent company is working on a policy as my boss had said that, we would have to make sure we tell our users that the only support we will do is for our software used for work.

I can actually do a BYOD for myself now, as my boss has given me the green light. It's the upfront cost I would need for a Macbook that is stopping me right now. A Macbook is cheaper than the Lenovo ThinkPads we are buying right now.

Heck, we've even discussed giving users a $1000 allotment to go purchase their own device. Still cheaper than us buying them.

It's an intriguing idea, but personally I'm a fan of seperation of church/state. In other words, never mixing my personal computers with the company's computer...

Especially for larger corporations, this is something that is difficult to do and do well.

That's because you have a job where your employer buys stuff like ipads for you to use without policy on personal use. ( IRS loves stuff like this in a general audit) Many companies are very strict on personal use of company property. Taking it even further, some have restrictions on using personal devices on company property ( cell phones with cameras comes to mind ). I recall a couple years ago when my wife had her personal phone modified by the IT dept in a way that deleted all her personal phone addresses and the polling of her personal e-mail to replace with company authorized stuff. This was not a company phone, but one we paid for. The company felt justified in their action because they paid certain employees a stipend for employees conducting business on a personal phone. IT really pissed me off with them doing that. I reconfigured her phone with both e-mail and then I reloaded the addresses we had from a backup. Apparently this was not a unique battle between employees and IT management. A year later the company policy changed and they stopped paying the stipend for personal phones. Today each employee is issued a POS Blackberry and are told they can't use it for any personal use. Now she has to carry two phones! Not so much an issue with her, but many employees are now battling with the company on the desire to dump blackberry and have an iphone. As I understand it, employees are using their own iphone for company business and IT feels they have lost control. There is now a rumor that the company may switch from Blackberry to iphone as the company standard. I guess the bosses over IT have iphones. :)

That's because you have a job where your employer buys stuff like ipads for you to use without policy on personal use. ( IRS loves stuff like this in a general audit) Many companies are very strict on personal use of company property. Taking it even further, some have restrictions on using personal devices on company property ( cell phones with cameras comes to mind ). I recall a couple years ago when my wife had her personal phone modified by the IT dept in a way that deleted all her personal phone addresses and the polling of her personal e-mail to replace with company authorized stuff. This was not a company phone, but one we paid for. The company felt justified in their action because they paid certain employees a stipend for employees conducting business on a personal phone. IT really pissed me off with them doing that. I reconfigured her phone with both e-mail and then I reloaded the addresses we had from a backup. Apparently this was not a unique battle between employees and IT management. A year later the company policy changed and they stopped paying the stipend for personal phones. Today each employee is issued a POS Blackberry and are told they can't use it for any personal use. Now she has to carry two phones! Not so much an issue with her, but many employees are now battling with the company on the desire to dump blackberry and have an iphone. As I understand it, employees are using their own iphone for company business and IT feels they have lost control. There is now a rumor that the company may switch from Blackberry to iphone as the company standard. I guess the bosses over IT have iphones. :)

Are you kidding, we have a very restrictive policy - that is not particularly well enforced. But I no longer use a school-owned iPad. The software policy on computers is one that is routinely ignored as well, but I now just leave the mbp in the office, and use my own macbook air most of the time. Including in the classroom - its light to carry, and just is easier than logging into the classroom machines.

Virtual windows on the iPad, flash and all

Considering an ipad3?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)