Replacing old dish with new

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BrewsterBulldog29

Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Glen Rock NJ
I currently have an old 18 inch Direct TV dish, that I installed years ago, I get 90's for signal strength. This weekend I went to replace this dish with a Direct TV Five LNB KA/Ku Slim line dish. I thought all I need to do was take off the old and put on the new dish and I would get the 101 signal. I get nothing. I do have a clear view. Does anyone have any ideas. Wouldn't the elevation be the same. Any help would be great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You only need the Slimline for HD and if you added HD, DTV would install the new dish for free. Not sure what you are trying to do. If you are SD, things were fine the way they were.

From my experience, the elevation will be different, and you also have the tilt factor.

IF you have a HD receiver or DVR, enter the zip code to see what the elevation and tilt will be for the SL5 dish.

Thanks, I thought if I set my elevation just like the old dish and kept the dish straight without tilting it I would get the 101 signal just like the old dish. I guess I was wrong

I think the offset angle with the 18" round is different from the Slimline. Thus the elevation setting would be slightly different. Is the new mast plumb?

I think the offset angle with the 18" round is different from the Slimline. Thus the elevation setting would be slightly different. Is the new mast plumb?

There is no offset angle (skew) with the 18" dish.

yes everything is level, I have a pole cemented in my back yard I took a level to it. It's plumb.

Are you using the same pole? If so, it's too small for the new Slimline dish. You need a 2" pole for it. Aside that, the azimuth is the same for the new dish, but you have to set the skew. schneid gave you the link to find the correct azimuth, now set the skew. That info is in the setup menu from the receiver/dvr. You should be able to find 101, and 119 should show up, too. If it's weak, then you have to fine tune the skew. Once you have good signals on them, then check 99 and 103. That's where it gets a bit tricky. You have to dither the dish to get the hd sats tuned in. There is a video on the solid signal website that gives a good demonstration. Good luck!

Guessing based on what used to work isn't valid. You have to start from scratch if you have a different dish.

It would have been cheaper and easier to let DIRECTV install the new dish for you when you order HD (assuming you're legal). As it is, you won't be able to tell if your install was successful until you get some HD equipment.

Self-installing is overrated.

Fine tuning Slim Line Dish

First I would like to THANK everyone for their helpful input. I do have a question about fine tuning. Based on the Direct TV install manual they go based on 101 and 119. It states that Ka is sometimes not available in your area. I'm getting a 95/96 reading on my 101 110 and 119. Do you believe this is good enough or do I need to get better. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance

First I would like to THANK everyone for their helpful input. I do have a question about fine tuning. Based on the Direct TV install manual they go based on 101 and 119. It states that Ka is sometimes not available in your area. I'm getting a 95/96 reading on my 101 110 and 119. Do you believe this is good enough or do I need to get better. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance

95 is fine, what kind of signal do you have on the 99 and 103 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lions @ bears

Question about DVR and HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)