Replacing Dish Network Options?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I am looking again at streaming options for Dish being my contract is due to end in a few months with the cost going up again. I already have Paramount+ and I am getting Netflix and Apple Tv through T-Mobile. I also got a Tablo to use with my OTA antenna for the local channels. I am hoping to get one more streaming source that I will get the meat and potato channels that we watch the most. Some of these channels are not on several options like the Cooking channel and USA. The key reason for this is to save some $$$, so I can't afford to sign up for several streaming options that show a lot of the same channels and a lot of channels we won't watch. The only sports channel I am interested in is the SEC network. Ease of operation is a must for my wife to use plus it would need to have a DVR and guide. I have a Roku Ultra.

I am looking again at streaming options for Dish being my contract is due to end in a few months with the cost going up again. I already have Paramount+ and I am getting Netflix and Apple Tv through T-Mobile. I also got a Tablo to use with my OTA antenna for the local channels. I am hoping to get one more streaming source that I will get the meat and potato channels that we watch the most. Some of these channels are not on several options like the Cooking channel and USA. The key reason for this is to save some $$$, so I can't afford to sign up for several streaming options that show a lot of the same channels and a lot of channels we won't watch. The only sports channel I am interested in is the SEC network. Ease of operation is a must for my wife to use plus it would need to have a DVR and guide. I have a Roku Ultra.
If you need the SEC, you have to have ESPN, so you would want a service like YouTube TV.

It is the easiest Streaming Live TV Service, would have USA and ESPN, but not the Cooking Channel, but does have The Food Network.

The biggest advantage, is you can customize the guide, put your top channels at the top, also has the best picture quality, better then Cable/Satellite.

Then, there is Hulu Live, would have all 3 of those channels, more expensive and not as easy.

SEC is the main issue, ESPN ( with the SEC) streaming service does not start up until next August.

If just content from USA(Peacock) and The Cooking Channel (Discovery+), you could spend $13 ( with commercials) or $23 (without commercials).

Last edited:
If you need the SEC, you have to have ESPN, so you would want a service like YouTube TV.

It is the easiest Streaming Live TV Service, would have USA and ESPN, but not the Cooking Channel, but does have The Food Network.

The biggest advantage, is you can customize the guide, put your top channels at the top, also has the best picture quality, better then Cable/Satellite.

Then, there is Hulu Live, would have all 3 of those channels, more expensive and not as easy.

SEC is the main issue, ESPN ( with the SEC) streaming service does not start up until next August.

If just content from USA(Peacock) and The Cooking Channel (Discovery+), you could spend $13 ( with commercials) or $23 (without commercials).
You might want to check out Philo. It has the cooking channel and USA. I have had Philo for several years now and really enjoy it.

You might want to check out Philo. It has the cooking channel and USA. I have had Philo for several years now and really enjoy it.
That is an option but more expensive than Bruce's suggestion. Philo is $28 a month, with commecials while the other is $13 a month with and $23 without commercials.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
That is an option but more expensive than Bruce's suggestion. Philo is $28 a month, with commecials while the other is $13 a month with and $23 without commercials.
USA is not on Philo, it does not carry any channels from NBC Universal, so Bobby is correct, my option is even less then.

Reactions: osu1991 and Bobby
So the cheapest way to get the live linear Discovery networks (I'm mostly interested in History and Travl) is Philo?
Yes, if you want live, on MAX/Discovery+, it is next day.

History Channel is owned by A&E, not Warner Discovery, the little History Channel content on MAX/D+, was co-produced by Discovery.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes, if you want live, on MAX/Discovery+, it is next day.

History Channel is owned by A&E, not Warner Discovery, the little History Channel content on MAX/D+, was co-produced by Discovery.
MAX does not carry all of Discovery content. Neither does Discovery+.

Also the content of History shows on MAX is not the current season of any shows I've seen on there.

Also the content of History shows on MAX is not the current season of any shows I've seen on there.
Like I posted, the only History Content is what Discovery produced or co-produced.

I'm doing the 7-day free trial of Philo now. So far so good. Can also log into Travel Channel app with my Philo credentials and access all the linear Discovery channels that way.
Those TV Everywhere apps are due to be shut down by the end of the year, so they can push people to pay for them via MAX or Discovery{.

So is Discovery going to make their linear channels available through a different app then?
If you mean free or their content on apps as part of a Paid Live TV service, no.

But their channels are available on all Live TV Services, including YTTV.

All companies are shutting down TV Everywhere apps, Fox shut down Foxnow, Disney everything except Watch ESPN ( no streaming service yet, when they do, it will be gone), Paramount, all gone, Warner some, the rest by the end of the year.

Basically, anyone that has their content on a paid streaming service.

Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture