Recording Regualr TV

majack

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
I am a newbi with DVR. The question I have is this can you record regular tv with the 510 DVR? Thanks for the help.

I think he means OTA, or "not on the satellite". The answer is "no"; that would require an MPEG2 encoder. Satellite feeds don't need that as they're already in MPEG2.

Does Dish network have a DVR that will record both? If not, is there something out there that will allow me to do that?

Thanks

majack said:
Does Dish network have a DVR that will record both? If not, is there something out there that will allow me to do that?

Thanks

I believe that at this time the 921 is the only DVR with an OTA module. I know it will (sometimes) recored Digital OTA, I have never tried Analog OTA.
If you have locals, that is the best way to record your local programing wo/the 921.

What RBBrittain said - there is NO way a E* receiver will record ANALOG OTA. OTOH, the 921 will (sometimes - it's buggy) record DIGITAL OTA. Dunno if the 721 will - but if it has an OTA tuner I'd think it should - they're very similar receivers.

Majack,

The point is that currently, for all providers DirectTV, Dish and VOOM there are not any DVR products that record Analog OTA (or cable) as well as the satellite signal. The 921 does have an OTA tunner, but is not equiped with an encoder so it only records the Digital OTA signals.

The only solution at this time is one of the "stand-alone" TIVO units (not any of the Direct TIVO either). Personally, these stand alone devices are going to become obsolte at some point when all OTA are digital, since the stand alone TIVO units only support the Analog signals (at this time).

Hope that helps. Guess my long winded answer is that changing from Dish to another provider isn't going to solve this problem for you (in case that was a thought in the back of your mind).

In any case, enjoy your existing DVR.

522 UHF Pro vs IR remote

Locals/Superdish question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)