Real vMVPD US subscribers totals

That said, my own suspicion is that as is the case with so many current-day so-called "journalists," he merely concocted a number he liked, got comfortable with it, and then just plugged it in.

The above notwithstanding, if you have any actual evidence to the contrary, I am all ears (eyes).
LOL. The irony of posting your own evidence-free unsubstantiated suspicion and then asking Bruce to provide evidence to the contrary.

• Haha
Reactions: Bobby
Yes, suspicion, as in opinion. The irony, indeed.
You did not even know that DirecTV subscriber number were still publicly available-
Since DIRECTV stopped reporting subscriber numbers when they went private in 2021
Which, like the Stream numbers, I posted a link for.

Instead of questioning sources, should be more worried that DirecTV is still losing 500,000 subs a quarter on average and will drop under 10 Million as of the second quarter.

By the way, those numbers reported for the other streaming services were correct, no real reason to disbelieve the Stream numbers.

IMG_1319.png

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You did not even know that DirecTV subscriber number were still publicly available-

Which, like the Stream numbers, I posted a link for.

Instead of questioning sources, should be more worried that DirecTV is still losing 500,000 subs a quarter on average and will drop under 10 Million as of the second quarter.

By the way, those numbers reported for the other streaming services were correct, no real reason to disbelieve the Stream numbers.

View attachment 172012
As previously stated, DIRECTV subscriber numbers are not publicly available, nor have they been since 2021. Your repost of the same chart reporting the same unverifiable DIRECTV STREAM numbers changes none of that.

Oh, and why would I be at all "worried" that DIRECTV, or any other MVPD, is losing "subs?" It's just TV...

As previously stated, DIRECTV subscriber numbers are not publicly available, nor have they been since 2021. Your repost of the same chart reporting the same unverifiable DIRECTV STREAM numbers changes none of that.
you are ignoring this post-

I do not know where they received the numbers, but the numbers for each DirecTV service are out there now, since AT&T is putting up their 70% of the company for sale this August, any Financial Group or Journalists has access.

I do have this, Fitch Ratings last reported the numbers a few months ago for the company as a whole-

DIRECTV's video subscriber base (combined DIRECTV, U-verse, DIRECTV Stream) is the third largest traditional multi-channel video programming distributor (MVPD) in the U.S. with approximately 11.3 million subscribers at the end of 3Q23.

So with a average of 500,000 lost per quarter ( also in that report), that gives them a total of 10.3 Million as of now.

It is easy to figure out the average of losses, from the first link-

U.S. with approximately 13.3 million subscribers at the end of 3Q22,

Second link-

U.S. with approximately 11.3 million subscribers at the end of 3Q23.

So that is 2 Million gone in 4 Quarters ( a year), a average of 500,000

You posted that the link for Stream numbers might be incorrect, yet you offered no evidence for that assumption, I, at least, did put up links, yet you put it on me to prove they were correct.

you are ignoring this post-

You posted that the link for Stream numbers might be incorrect, yet you offered no evidence for that assumption, I, at least, did put up links, yet you put it on me to prove they were correct.
I "ignored" nothing, and, in fact, specifically addressed every salient point, so let me try one more time, after which I am through with both you and this thread.

Based upon the author's lack of citation with regard to how he either obtained or derived the DIRECTV STREAM subscriber numbers, and given the fact that DIRECTV has not publicly released subscriber numbers since 2021 (both of which are statements of fact, aka "evidence," upon which I based my opinion), it is my suspicion/opinion that he merely made them up.

The above notwithstanding, if you, or anyone else has any factual (evidentiary) data to the contrary, I am most certainly open to it, otherwise, I am done with you in particular and this nonsensical thread in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: meStevo
While the Stream numbers are believable, I tend to agree that they are suspect without any verified source. Too much crap on the Internet is just based on a single source with no corroboration.

What is less believable is DirecTV is making enough money on that number of subscribers to make it a worthwhile venture long-term.

Reactions: RaiderPower and KAB
Based upon the author's lack of citation with regard to how he either obtained or derived the DIRECTV STREAM subscriber numbers,
That is how journalism works, unnamed sources, because if he names them, they will, at least, no longer provide information or at risk of losing their employment.
and given the fact that DIRECTV has not publicly released subscriber numbers since 2021
But they have, I have already posted the link twice, just because they are no longer in the quarterly report does not mean they are not released.

Fitch’s Ratings is one source, AT&T reports the subscriber numbers to them, then they write their reports, which is available publicly as my link has proven.

That is the evidence the company is still losing 500,000 a quarter and with the 2nd quarter almost complete, based on the average, dropped under 10 Million subscribers.
(both of which are statements of fact, aka "evidence," upon which I based my opinion), it is my suspicion/opinion that he merely made them up.
But the point you are missing, your suspicion/opinion is not evidence they are incorrect.

I know they are not because of my employment, but I have no evidence beyond that , hence why I posted the link, which I would not of done so if it was incorrect.
The above notwithstanding, if you, or anyone else has any factual (evidentiary) data to the contrary,
Again, you are the one challenging the data, it is up to you to prove it is erroneous.

Reactions: meStevo
That is how journalism works, unnamed sources, because if he names them, they will, at least, no longer provide information or at risk of losing their employment.
Disclaimer: I worked for an actual news organization that was 150+ years old when I left after 12 years.

Journalism is absolutely about having multiple data sources to corroborate assertions. What is published in the link you provided is not journalism. At best, it is market analysis, which is a different thing with a much lower standard of confidence in sources. At worst, it is the internet equivalent of the cable news catch phrase "some people are saying."

Disclaimer: I worked for an actual news organization that was 150+ years old when I left after 12 years.

Journalism is absolutely about having multiple data sources to corroborate assertions. What is published in the link you provided is not journalism. At best, it is market analysis, which is a different thing with a much lower standard of confidence in sources. At worst, it is the internet equivalent of the cable news catch phrase "some people are saying."
But that still does not disprove the numbers, specially since all the other ones listed match up to what has been reported .

As far as we know, he did have the data from different sources.

But RaiderPower posted the numbers were false, so it should be up to him to prove that assertion.

I love the debate, but I would prefer some evidence other then opinions.

By the way, I posted this back in March, which helps back up the subscriber numbers-

My numbers from work is DirecTV Stream and by Internet, have less then 1.5 Million together vs the 8 Million YTTV have.

Last edited:
But that still does not disprove the numbers, specially since all the other ones listed match up to what has been reported .

As far as we know, he did have the data from different sources.

But RaiderPower posted the numbers were false, so it should be up to him to prove that assertion.

I love the debate, but I would prefer some evidence other then opinions.

By the way, I posted this back in March, which helps back up the subscriber numbers-
The numbers maybe accurate or not. We can't really know without the companies actually reporting them which they don't. I am just saying I view the numbers with a skeptical eye due to the source. Either way, it doesn't look good for D* Stream.

Apple TV+ Is the New HBO

Comcast fees for Frisco area