Questions about Hopper Plus

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
So I re-upped for another two years the day before the increase, got a discount and price locked. Before I got off the call, the CSR lady said that since I had just agreed to that, I am now eligible for a Hopper Plus free of any charge. The guy came and installed it this morning.

I am sure to find more issues, but here's what I have so far:

1. I have a HDMI matrix 4x4 device which distributes the signals from the main entertainment cabinet to other rooms over HDMI cables. The main TV is 4K UHD, the one in the bedroom is 1080 HD, and another further away is also 4K UHD but the HDMI won't carry 4K that far. This was never an issue before because the default resolution for the Hopper 3 is 1080 unless viewing 4K content, so we could see Dish in all the rooms without needing extra receivers or Joeys.

The Hopper Plus seems to upscale everything to 4K UHD, meaning that the rest of the TVs now have no signal. There also seems to be no way in the H+ settings to change the output resolution. I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure the HDMI output from the Hopper 3 is disabled when a H+ is connected.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong or suggest a simple workaround!

2. There appears to be no FaceBook app in the Google Play store for this device. It does have Kodi and VLC, one of which I was able to get to talk to my Windows network and playback my from my video storage share, so FB is the only thing requiring me to keep a computer at this TV since sometimes we watch FB live broadcasts.

Thanks

Edit 1. This always happens after I take the time to write out a problem and think through it. My HDMI matrix has an EDID customization feature, I just had to refamiliarize myself with it. I can tell it that Input 1 (the H+) is going to be a 1080p with 5.1 audio regardless of the fact that it's a 4K UHD set at the output that the H+ was seeing. I just have to reverse the procedure, if and when I want 4K UHD output from the H+ to that main TV again. Crisis averted, for now. Unless you guys come up with some even better solution for me.

Last edited:
Issue 3. The 40.0 remote is not fully supported, i.e. several of the buttons don't work or work differently than expected. If they're pushing this new-fangled tech on us old fogies the least they can do is make sure our preferred remotes still work.

I'm thinking that Dish is supposed to give you new remotes, along with the upgraded equipment .
Maybe. I already have 4 of the 54.x series, but we prefer the 40.0 because it's functionally identical to what we had with the 522 and ViP622 receivers back in the day and just works better IMO.

Issue 3. The 40.0 remote is not fully supported, i.e. several of the buttons don't work or work differently than expected. If they're pushing this new-fangled tech on us old fogies the least they can do is make sure our preferred remotes still work.
The Tech didn't give you 54 Model remotes???? Good grief.
No you cannot change the video output any longer and I never tried the HDMI output, but you can see. I don't think it'll work, but YMMV. I would see if there's a way you could sideload FB or see if Aptoid is in the Play Store

Reactions: charlesrshell
This was discussed by many of us when the plus came out. Dish simply os not interested vin making it work with the 40.0nremote. They know that many users want that bit they just do not think it is a problem worth solving.

EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

I'm tired of the H3 audio cutouts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts