Question For The Experts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
My father in law bought an old Gen 6 RCA receiver from a friend of his that used to have D*. My father in law wants to put this receiver in his grandkids playroom, but when he phoned D* the csr told him that the card (P4 still sealed in factory plastic and never used) would not work with that old of a receiver, so D* wants him to buy a new card for $75. I have never heard of this. I told him that the card is still sealed so it should work and to hold off till I could find out for him.

I've never heard of a Directv Access card costing $75.
I've bought 3 in the past 2 years, and they have only ever been $20.

A new leased SD receiver is only $70

Kind of a unique situation.
That being said, yes the card will work with that receiver.
The problem is if the CSR can do it or if they can, do they know how.

CSR's used to be able to a lot of things they no longer can.
I would try calling back another time.
If the CSR can not get it done (it may not be their fault) ask for the department that can (I don't think it is tech support, I think they actually have reps that deal more in this department).

If the card had been activated then there is nothing they can do.
However, this does not sound like the case as it is still sealed.
However, I can activate sealed cards all day long.

I've never heard of a Directv Access card costing $75.
I've bought 3 in the past 2 years, and they have only ever been $20.

A new leased SD receiver is only $70

Yeah, I have always heard $20 also but D* pricing and policy changes almost as much as I change my underwear (quite often actually).

Yeah, I have always heard $20 also but D* pricing and policy changes almost as much as I change my underwear (quite often actually).

I think they were told wrong or misunderstood ....
Access Cards have been $ 20 for a long long time.

I think they KNOW better than to expect someone to pay $ 70 for an access card.

Well he has been with D* since 06 and has 2 H20 receiver's on his main HDTV's but this gen 6 rca is going on an Older 36" Sony Wega(Very Heavy) that they bought in 03 and is now in the grandkids playroom. I believe 101 is all he needs for that tv. I think the csr might have been confused or my father in law wasn't being clear enough. The guy he bought the receiver from had 2 cards an old HU which was the subbed card to the receiver and a new sealed P4 with a letter stating somthing to the effect of a card swap. Now the original owner had switched to Dish shortly before but D* still sent him the new card in the mail anyway. That brings us to now and I think after my father in law explained this to the csr they where confused. The whole thing confuse's me just thinking about it. Anyway I will tell my father in law to call back and not mention anything just tell D* he has a used receiver that he bought from a friend and give them the receiver & card # and have them activate it if they can.

Well he has been with D* since 06 and has 2 H20 receiver's on his main HDTV's but this gen 6 rca is going on an Older 36" Sony Wega(Very Heavy) that they bought in 03 and is now in the grandkids playroom. I believe 101 is all he needs for that tv. I think the csr might have been confused or my father in law wasn't being clear enough. The guy he bought the receiver from had 2 cards an old HU which was the subbed card to the receiver and a new sealed P4 with a letter stating somthing to the effect of a card swap. Now the original owner had switched to Dish shortly before but D* still sent him the new card in the mail anyway. That brings us to now and I think after my father in law explained this to the csr they where confused. The whole thing confuse's me just thinking about it. Anyway I will tell my father in law to call back and not mention anything just tell D* he has a used receiver that he bought from a friend and give them the receiver & card # and have them activate it if they can.

Also might want to verify that it is NOT a leased unit, you didn't say what model it was, I think the non D* branded units went away around '06 and that it should be a OWNED unit, but check just to be sure.

Directv Brand Recivers are the only receivers EVER leased. And Not all of them were.
Many D10,D11,R15,H20's were not.
But if they were giving to you by D* after March of 2006 to replace defective equipment, they now are leased.
So just because you might have a D10, doesn't mean you own it,Not unless you had it Prior to March of 2006 or you bought it off Ebay.

RCA,Philips,SONY,TIVO/Directv,Hughes,Samsung were NEVER leased.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upgrade to HD??

DirecTV just installed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts