Question about ViP 211 and 211k Support for Vacation Home

If I’m not on this forum for a week, check the hospitals. Or the morgues.

;)
In my case, it was different since we were rarely home at the AirBnB and I usually check the forums here by computer which I do every few days. The issue is that I can only do things online while at the AirBnB... because Xfinity Mobile as a Verizon MVNO sucks! I arrived in Toronto on July 23, 2024, Voice and SMS works fine but the unlimited data at 256kbps in Canada/Mexico does not as I was connected to Freedom Mobile but it's sync no surf so there was no data going in or out. I was dealing with 50-60 XFinity Mobile support reps online and even called their data roaming support with a Denver, Colorado number and they still did not fix it.... What fixed it was visiting Niagara Falls on July 29, 2024 which first connected to Verizon on the US side even though I was on the Canada side and then it connected to Telus and remained on Telus until I made it to the airport and then it went back to Freedom again.... Other people in our party who were native Verizon were connected to Rogers and had working service. So basically I am trying to make use of whatever time I had when not outside which wasn't much.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m just saying I’m addicted.
Looks like navychop's award just came in...

1722736424947.png

Attachments

• 1722736154225.png
    1722736154225.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 25
Good news on the vacation home, I shut down the old 211 and hooked up the new 211k. It ran through all the switch checks and downloaded software, then asked about the TV and asked about the old receiver being replaced. It spun its wheels, tried accessing our account, but it failed to register. Calling Dish, I was able to get the new receiver added to the vacation account and turn off the 211.

After it was activated, the message popped up saying that EHD support was enabled, so I plugged in the EHD and all programs were watchable, even the oldest.

So, I did my family Tech Support duty by replacing the old flaky ViP 211. It has had a long life, and it now just sitting in a box, waiting to be called back up to the Majors. ;)

One thing I noted was the Security card in the 211 was a G3 card and the new 211k is a G4 card (same as the other 211k).
Hey I know this isn’t entirely relating to the subject but, I don’t think you can swap an Ehd between receivers regardless of what they as the recordings are tied to that smart card if the receiver and the account, and as for the 211 I wouldn’t just give up on it once you remove it from your account as you can still use it as an ota receiver or a sort of TiVo as long as it has an antenna plugged into the ota port and active connection to the sat. Also since you’ve previously activated dvr service onto the receiver, I’m pretty sure it will still keep the dvr function on the receiver as well. But why use it like this you may ask? Well it’s perfect for a spare room or just to use for ota or even just to watch the previous recordings on it, same things go for the 722 if you still have it

Actually, I have never had an issue moving an EHD between Dish receivers on my account within the same Family of receivers. I have used my 622 EHD on my 722, and that is now on my Hopper 3. Likewise, I can take the EHD on the ViP 211 (now 211k) and have access to all its programs on the new living room 211k or the bedroom 211k.

The problem I think with the one EHD was it started on the 211 when it was on my home account. For some reason, that account was tied to the Outdoor account when it was created so it was authorized to play back those recordings. Unfortunately, one year when my Brother-in-Law started up the account in the spring, he ended up creating a new account instead of reactivating the existing account. At that time, I believe the link was severed and even though we got the Outdoor account reactivated, that link is gone.

Thinking about the new 211k, I guess I need to fire the old 211 up and pull the timers off of it. I forgot to make note of them before swapping the receivers. Oops.
…and as for the 211 I wouldn’t just give up on it once you remove it from your account as you can still use it as an ota receiver or a sort of TiVo as long as it has an antenna plugged into the ota port and active connection to the sat. Also since you’ve previously activated dvr service onto the receiver, I’m pretty sure it will still keep the dvr function on the receiver as well.
Since we have the 1000.2 EA DPP LNBf with each receiver being fed from the LNBf, I would need to install a DPP compatible switch to enable the other bedroom with the 211. I have a DP34 but I don’t believe it’s going to work with the 1000.2 DishProPlus hardware we have. I believe I would need a DPP44 switch. But, that’s extra money for a feature that we’d probably never use (never say never, right?)(I can think of a couple of scenarios involving the next generation of the Foxbat clan)

Last edited:
Actually, I have never had an issue moving an EHD between Dish receivers on my account within the same Family of receivers. I have used my 622 EHD on my 722, and that is now on my Hopper 3. Likewise, I can take the EHD on the ViP 211 (now 211k) and have access to all its programs on the new living room 211k or the bedroom 211k.

The problem I think with the one EHD was it started on the 211 when it was on my home account. For some reason, that account was tied to the Outdoor account when it was created so it was authorized to play back those recordings. Unfortunately, one year when my Brother-in-Law started up the account in the spring, he ended up creating a new account instead of reactivating the existing account. At that time, I believe the link was severed and even though we got the Outdoor account reactivated, that link is gone.

Thinking about the new 211k, I guess I need to fire the old 211 up and pull the timers off of it. I forgot to make note of them before swapping the receivers. Oops.

Since we have the 1000.2 EA DPP LNBf with each receiver being fed from the LNBf, I would need to install a DPP compatible switch to enable the other bedroom with the 211. I have a DP34 but I don’t believe it’s going to work with the 1000.2 DishProPlus hardware we have. I believe I would need a DPP44 switch. But, that’s extra money for a feature that we’d probably never use (never say never, right?)(I can think of a couple of scenarios involving the next generation of the Foxbat clan)
Yeah that makes sense, I also just realized since it has a g3 card you would also still get the free preview channels every month

Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

Questions from a friend