Question about ViP 211 and 211k Support for Vacation Home

🙄
😞
😭

13+ minutes. Not too painful. But she kept calling me “Louise” - Spanish accent?

She finally admitted they broke it with a recent s/w “update.” H378? And she’s had other calls on the same matter.

And that I might get a call in a few weeks.

She looked it up and confirmed I was a customer for the last 22 years and 7 months. And that I am out of contract.

She then tried to “give” me 30 days protection plan for free but it’ll be ~$11/month thereafter. I declined, saying let’s see if this issue gets fixed, because if not there’d be no point in the protection plan. Subtle. I did not threaten or get angry or upset. Maybe Karma is a real thing (been watching a lot of NDE stuff on YT lately). She agreed about the protection plan. Said they might call with info.

I guess I’ll leave at least one EHD on 24/7 now, in case they might “phone in.” Note she took remote control of my unit with my permission. I hope that sticks. But they already know the problem.

On to alternatives. Neither YTTV nor Hulu (not long for this world?) have all the channels we want. Will keep looking.

Reactions: charlesrshell
🙄
😞
😭

13+ minutes. Not too painful. But she kept calling me “Louise” - Spanish accent?

She finally admitted they broke it with a recent s/w “update.” H378? And she’s had other calls on the same matter.

And that I might get a call in a few weeks.

She looked it up and confirmed I was a customer for the last 22 years and 7 months. And that I am out of contract.

She then tried to “give” me 30 days protection plan for free but it’ll be ~$11/month thereafter. I declined, saying let’s see if this issue gets fixed, because if not there’d be no point in the protection plan. Subtle. I did not threaten or get angry or upset. Maybe Karma is a real thing (been watching a lot of NDE stuff on YT lately). She agreed about the protection plan. Said they might call with info.

I guess I’ll leave at least one EHD on 24/7 now, in case they might “phone in.” Note she took remote control of my unit with my permission. I hope that sticks. But they already know the problem.

On to alternatives. Neither YTTV nor Hulu (not long for this world?) have all the channels we want. Will keep looking.
I have H379 and my single ancient EHD is working as expected. I gave it a quick check after I saw your earlier post.

I believe it has to do with the age (or size?) of the HDDs.

But you said “ancient.”

Some other identifier? H3 chipset?

That damned Brazilian butterfly?

I’d have to open the enclosures and look. Maybe later, after the next gazillion honeydew list items gets done.

I really don’t want to leave Dish. But after so much content lost, and now this, makes it hard to keep paying extra. Just love the Hopper and the interface.

And the EHDs.

I’d have to open the enclosures and look. Maybe later, after the next gazillion honeydew list items gets done.

I really don’t want to leave Dish. But after so much content lost, and now this, makes it hard to keep paying extra. Just love the Hopper and the interface.

And the EHDs.
I'm not leaving Dish till they leave me.

Reactions: Foxbat
Good news on the vacation home, I shut down the old 211 and hooked up the new 211k. It ran through all the switch checks and downloaded software, then asked about the TV and asked about the old receiver being replaced. It spun its wheels, tried accessing our account, but it failed to register. Calling Dish, I was able to get the new receiver added to the vacation account and turn off the 211.

After it was activated, the message popped up saying that EHD support was enabled, so I plugged in the EHD and all programs were watchable, even the oldest.

So, I did my family Tech Support duty by replacing the old flaky ViP 211. It has had a long life, and it now just sitting in a box, waiting to be called back up to the Majors. ;)

One thing I noted was the Security card in the 211 was a G3 card and the new 211k is a G4 card (same as the other 211k).

What? You hijacking the thread back to its original purpose?
😂
As the OP, I felt a certain obligation to update everyone on the status of the original concern.

Regarding the unique programming on the one EHD that goes back to the ViP 211 on our home Account pre-H3, I suppose it "should" be possible to bring home the 211 and the EHD in question, place it back on my Home Account, and then see if the programs are playable. Of course, I'd need a different EA dish to make that work (which I believe is taking up room in my basement) to get it moved. Then, I'd be using the Analog Hole to convert the events to MP4.

Maybe the HDMI encoders they use where I used to work would transcode the signals since the events should have no HDCP restrictions (OTA broadcasts on PBS). The HBO and Jay Leno events would probably fail, so again, how much trouble should I go through to see if I can recover this old programming?

how much trouble should I go through to see if I can recover this old programming?
However much you like. Depends on how rabid a mad scientist you are, and of course how strong your desire to view it again. Me, I'd probably exhaust all available online options to find a copy first, if it looks really difficult.

So, I asked if the replacement 211k arrived okay and if my Brother-in-Law was able to activate it okay. It arrived, but he’s leaving the replacement to me as the silver 211 seems to be working just fine, thank you very much. It really needs to be hooked up to at least verify that it’s working. It would be bad if it sat in the back bedroom for weeks and when I got there, it turned out to be a brick. Solid Signal would be well within their rights to refuse to replace it if it’s been more that 30 days post sale.
If you paid with a credit card, your credit card might have a return protection benefit:
Search for "Credit Card Return Protection" with your favorite search engine.

If you paid with a credit card, your credit Foxbatcard might have a return protection benefit:
Search for "Credit Card Return Protection" with your favorite search engine.
I know you’ve been gone for a while. Foxbat now has that new 211K up and running and all is well.

Last edited:
Any instance of 00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07 is a corrupted DVR file and cannot be recovered.

This typically happens when signal loss or power failure occurs during the recording of the event. If the event was previously playable, it could indicate issues with the EHD.
In my case on a Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus, what happened was I was transferring from the EHDD back to the Internal HDD and the Hopper 3 did the nightly reboot so I have 2-3 of those corrupted files but I kept the recordings corrupted as I am about 100-200 episodes behind and what I can't watch with the DISH Hopper 3 DVR recordings, I will just watch it using the TVBAnywhere North America app using the Amazon Firestick 4K as the AndroidTV version of the app does not link to the online account so I can't save titles of shows I want to watch and access it like I can with the standard Android, iOS and FireTV versions of the same app.

Last edited:
I know you’ve been gone for a while. Foxbat now has that new 211K upmand running and all is well.
Yeah, I was on page 1 of this thread when I replied and see he has everything working just a minute ago but others can use it for reference if they needed to return something even if the merchant won't take it back. I wasn't gone that long as it's really been a week when I last read the forum but I just never saw the previous part of the thread before my trip as the last post was June 7, 2024 and then the next post was July 31, 2024 which was a day or a few days after the last time I read this forum.

Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

Questions from a friend