question about self-install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
I am interested in getting D* and I would like to take advantage of their current offer with the exception that I would choose to do the install myself, ie., install the cable, the antenna and the receivers myself (with assistance from a contractor/friend). It seems that they offer such but it isn't quite clear... For instance they offer a "self-install guide" on their website... But when I called to asked them about self-install, the person I talked with wasn't sure how they would arrange to get the hardware to me... They said "they might have to send it to an installer who would then hand it over to me"...?? So my bottom line question is how does one handle the arrangements to do a self-install??? And once you get equipment set up, how do you then activate service with D*?? How do you do the antenna aiming technique I have read about without having first set up the service with D*?? Or does that somehow work even before service is established?? And I have heard yes and no to whether or not one needs a phone line pulled to the area of each receiver??? How about that?? Clearly I am new to all this so any help would be appreciated... Any input??? thanks... diitto

Why not just let an installer come out to setup the dish and activate the account, and you can do everything else yourself.
After all it is FREE installation. I never turn down free help.

If you are absolutely determined to install everything yourself without any free help, call Value Electronics (link at top of this page) they ship all of the equipment straight to you. You don't have to buy from D*.

By the way, all of the dish aiming is done before you activate service, and as far as I know a phone line is not required, just highly reccomended (mainly for Pay-Per-View purchases)

I had such a terrible and inpatient installer I just begged him to pull out some extra cable from his van, leave some clips and give me the paper to sign off on that the job was completed. He would of done more damage to my house if I didn't step in. I was GLAD to do the work myself knowing it would work, be neat and long-lasting. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Question about Receivers

HD-DVR Deals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)