Question about new satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Ok got a Question... The new DirectV 8 sat goes up on the 21st I believe... this satellite is supposed to replace one of the existing satellites I believe (101?) When this satellite is in place it will have tons more capacity for broadcasting without need for compression.

with all that being said It is possible they may uncompress and add some new HD channels before the need for switching to the larger dish correct?

DBS uses compression no matter what. In fact at some future point the entire channel range will be using the MPEG4 compression scheme. That being said, they will be able to put more channels, at better quality, into the same space, not by uncompressing anything, and thus have MORE space overall. This new compression scheme, along with having more satellite slots, SHOULD help the current transponder overload as well as be able to add more channels, unless they retire or lose a satellite or hold off adding anything until AFTER the new gear is out.

I know about MPEG4 coming and I am familiar with the compression, however they won't make the switch to MPEG4 until EVERYONE has been upgraded. However beings this new satellite has more slots available for broadcasting, could we see either more HD or better resolution before the MPEG4 upgrades? with D* 8 going up?

Alvarez said:
I know about MPEG4 coming and I am familiar with the compression, however they won't make the switch to MPEG4 until EVERYONE has been upgraded. However beings this new satellite has more slots available for broadcasting, could we see either more HD or better resolution before the MPEG4 upgrades? with D* 8 going up?

No that would make too much sense.

Nice Avatar Vurbano, How did you do that when you don't have access to the servers?

Note: This is my 100th post. :D :) :cool: :clap @party

ramy said:
Nice Avatar Vurbano, How did you do that when you don't have access to the servers?

Note: This is my 100th post. :D :) :cool: :clap @party

The code of his signature just echo's back to you your settings and OS etc.. he doesn't have access to your information... its just an echo code.

Alvarez said:
The code of his signature just echo's back to you your settings and OS etc.. he doesn't have access to your information... its just an echo code.

Oh yeah I forgot you could do that, I am even a programmer. LOL

So to reitterate...

When the new satellite goes up at 101 and replaces the old one... they COULD increase quality and add more channels without a new dish install?

Not they WILL but they COULD...

Alvarez said:
When the new satellite goes up at 101 and replaces the old one... they COULD increase quality and add more channels without a new dish install?
No, they can't.

DirecTV is licensed for 32 Ku-Band frequencies at the 101 slot in the BSS spectrum. DirecTV already has four satellites at 101 to use those 32 frequencies. Therefore, an additional satellite is a zero-sum game when it comes to additional frequencies; DirecTV can only broadcast on 32 frequencies.

DirecTV 8 is being launched to replace DirecTV 2. I believe DirecTV 2 is using 8 of the frequencies, so DirecTV 8 will take over the 8 frequencies that DirecTV 2 transmits. DirecTV 2 will then be offline, to be used as an in-orbit spare.

There won't be any net gain in frequency use.

DirecTV 8 will have a Ka-band payload, however. From the looks of the press release, it will be used to bounce some of the HD feeds to DirecTV's broadcasting center, for use on the Spaceway satellites.

Good Lord :eek: you guys sure know your technical stuff. For us guys that buy all this stuff and subscribe to all of the packages and sit back and say look at the pretty pictures, we salute you! I have no idea what your talking about but will you guys keep raising cain so I can get my espn2 and TNT and anything else worth having in HD. I don't know the why's and wherefores but I can tell you that my frustration mounts! :confused:

Greg Bimson said:
No, they can't.

DirecTV is licensed for 32 Ku-Band frequencies at the 101 slot in the BSS spectrum. DirecTV already has four satellites at 101 to use those 32 frequencies. Therefore, an additional satellite is a zero-sum game when it comes to additional frequencies; DirecTV can only broadcast on 32 frequencies.

DirecTV 8 is being launched to replace DirecTV 2. I believe DirecTV 2 is using 8 of the frequencies, so DirecTV 8 will take over the 8 frequencies that DirecTV 2 transmits. DirecTV 2 will then be offline, to be used as an in-orbit spare.

There won't be any net gain in frequency use.

DirecTV 8 will have a Ka-band payload, however. From the looks of the press release, it will be used to bounce some of the HD feeds to DirecTV's broadcasting center, for use on the Spaceway satellites.

Thats what I was fishing for... I figured there was a reason they weren't going to upgrade the HD package and people were saying later this year or beginning of next year... its because they DO have to upgrade everyones dish and receivers.

Thanks for the in-depth response.

Greg Bimson said:

Why would they need to bounce hd feeds off one of there sats when they dont do that now seems alittle bit of over kill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lonely Tivo?

HD local channels without extra ant?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)