Question about 269 update........

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
With the 269, now there are two settings for screen format HD & SD. By using the "*" key, it only changes the value under HD, and like used to be. page down key makes the selection between HD and SD, but the value under "SD" seems no fact to my display (either using SD or HD input to my TV). I have the widescreen format display. Were those two settings related to each other or there are some other hidden feature to that?

Thanks in advance.

When using a s-video or composite output the SD zoom will zoom on the HD channels (16x9 content). It won't work on SD channels (4x3).

Thanks. I just found the way Dish do things just confusing. I have noticed on 921 it is by default. Why can they make things more consistant base. Oh well, I guess that is part of fun to be associated with Dish :)

I to have a wide screen HDTV. With DVI input, the HD format works fine on all channels, SD, HDTV, and DTV OTA. The SD format does nothing, which is fine. With an S-video or composite input, the HD format does nothing on any channels and the SD format only provides one zoom to 4:3 full size for undersized shots on DTV OTA Dish HD channels. Is that it? If so, why did they bother with the SD formatting? Anyone with a wide screen TV already has aspect ratio control. Am I missing something or is the SD formatting just for 4:3 TVs?

Because HD OTA programming comes out of the SD outputs undersized, as you have noticed. While you may be able to compensate using an HDTV's own format controls, that undersized image will record to a VCR that way, since VCR's do not have such formatting ability.

Why would anyone bother to tape HD content on VHS? Maybe record to DVD, but that generally has component inputs. OK, so the SD format is just for backward compatibility.

On your remote press page Up button to change ratio format on "HD" on your 16.9 HD and page Down to change ratio on "SD".

Looking for honest opinions:DirecTV vs Dish Network

Beating a dead cat: DD on 811 w/269 Not Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)