Q: CBS-HD Gray bar on SD programming

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
CBS-HD on chan 9483 on my 921

I tried changing the aspect through Normal, stretch and zoom. There is no gray bar aspect option.

Normal defaults to GRAY BARS which I hate and is distracting. I like black bars because I watch in almost total dark room.

HD content shows correctly full screen.

Is this right? :confused:

The gray sidebar option on HD went away a few versions ago when they tried to fix the SD channel aspect ratio problems.

Are you sure the side bars aren't being sent by the source (they have to fill the 16:9 with something)? I've only watched HD source on CBS-HD.

Does the Digital TV standard include a 4:3 option? Might be possible for CBS to switch to 4:3 mode, but there would probably be even more people confused by that.

Wouldn't the 921 gray bar options only make sense when the signals IT receives don't fill the screen (SD channel and 16:9 TV or Widescreen Source and 4:3 TV)?

Personally I'd rather CBS fill with black, but then the plasma (and some CRT) people complain about burn-in. I'd never consider a TV with that critical a burn-in issue (DLP/LCD is nice).

CBS-HD out of NY uses Gray Bars on SD material. There is nothing you can do to change that except stretch them off the screen.

StevenD said:
CBS-HD out of NY uses Gray Bars on SD material. There is nothing you can do to change that except stretch them off the screen.
Thanks StevenD.

That answers my Q.

A_Noland said:
The gray sidebar option on HD went away a few versions ago when they tried to fix the SD channel aspect ratio problems.

Just goes to show how often I mash the Format button. :eek:

Missing Guide

Connecting to both satellites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)