Putting a new FTA receiver in a separate room (Single LNB)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kourosh

Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
new york
Hi folks

I have a big issue. I got a FTA dish with one LNB, plus one receiver. I use it to Watch Telestar5. However I want to put a new receiver in a separate room. I want the channels to be controlled separately and I don't want the receivers to overlap.

When I went online to buy a new receiver to put in the other room, I was told by the pre-sales support that I need a mini-multi switch (such as steren 3 x 4) To make it happen. Line coming from LNB to the LNB input of the switch and then I can split it between the 2 receivers so each can be on their own.

I did exactly what they said but it is not working properly. If I try to switch channels on one receiver; then the other receiver loses signal on some of its channel!!!!!!!

May someone please help? I really appreciate your help

You need a dual output lnb to connect more than 1 receiver and still get independent channel control. With only two receivers the switch isn't needed, but it can still be used. With a dual output lnb and the above switch you could connect up to four receivers all with complete channel control.

I'm with SatPhreak on this: the dual output LNB will fix you right up ... for two receivers.
You'll need an additional cable run, too.
That's the minimum solution to your problem.

Now, if you want to go to 3 or 4 receivers, then both the dual output LNB and a multiswitch will be required.
That specific example is discussed in this post in our Switches Simplified FAQ.
It's a little wordy and might be hard to read 'n understand if you haven't digested the entire FAQ, but it's all spelled out.

The picture at the bottom of that post is for the next more complicated problem: two LNBs feeding multiple receivers.
Your less complicated problem wasn't deemed worthy of a drawing. :D
(but actually, we've been talking about adding one)
Hope that helps you understand how it's done.

So basically with my setup (1 Dish, only 1 LNB, 1 multi switch, 2 receivers) I won't be able to have independent control of the receivers? I asked the support a few times and they said it can be done. I am lost :-(

Lnb wire --> multi switch --> 2 receivers --> 2 TVs

Do you know of a multi switch that can accomplish this task without changing the LNB?

Last edited:
If your lnb has only 1 output it won't work properly with 2 receivers. You need a new lnb period. The only exception is if you currently have a bandstacked lnb, but since you didn't specify the brand and model of lnb you are using, I am assuming it it a standard lnb.

Edit: I reread your original post and this backs up the fact that you have a standard lnb,

If I try to switch channels on one receiver; then the other receiver loses signal on some of its channel!!!!!!!

This is why you need a dual output lnb, when both boxes are sending 13V then it is fine and if both are sending out 18V it is still fine but when 1 sends out 18V and the other sends 13V the one sending 18V will get channels and the one sending 13V will lose signal. In order to get both to pick either voltage without problems is a dual output lnb.

So basically with my setup (1 Dish, only 1 LNB, 1 multi switch, 2 receivers) I won't be able to have independent control of the receivers? I asked the support a few times and they said it can be done. I am lost :-(

Lnb wire --> multi switch --> 2 receivers --> 2 TVs

Do you know of a multi switch that can accomplish this task without changing the LNB?

There is NO such multiswitch. A multiswitch has two connections for each lnbf. One connection handles 13V and one handles 18V , connected to separate ports on the lnbf. That way the multiswitch can supply BOTH Horizontal and Vertical polarity datastreams, to any connected receiver , on demand.
:)

If you get a dual LNBF and you only have 2 receivers to connect to, then you don't need a multi-switch.

The multiswitch is used, if you have 3 or more receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New to FTA

Building dedicated home theater system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)