Problem with DTv picture on my widescreen. Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem372

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Ok, maybe this is a stupid thing to ask, and if so, I am sorry. I am kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

I have Directv with a new Directv Tivo DVR. The picture on my standard crt tv is fine. But when I am watching my 51 inch Toshiba rear projection I have a problem with pixelation (I think thats the best way to describe it). Especially on people's faces. I have adjusted settings, etc... but the problem is still there. I did not know if this is an issue with the Directv feed, or if it is a tv issue, or just standard for widescreens to have that.

Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks.

Definitely not wide screen.

HDTVs are generally bad at displaying standard definition content -- they're specifically made to show HD content. SD content does not have enough resolution to be displayed well at large sizes.

Get thee an HR10-250.

thanks. I have been reading a lot about compression artifacts and such. Sounds like just a fact of life with DirecTV. I was hoping for an easy solution like "switch from S-video to coax cable", but it sounds like I am out of luck. Thanks.

hey dem, it's not just with Direct TV. Same situation with cable or any other method. Fact of the matter is your TV being wide screen so I am gonna assume that it is HD capable needs to have an HD signal to fullfill it's purpose. I have a 106 in. diameter screen with my HD projector and though I still watch some SD programming on it, it gets pretty ugly. Switch to HD and the wows start. If you already have the TV to do it, you just have to make the move. See the HD tivo deal thread to get started!!

dem372 said:
I was hoping for an easy solution like "switch from S-video to coax cable", but it sounds like I am out of luck. Thanks.

If anything it would be switch from coax to composite

or composite to S-vid

or s-vid to component

or component to DVI (but is rather length limited on widely available cables)

coax would be the worst choice to deliver video to the TV.

yeah, but I dont want to dish out the $199 for the receiver. Are they giving those things away yet?

OK.. let me get this straight.. you spent over $1,300 for a TV, but won't spend $200 to make sure it doesn't look terrible?

H

Hogarth said:
OK.. let me get this straight.. you spent over $1,300 for a TV, but won't spend $200 to make sure it doesn't look terrible?H

LoL! AMEN!

dem372 said:
yeah, but I dont want to dish out the $199 for the receiver. Are they giving those things away yet?

Geez!

See if you can use an assumed name and change your telephone number and find out if you can qualify for a new user install. If you can, have all your current DirecTV stuff ripped out of your house. Then sign a new 2yr contract and get the free multi-room HD/HD DVR install.

I have a stone aged Panasonic TUHDS20 I can send you for $50 shipped.

Nice of you guys to just assume I don't have something going on in life that might keep me from spending an extra $200 right now. Situations change, money fluctuates. Maybe you guys are all so stinking rich you can just toss $200 around anytime you want. Me personally, I have had some things come up in the past couple of months that keeps me from doing that. Must be tough to understand that though when you have as much cash as you guys do.

dem372 said:
Nice of you guys to just assume I don't have something going on in life that might keep me from spending an extra $200 right now. Situations change, money fluctuates. Maybe you guys are all so stinking rich you can just toss $200 around anytime you want. Me personally, I have had some things come up in the past couple of months that keeps me from doing that. Must be tough to understand that though when you have as much cash as you guys do.

I'm not assuming that anything has come up in your life.

Any reasonable person would not buy a HDTV without figuring out how to get HD signals. I, for example, did not bother buying a HDTV until I could afford a HD receiver.

So you should've come up with $1,500 in the first place, or $1,300 and gotten cable, or stuck with your old 25" TV. Many of us had to.

Either way -- you don't have grounds for complaint.

H

lol...right. because people only buy widescreen tvs to watch HD. No one watches DVD's at all on a widescreen. Or football games not broadcast in HD. Brilliant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD Receiver

HD Receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)