Problem with 942 IR

mdweinstein

Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
I have a Panasonic plasma tv and a dish 942 box. Every now and then my dish box stops receiving signals from my remote unless I walk right up to the Dish box and hold the remote inches away from the IR receiver. At first I thought this was a problem with the box, but recently swapped it out and I still have the same problem. Then I thought it could be the plasma tv, but my stereo and dvd player (which are much older than the 942) work fine regardless of the tv. Any suggestions of what's going on here?

No offense taken. Actually, I should've mentioned that was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, that didn't solve it. Further, I have two remotes, a One For All and the Dish Remote. Neither works better than the other.

Is the Dish box behind glass, such as in a cabinent? Also, are you using any IR repeaters/blasters? Having tried two different remotes, it is either a problem with your 942's ability to receive the IR signal, or something is blocking it. I suspect something is blocking or degrading the IR signal before it gets to the 942.

Actually, I am using IR repeaters, and originally I thought this was the problem. Then I decided to open the closet door and aim the remote directly at the box and it still didn't work. Once it locks up, I can stand 5 feet in front of the box and it won't pick up the remote. Unless I hold the remote right next to the 942, it won't receive a signal. However, if I wait about 5 minutes or so, then the box will start responding to the remote again. Has anyone else had problems likes this?

Is it possible that the 942 is getting too many signals? I could be getting "doubled-up" from the remote signal and the IR repeater

Hey thanks for the help. It looks like this may have solved the problem. The transmitter was sending a ton of signals because of the plasma and thus causing the receiver to lock up. I unplugged the receiver and haven't had a problems yet. I'll let you know more if the problem comes back, but thanks a lot.

Uplink Activity for the week of September 25th, 2006

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)