PPV while tailgating

joedawg

Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Hello all! I am a new member although I've visited many times over the last few months. This is a great place for info. I have a question about getting PPV sporting events while tailgating. I do not have my home receivers attached to a phone line. For tailgating, I take the receiver(301) from my bedroom and hook it up to a spare dish (it looks just like my home's DP 500 but it doesn't have the "Dish Pro" logo on it--standard Twin LNB?). This Saturday I want to watch a PPV college football game while tailgating. Is this possible? I realize that I can't use my remote for ordering b/c I don't have my receivers attached to a phone line. Can I order over the phone sometime this week and be able to watch the PPV game at the tailgating site on Saturday? Does it matter that my tailgating dish isn't identical to my home dish? A ton of people want to watch the game while tailgating with us and I don't want to be unable to purchase it. Thanks ahead for any answers!

You should be able to order it ahead of time. Once you purchase something, its on your smartcard that it has been "purchased", and when the time comes when you try to tune to the event, it will let you access it.

You could also call up dish and order over the phone, I think they tack on an extra $1 or something. I wouldn't say anything about the tailgate though. They'd probably try and get you to pay some commercial account fee or something since your audience isn't "private".

Which football game is it? I didn't know you could order certain games by themselves.

HokieEngineer said:
You could also call up dish and order over the phone, I think they tack on an extra $1 or something. I wouldn't say anything about the tailgate though. They'd probably try and get you to pay some commercial account fee or something since your audience isn't "private".

if you order it via the phone..its $1 extra. You dont talk to a rep
If you do order directly via rep, its $5

If you try to order on phone via voice prompts and get kicked to rep, there should only be the $1 charge. I had that issue when I ordered a PPV....did the "to order __________" press 2. Pressed two and didnt get a confirmation, got kicked to cs. He waived the $5 fee (oh, how nice) :)

joedawg -
Assuming this game is just on the ESPN GamePlan channels, you can order the 1 day package online on Friday or Saturday and get all of the GamePlan games for $19.95 (as a 1 day event). Just go to the DISH website at the end of the week and order it. I did the same thing this past weekend!

joedawg said:
Hello all! I am a new member although I've visited many times over the last few months. This is a great place for info. I have a question about getting PPV sporting events while tailgating. I do not have my home receivers attached to a phone line. For tailgating, I take the receiver(301) from my bedroom and hook it up to a spare dish (it looks just like my home's DP 500 but it doesn't have the "Dish Pro" logo on it--standard Twin LNB?). This Saturday I want to watch a PPV college football game while tailgating. Is this possible? I realize that I can't use my remote for ordering b/c I don't have my receivers attached to a phone line. Can I order over the phone sometime this week and be able to watch the PPV game at the tailgating site on Saturday? Does it matter that my tailgating dish isn't identical to my home dish? A ton of people want to watch the game while tailgating with us and I don't want to be unable to purchase it. Thanks ahead for any answers!

ok, now that everyone has covered the ppv part... yes, you will have to do some changes on your receiver if you dish at home is DishPro, and the one you are going to use is "legacy" or standard twin lnb. Once the dish is mounted and lined up to the satellites, you will need to go into the menu, under "system setup", then "installation", then "point dish". That should show a signal if the dish is locked on to the signal... at this point you will need to select the "check switch" option and run the tests in there so it can detect what kind of lnb you have hooked up.
once that is done and it shows both satellites green and with all transponders you can just cancel out of everything and you are ready to go.

o, and then when you take it back home you will have to do the same thing so that it changes back to the DP lnb.

ps: if you are going to be lining up the dish using your receiver's point dish screen... the best thing to do is to run the "check switch" first thing, without the dish hooked up... so that the receiver clears what lnb it is trying to look for and it will start with a clean "switch matrix".
Then you should be able to hook up the dish, line it up, run your check switch, watch the game.

Thanks to everyone for your welcomings and replies! I was mainly worried about ordering the game at home then getting out there and finding that my receiver had "forgotten" that I had purchased it. It seems that it won't be a problem. As for who I root for--well, I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan through and through. Sic 'em DAWGS!! My wife graduated from USC and is a diehard Gamecock fan. We go to all the Gamecock football games just to tailgate mostly. But I have all sorts of friends on both sides of the USC-Clemson rivalry fence. I don't know if the game is offered as a single game purchase but I know that it is on ESPN Gameplan and that seems to be an even better deal--only $19.95 for eight games, I think. Thanks again for all your help!

Movie Ratings

Program Descriptions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)