picture upgrade

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
I was wondering if the folks with a 4K Tv get a better picture on the dish regular HD channels. I see mixed reviews on this. Is it a just slight improvement or is it a considerable improvement I recently bought a pioneer
AVR that is 4K capable, so I'm wondering if that would improve picture as well. Also wondering if waiting till the new standard of broadcasting is on board the tv's would be worthwhile Since there's not a whole lot of 4k on Dish I dont want to buy the 4k unless it improves the HD on dish now Thanks you guys are the best

Reactions: LQQK
And beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. If you perceive it as being better, it doesn't matter if everyone on here says it's worse (or vise versa). I think it will still be 5-10 years before ATSC 3.0 is widely provided. AND, there's no guarantee 4k content is what will be distributed. You might just see more HD & SD content.
Some stations are working on atsc 3.0 right now I just have a feeling atsc 3.0 will go full bloom next year.

Reactions: Chuck Summers
Some stations are working on atsc 3.0 right now I just have a feeling atsc 3.0 will go full bloom next year.
Not going to happen. ATSC 3.0 is only in testing in a couple of markets. Stations are still paying for the transition to ATSC 1.0 and HD, they won't go to ATSC 3.0 until and IT the FCC mandates it.

Too much infrastructure needs to be built to enable ATSC 3.0 for it to happen in less than 5 years. Not to mention the lack of 4k product to justify it.

If you have a 4K tv with HDR you need an a/v receiver with HDR as well. You also need the right hdmi cables that are made for the 4K TVs to so you can see full range with all the colors. Otherwise you won’t see much difference between Hd and 4K. I had hdmi cables from the last decade when I first got hd TVs and they didn’t show me a difference between what I had before in Hd vs 4k. Used the cables that came from the hopper 3 and the picture improved. With HDR you get more colors and shades that you don’t see with standard Hd or standard 4K.

And beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. If you perceive it as being better, it doesn't matter if everyone on here says it's worse (or vise versa). I think it will still be 5-10 years before ATSC 3.0 is widely provided. AND, there's no guarantee 4k content is what will be distributed. You might just see more HD & SD content.
I don't care whether it's in 4K or not just so it's not in SD.
I

Reactions: pattykay
If you have a 4K tv with HDR you need an a/v receiver with HDR as well. You also need the right hdmi cables that are made for the 4K TVs to so you can see full range with all the colors. Otherwise you won’t see much difference between Hd and 4K. I had hdmi cables from the last decade when I first got hd TVs and they didn’t show me a difference between what I had before in Hd vs 4k. Used the cables that came from the hopper 3 and the picture improved. With HDR you get more colors and shades that you don’t see with standard Hd or standard 4K.

HDMI cables normally either work and you get a picture and sound or they don’t work and you won’t get a picture or sound. Sales people want to sell their monster cables for a huge profit. Length is important. You need a high speed rated cable for long distances. Here is a link discussing HDMI cables.

Do you need new HDMI cables for HDR? - CNET

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm using an LG 4K with the Hopper 2 and it looks worse than when it was connected to the 720p plasma the new TV replaced. You're just magnifying the low quality Dish provides by having to upscale the image on a 4K set. I get a much better picture quality using a 40+ year old outdoor antenna than I do from Dish.

Luckily, I bought a 4K TV for gaming and blurays, not for Dish viewing.

Reactions: SandFarmer
I'm using an LG 4K with the Hopper 2 and it looks worse than when it was connected to the 720p plasma the new TV replaced. You're just magnifying the low quality Dish provides by having to upscale the image on a 4K set. I get a much better picture quality using a 40+ year old outdoor antenna than I do from Dish.

Luckily, I bought a 4K TV for gaming and blurays, not for Dish viewing.
I wonder if it would help if you had a hopper 3

HDMI cables normally either work and you get a picture and sound or they don’t work and you won’t get a picture or sound. Sales people want to sell their monster cables for a huge profit. Length is important. You need a high speed rated cable for long distances. Here is a link discussing HDMI cables.

Do you need new HDMI cables for HDR? - CNET

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
My original hdmi cables were from the last decade. They didn’t show me the same 4K picture as the high speed hdmi cables that came with the hopper 3. The picture went from hd to colorful 4K with HDR. My wife and I saw a marked difference in the picture. When we first got the 4K tv and used the ten years or older hdmi cables my wife said : I don’t see any difference. It still looks Like what we already had. Plugged in the high speed hdmi cables and the picture popped and the colors came alive. She even commented on it and said she was glad we upgraded to 4k.

Nat Geo Pixellation NOW

hallmark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)