Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
The following is a quote from Iceberg on a "tip of the day" post:

If you see a phone number on a backhaul, DO NOT call it. This is how stuff gets scrambled

Does this include not calling sponsors/advertisers shown on any given channel including G10 (equity) broadcasts?

I think if we (us viewers) we're to call those 800 numbers, they may track it back to viewers of the FTA persuasion unless if one we're to live in that specific DMA. I'm diggin deep here, I know. Just curious.

It probably depends on who you are calling and what its about. If it's a Time-Life collection or an infomerical, or to find out when a Chinese Resturant is open in Spokane when you drive through, there's probably no issues. If it's calling into the station to win a prize or bug them about programming, then it's probably not a good idea.

Anyway, good tip from Iceberg...Don't remind them that their off-screen antics can be seen by the world.

Wasn't one of the programmers from the EQ stations from g10r say that they knew we were watching their stations and asked if there is something that we wanted to watch, let him know. He also asked if we would call in to their advertisers and order their products?
I wouldn't call in if it's from any other channels.

Demographics could cause some confusion, but its likely nobody would tie an out-of-market order to FTA viewing. More plausible that you found out about the ad/product through a friend who lives in the area.

If asked, use that explanation, don't mention FTA satellite :)

I think if we (us viewers) we're to call those 800 numbers, they may track it back to viewers of the FTA persuasion unless if one we're to live in that specific DMA. I'm diggin deep here, I know. Just curious.

Most of those commercials on the Equity stations (the toll free ones) are almost like PSA's...they're free game.

Most of those I've seen on my local Minneapolis stations or on the ESPN Regional games (Big 10 football & Basketball) so those are moot.

Wasn't one of the programmers from the EQ stations from g10r say that they knew we were watching their stations and asked if there is something that we wanted to watch, let him know. He also asked if we would call in to their advertisers and order their products?
yep. We had a member from Equity Broadcasting as a member here :)

Demographics could cause some confusion, but its likely nobody would tie an out-of-market order to FTA viewing. More plausible that you found out about the ad/product through a friend who lives in the area.

That works too. Plus most of the ads (unless they're local ads) are seen on lots of stations

I will say that if I ever get the notion to start gardening, I'm getting a roto tiller, and I place full blame on Equity on G10 for putting the idea in the back of my head that I need a roto tiller! :)

Can't count the number of times I've seen that ad.

I will say that if I ever get the notion to start gardening, I'm getting a roto tiller, and I place full blame on Equity on G10 for putting the idea in the back of my head that I need a roto tiller! :)

Can't count the number of times I've seen that ad.

And if I ever need an IRS lawyer, I'll probably instinctively call Ronnie Deutch. Her number is probably ingrained into my subconscious.

And if I ever need to patent my invention, I’m calling inventech.

I was watching a hockey game over the weekend (Mankato vs. Alaska-Anchorage) and I saw those Ronnie Deutch commercials on there :D
(it was on a public access type channel)

Of course White Springs TV would love for you to mention to advertisers that you saw their ad on White Springs. The more response they get, the better revenue and that means they can afford to keep the channel FTA.

A lot of the "only 19.95" ads are run at little or no charge to the advertiser with the station earning a commission for each sale. Many stations run these ads in unsold slots as it does generate some revenue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How many here will be HDTV ready if FTA HD receiver debuts ?

1.0 Meter Primestar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)