People complaining about high sat. bill

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I get a kick out of all the people on these forums who complain about how expensive their bill is. Then they go on to say that they have all channels available, plus ALL the movie channels available. Gimme a break. How in the hell do these people have time to watch all these movie channels? I don't care if you're retired, you still can't watch all those movie channels, it's impossible. I could see one set of movie channels, but more than that is a waste of money. Instead of any movie channels, I prefer to be a member of Walmart DVD Rentals(same as Netflix) and get the movies I want, when I want them. I have access to over 16,000 movies.

buddy-specialed.jpg

Yaaaaaaaaaaay, you got movies, yaaaaay!!!

;)

forget that crap. I don't like sites that make you use M$ buggy browsers. And is just as easy to use pay per view than.

Speaking as one of the E* whales (to use the Vegas term), I like being able to sit down once a week and scan through the movie channels to see what is coming up and then record it to my 921. Especially if it is in HD on HBOHD, SHOHD, or HDMovies.

No returns, no censorship (BIG problem at Walmart),and no hassles. Yeah, it's a big bill (I'm at $190 a month) but by A/V Room is what I splurge on the most. An if you are wondering how I hit that...... AEP, New York Locals + Superstations, TV5, RFI, Playboy, Extacy, Sports Pack, HD Pak, 5 Receivers (4 of them PVRs), and a bunch of a la carte distants. I'll pass $200 in the spring when Extra Innings comes back.......

BobMurdoch said:
Speaking as one of the E* whales (to use the Vegas term), I like being able to sit down once a week and scan through the movie channels to see what is coming up and then record it to my 921. Especially if it is in HD on HBOHD, SHOHD, or HDMovies.

No returns, no censorship (BIG problem at Walmart),and no hassles. Yeah, it's a big bill (I'm at $190 a month) but by A/V Room is what I splurge on the most. An if you are wondering how I hit that...... AEP, New York Locals + Superstations, TV5, RFI, Playboy, Extacy, Sports Pack, HD Pak, 5 Receivers (4 of them PVRs), and a bunch of a la carte distants. I'll pass $200 in the spring when Extra Innings comes back.......

Damn. And I thought my $120.00 was high. This week I cancelled HBO and PB and one receiver in an attempt to reign in my bill. Though I already miss PB :D

JimMcC said:
I get a kick out of all the people on these forums who complain about how expensive their bill is. Then they go on to say that they have all channels available, plus ALL the movie channels available. Gimme a break. How in the hell do these people have time to watch all these movie channels? I don't care if you're retired, you still can't watch all those movie channels, it's impossible. I could see one set of movie channels, but more than that is a waste of money. Instead of any movie channels, I prefer to be a member of Walmart DVD Rentals(same as Netflix) and get the movies I want, when I want them. I have access to over 16,000 movies.

I cringe at the amount of money people spend on this crap. I'm paying Dish $55/month for 120 channels plus HD and I'm considering dropping HD to save $10 per month. And $20 per month for a DVD rental service? Seems like a lot to me. Does everybody hate network television that much?

Yeah, I pretty much despise network TV, particularly all the commercials I have to sit through to watch something. I enjoy movies and I don't want to have to pay late fees on rentals, etc. Speaking as an "E* whale", the more movie channels the better. :)

upNdown said:
I cringe at the amount of money people spend on this crap. I'm paying Dish $55/month for 120 channels plus HD and I'm considering dropping HD to save $10 per month. And $20 per month for a DVD rental service? Seems like a lot to me. Does everybody hate network television that much?

What I never can understand is how anybody can WATCH the Networks anymore. The big 3 are just unwatchable. I would switch 100% to Netflix if not for the PVR. If I had to sit through all the commercials, I'd never watch anything. Just got Sirius for the same reason, worth $13 a month to live a commercial free life. I have AT180 + HBO (dropped from the Everything Pack when I started with Netflix). I have NEVER complained about my Dish or Netflix bills. And there is always something between the two that I WANT to watch, as opposed to 'what's on'.

I have NEVER complained about my Dish or Netflix bills. And there is always something between the two that I WANT to watch, as opposed to 'what's on'.

I know what you mean. I DVR shows I want to watch, and I have my netflix movies. Why watch anything else? I am busy enough with that.

Network TV is a wasteland with an oasis few and far between. I watch exactly 3 network shows (Lost, 24 and The Amazing Race) everything else is junk. I record these on the DVR, as well as a number of non-network shows. Then I watch netflx movies.

I simply cannot stand to simply flip anymore, not with the ads. I have become spoiled I guess but I cannot go back.

BobMurdoch said:

www.blockbuster.com only 15 bucks a month now

I wonder why some are paying $120+ for sat. I personally can not get enough of these services...

Everything Pak = $90 mo
Sirius (2 Cars) = $19 mo
Blockbuster Online = $ 15 mo

Gotta love this stuff.

DVHost said:
I wonder why some are paying $120+ for sat. I personally can not get enough of these services...

Everything Pak = $90 mo
Sirius (2 Cars) = $19 mo
Blockbuster Online = $ 15 mo

Gotta love this stuff.
I'm with ya... I cannot believe what a difference it's made. When I get my hour of "me" time, it's so much more better :) I can't wait to see what they will come up with next.

long_time_DNC said:
Yeah, I pretty much despise network TV, particularly all the commercials I have to sit through to watch something. I enjoy movies and I don't want to have to pay late fees on rentals, etc. Speaking as an "E* whale", the more movie channels the better. :)

A lot of it is crap. But a lot of movies are crap too. But as far as television goes, I just find it to be more 'social' than movies. I watch most of my TV with my wife. When a commerical comes on, we can talk or go get a snack or whatever. I do find myself watch movies more often when I'm alone.

Network TV isn't so bad though. Most of the sitcoms are foul, but there are a lot of good crime drama's on these days. Most reality is crap too, but there are a few good ones. And there's a lot of good stuff on History channel and channels like that too.

My sat. bill is only $35/month, and that's plenty for our household. With the DVR we seem to have more programs recorded that we have time to watch them. We rarely watch "live TV" anymore so that we can watch a 1 hour show in 45 minutes (skipping commercials). We probably spend a lot less time in front of the tube than the average household.

Movie channel subscriptions would be a waste of $$ for us. We're pretty picky about what movies we watch and we don't watch most of the garbage that comes out of Hollywood these days. We find it much more economical to rent DVD's or use PPV.

Maximum

I agree with you 100%. I can't remember the last time I've watched a movie with commercials, I refuse to. ALL my movies are from Walmart DVD Rentals.
Yesterday I just switched to Blockbuster Online Rentals, they have a GREAT deal going now. For 3 DVD's or games out at a time, it is $14.99 per month, plus you get 2 free DVD or game rentals a month from any Blockbuster store. And the $14.99 price is locked in for 1 year.

DISH PASS feature and other software upgrades avail.

942 ($749) Why buy this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)