Out of Contract - Best Strategy as of now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tannersarms

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I've been with DTV since April 2004, which by my calculations makes me almost 2 years out of contract. I've only got the one DVR (a Hughes model, with just the 35 hours), I have the $94 package and always pay on time.

We've recently finished the basement and are looking to put a 37 or 42" HDTV down there. I know I can go to BestBuy and get a standalone HD Receiver for Free After $200 rebate, or apply the same rebate to a $599 HD DVR. But I gather that that DVR is using MPEG2 which won't be as good as the MPEG4 stream, and as I'm in Chicago I would expect myt market to be one of the first to receive that stream. Furthermore, I don't know whether things will change much after March 1st.

I guess my question is what deal am I likely to get if I call and tell them I want a HD DVR now versus waiting until after March 1st? Is $599 - $200 the best people have been getting? Also, for extra Ammo the GF has told me she wants to order the Center Ice package after the Olympics. Are the new HR20's going to be given out for free after March 1st?

I apologise if I'm asking questions that people just don't know yet, but I don't want to buy something and find I could get it free after March 1st. I also want to make sure that as I consider myself a good customer I don't get any less than everyone else who considers themselves a good customer!

Thanks for any help

Mark

Mark you might as well call Directv and ask them your questions. All dealers have to sign new contracts to continue selling after March 1st and we can't even get answers to questions. There is no way we can answer your questions. I'm not sure Directv knows what they are doing. An example, I received a letter dated Jan.19th telling me about programming price increases, in it was the statement Para Todos would not have a price increase. On my personal account I received a letter dated 1/20/06 notifying me my Para Todos package was going up on 3/1/06. The left hand dosen't know what the right hand is doing.

Thanks for your reply - I read one of your other posts where you mentioned that letter. Has someone told DTV that 3/1/06 is like a month away?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How many R15 folks.......

When did ESPN HD switch its audio to 5.1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)