OTA module installation

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
How easy is this to install ? Is it just a matter of connecting it to the back of the hopper with coax ?

Yes. You can scan for channels but adding a non scanned channel is expected in a future update.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would hope and assume it would pick up my 4 locals. NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox

The hardest part will be getting a cable from your antenna to the USB adapter. If you live close enough for rabbit ears it will be easy. Of course if you already have a cable from an antenna to the area of the Hopper it is also easy.

Im running 2 OTA modules, real easy and have been reliable.

In the living room I have a nice indoor antenna about 13 feet up, and itll get everything but out local Fox. In the bedroom, next room over, I put on of these up and it gets em all, even Fox.

Been happy with it so far.

http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/hdtv-antenna/flatwave-amped/

Biggest thing is finding out where your locals are direction wise, and how far they are. Luckily mine are all East of me, and about 20-25 miles. Im still surprised the flatwave outperformed the nice antenna in the other room, because the flat wave is about 4 feet off the ground on a window.

My stations are 7 to 8 miles from my house so hopefully I will get them all easily with indoor antenna.

One thing that hasn't been said is that the first time you plug in the OTA adapter you will have to reboot the Hopper for it to find it. The Hopper puts up a message telling you to do that. Then you do your channel scan and you're good to go.

Regardless of how many, it would always be nice to have more.

Remember that the primary local channels are available via sat. I forgot that, and knuckled under to SWMBO and did not order the module for today's installation. When I saw the sub channels weren't there, I ordered one from Dish. No idea if they're backordered, but Dish was the cheapest source. I suspect there's a reason for that.

Yeah but my locals aren't available in HD with dish so ill need OTA modules. I plan to have them before my install which is yet to be determined as I still can't make up my freaking mind if I want to switch to dish. But I need to just do it before the 22nd if I'm gonna do it.

Nice. Made me chuckle. We have uverse and the response time on the remote is horrible so everytime swmbo uses it and gets frustrated I say , " we wouldn't have that problem with dish ".

2 hoppers 0 joeys

VIP722, PIP, external audio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)