One station not in "Local channels" package

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
When I subscribed to Dish recently, I noticed the local channel list does not contain a very popular ABC channel that can be received in my area. Dish has a different ABC channel in their list. When it comes to network, shows are the same. But this popular station is viewed for local news and weather. IF the installer brings the correct DVR this Wednesday when they install, it will not be a problem. I plan on using the OTA for this channel.
My guess is Dish gets a group of networks for a price and if they allowed you to pick a different local station it would cause a problem with the package? Correct?
What also makes Dish decide what channels to put in a group as your local channels?

R.T.
(Great forum, by the way. . . .)

It's all determined by what DMA you are in. It's a government rule. Cable companys can add significantly viewed stations easier. Can the station you want be received on cable?

When I subscribed to Dish recently, I noticed the local channel list does not contain a very popular ABC channel that can be received in my area. Dish has a different ABC channel in their list. When it comes to network, shows are the same. But this popular station is viewed for local news and weather. IF the installer brings the correct DVR this Wednesday when they install, it will not be a problem. I plan on using the OTA for this channel.
My guess is Dish gets a group of networks for a price and if they allowed you to pick a different local station it would cause a problem with the package? Correct?
What also makes Dish decide what channels to put in a group as your local channels?

R.T.
(Great forum, by the way. . . .)
Which city are you located at and what ABC station are you trying to get? I'm taking a wild guess and say it's ABC 12 from Flint since I hear it's a popular ABC station.

If you want to make your OTA install Ez see tvfool dot com and see what way to point your ota for your chans hope your not on edge for any of your programing as you will have issues.

What gear you order? DVR 1 tv 2tv 6tv's??

Yes, it is on cable.
Cable is allowed to carry stations from nearby markets, while satellite is not. If I'm correct though, during primetime hours, the channel from "out of town" will show syndicated programming (i.e. re-runs) vs primetime programming (and only to those on cable and "out of town"). Make sense ?

Here in the Dayton OH market, Time Warner Cable customers receive FOX from both Dayton and Cincinnati but at 8pm, people in Dayton can't watch "American Idol" on the Cincy FOX station. They get "Everybody Loves Raymond", "Seinfeld", or similar.

Satellite providers are allowed to carry significantly viewed stations. DirecTV does it. DISH has chosen not to.

Also, there is no blackout during primetime. You get the same feed as everyone else. As a matter of fact, on DirecTV, you have to be within the footprint of the spotbeam of the original market to get them.

Dish Network Sub Contracting

Audo drop after being on an SD channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)