No IR for TV2 is a Problem .

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I hope Dish can and will enable TV2 on the 522 to be controlled using infra-red . While many may not see this as a problem because they control TV2 from another room using the UHF remote, in most high-end installations, the installer programs a universal remote to control all of the components which are usually centrally located in the home .

The reason they don't use the Dish remote is that it usually doesn't have the codes for many devices such as whole-house audio, home automation, lighting etc.

The advantages of using a universal/programmable remote:

Can control any IR equipment you have.
Much more sophisticated and flexible.
Macros can be used which make it easier for everyone to use.
You usually need to program just 1 remote, then download codes to all the other remotes in the house.

Again, many on this forum may not have the need for this (yet), but I'm hoping that if Dish monitors this post, they will consider it .

AJF said:
I hope Dish can and will enable TV2 on the 522 to be controlled using infra-red . While many may not see this as a problem because they control TV2 from another room using the UHF remote, in most high-end installations, the installer programs a universal remote to control all of the components which are usually centrally located in the home .

The reason they don't use the Dish remote is that it usually doesn't have the codes for many devices such as whole-house audio, home automation, lighting etc.

The advantages of using a universal/programmable remote:

Can control any IR equipment you have.
Much more sophisticated and flexible.
Macros can be used which make it easier for everyone to use.
You usually need to program just 1 remote, then download codes to all the other remotes in the house.

Again, many on this forum may not have the need for this (yet), but I'm hoping that if Dish monitors this post, they will consider it .

Um if i take my tv 2 remote flip the chip to where it goes by IR it turns on and off TV2 when in dual mode. Just tested it and it indeed works

I think you're still controlling it using UHF not IR . As far as I know, TV2 is UHF only.

AJF said:
I think you're still controlling it using UHF not IR . As far as I know, TV2 is UHF only.

Ok i had to test it again to make sure... i went to another room (my 522 outputs to the whole house) and tried the UHF... it turned on tv2 and was obviosuly working. I flipped the thing over and it wouldnt respond at all. I went to the room with the 522 and tried turning on tuner 1 with it and it would only turn on 2. im 60% sure that the IR was controlling the 522 tuner 2 but that 40% usually outweighs my 60% since my unit is weird anyway. Someone else test and find out.

The only way to be sure is to take the remote for TV1 and set it to TV2's remote address and then try to control TV2 . TV1 remote is IR only . That's how I originally discovered that TV2 is UHF only .

THe UHF remote actually does have an IR tuner though, it just doesn't control the 522 by default. It has IR because IR is needed to manipulate the TV itself.

Right, the problem is that the TV2 tuner does not respond to IR . Why they designed it like this is beyond me .

AJF said:
Right, the problem is that the TV2 tuner does not respond to IR . Why they designed it like this is beyond me .

Well, they figured that you wouldn't have 2 TV's in the same room, and that the second tuner would be in a "secondary" location. Do you have 2 rooms full of A/V equipment that would both require your all-in-one super remote? If so, I'd say you're in the minority.

I'm really not seeing where the "need" comes in. I mean, I guess if you have a roommate and you each have all your own stuff and you each have these Universal remotes then I could see it.

In what situation are YOU missing the functionality? If you go into Single Mode rather than dual, then you CAN control both tuners with the same IR remote.

Read my FIRST post rolandv, and you'll see that I immediately admit that "many on this forum may not have the need for this" . I was hoping to not have to waste my time (and everyone elses ) explaining why I "need" it, but since you seem to have a problem with my reason for it, here goes :

My entire house is wired for home automation, whole house audio, computer network, security cameras, automated lighting etc. All wires are home-run to a distribution hub in an equipment closet, where all of my equipment is housed, including my Dish network receivers .
I ran into this problem when I hooked my TV2 output to my Niles whole house audio system so that I can listen to the new Sirius channels . The Niles controls all of the sources hooked up to it using IR . There is the problem . Yes, I had to change it around and hook it up to TV1, but I'd also like to use TV2 with the system so that if someone wants to listen to another station in another room, they can do so .

I also have security cameras, lighting control, thermastats, etc that I want to be able to control using 1 "all-in-one super remote" which can do much more than the Dish remote . This was all explained in my very first post if you read it .

This is how it's done in high-end installations such as mine, and Dish will be losing out on such customers if they can't control their equipment using IR . Again, as I said in my first post "I'm hoping that if Dish monitors this post, they will consider it" which was my purpose for this thread, not to be answering why I would have a "need" for it to those who don't .

Newbie to Dish 522 - need help

What happen to P2.70 to P2.79?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)