Newbie needs Dish help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roseph

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Somewhere
I've been searching this forum for quite a while, trying my best to find all the information I need to get into FTA. I'm really confused and a little discouraged here... some of the discussion talks about 4.2.2, 4:3, blindscan and all kinds of other daunting things.

Well, the main reason I want to get into FTA is that I realized DirecTV and DiSH are selling the stations (even less) that I can receive legally from Chinasat9. And I can get a lot more than with DTV/Dish... so I'm pretty excited about it.

I honestly don't know where to start with all the raving about blind scans, etc... I'm looking for a cheap way to receive these 92.2°e, but not so cheap that quality is degraded.

What kind of dish do I need to use to receive 92.2°e, etc...?I read that I should check out some PCI card from Twinhan and just get a dish to go with it. Will any dish found on the side of the road work (people throw these out)? Or should I buy one? If I should buy one, can you recommend a good site? I notice you guys are big on supporting sponsers, so I can do that if it's not too expensive. I'm not really planning to do this all right away, but I want it done right when the time comes.

Now these LNBs, do I need to buy a different one? Or will a decent dish work out of the box? I don't plan to motorize it, as I'm not really interested in getting the whole KU band. I just want most of the Asian stuff.

Lastly, is there a type of dish that receives both C and Ku-Band?

Thanks so much!

I've been searching this forum for quite a while, trying my best to find all the information I need to get into FTA. I'm really confused and a little discouraged here... some of the discussion talks about 4.2.2, 4:3, blindscan and all kinds of other daunting things.

Well, the main reason I want to get into FTA is that I realized DirecTV and DiSH are selling the stations (even less) that I can receive legally from Chinasat9. And I can get a lot more than with DTV/Dish... so I'm pretty excited about it.

I honestly don't know where to start with all the raving about blind scans, etc... I'm looking for a cheap way to receive these 92.2°e, but not so cheap that quality is degraded.

What kind of dish do I need to use to receive 92.2°e, etc...?I read that I should check out some PCI card from Twinhan and just get a dish to go with it. Will any dish found on the side of the road work (people throw these out)? Or should I buy one? If I should buy one, can you recommend a good site? I notice you guys are big on supporting sponsers, so I can do that if it's not too expensive. I'm not really planning to do this all right away, but I want it done right when the time comes.

Now these LNBs, do I need to buy a different one? Or will a decent dish work out of the box? I don't plan to motorize it, as I'm not really interested in getting the whole KU band. I just want most of the Asian stuff.

Lastly, is there a type of dish that receives both C and Ku-Band?

Thanks so much!

If you are in North America you can't "see" that satellite, it is below the horizon.

Welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

So I have to buy it from DTV then? Ghetto.

I came across someone selling a dish network 500 receiver and dish, new in the box. It's $60, should I jump on it? To turn it into an FTA box, that is.

So I have to buy it from DTV then? Ghetto.

I came across someone selling a dish network 500 receiver and dish, new in the box. It's $60, should I jump on it? To turn it into an FTA box, that is.

I don't know jack about DTV or Dish (never had either one) but if you want those channels you will have to subscribe.

Won't they give you a free dish and equipment with some levels of service?

Don't try to convert anything, not worth the effort.

Where are you located?
There are 4 CCTV Channels available on the Sat. Galaxy 3C at 95 west that is available in North America.

Convert? Huh?

I'm in the United States. Thank you so much, Lak7! Galaxy 3C @ 95 west, I'm gonna give it a shot.

So, should I buy a regular dish from some dude off craigslist? One guy includes the cables + mount + dish + receiver for ~$40, but the catch is I have to go up there and get it myself. :p

Then I would probably go for a receiver from a sponser. How would that work out?

Convert? Huh?
It's $60, should I jump on it? To turn it into an FTA box, that is.
You post sounded like you were going to try to convert a Dish Net receiver into an FTA receiver.

Couple things....
A Sat Dish is a Sat Dish, size does matter. A "little" DishNet or DirecTV may be "usable", but not the best for FTA. I would see if you can find at least an 80cm Dish for the CCTV channels.

You can not use a DishNet or DirecTV LNB for FTA, they use a different type of signal, "Circular"
FTA uses a "Linear" signal.

See if you can get a Dish locally for Free, then contact one for the sponsors for the rest.

Ah, I see. I thought you could easily turn it into an FTA dish by just plugging it into a receiver - my bad.

80cm, good info. Thank you very much =)

Roseph, you might try looking around for an old Primestar, or maybe a Hughesnet or Diecway satellite internet dish. Probably best suited for a fixed (not motorized) installation but they can often be found for free, and are great FTA performers.

Lots of threads here detailing their setup and use, also.

That looks like a great setup, you can't go wrong with Sadoun, SatAv or WSI.

They are all sponsors of this website and I have done business with all 3 several times, and will be going back to all of them, very happy! :)

agreed. You cant go wrong with any of the sponsors here.

The setup you posted would work great for CCTV

Excellent! The main problem I had with the sponsors was the... designs of the website. I'm actually a professional web designer, and I guess I automatically assume "scam" when I see a website that isn't really up to par. But with all the testimonials I've found on the internet, I'm definitely going to check them out.

Hey Iceberg! I actually spent a lot of time reading your posts and reviews, and they were pretty much fundamental for me to take the plunge into FTA. I enjoyed them. In fact, I had been considering a T90 dish or two based on your review, but I saw a post where you were making sarcastic comments about it... I'm a little confused, is it good?

Now, we are looking into ordering basic service from DirecTV or DiSH network in addition to our FTA. I'm really not sure which path to take. DiSH seems to be good for the price, but is it good? Additionally, I need to know if I buy a DirecTV or DiSH Network dish (a larger one) from a sponser, one with dual LNB sockets or whatever... could I grab FTA signals in addition to the subscription service?

Will the receiver interfere with this? Or will it be fine if I split them with a switch onto two different receivers, but use the same dish?

Someone else mentioned something about dish size and rain. Should I buy a bigger DirecTV/DiSH dish?

Hey Iceberg! I actually spent a lot of time reading your posts and reviews, and they were pretty much fundamental for me to take the plunge into FTA. I enjoyed them. In fact, I had been considering a T90 dish or two based on your review, but I saw a post where you were making sarcastic comments about it... I'm a little confused, is it good?

I loved my T90. Worked great for up to a 40 degree arc so I had done 72-111.1 and had a separate dish for 123W....125 didnt exist at the time ;)

I went motorized now for that setup instead of the T90 mainly because I downgraded the setups. Didnt need 8 receivers anymore :)

Ah, that's good to know. I am thinking of getting one, but we'll see.

I do think I have another issue... that issue is that I'm in the woods. There are only a few acceptable line of sight positions near my house. Thank God one of them is the Galaxy satellite with CCTV. :)

So if I ever wanted to go full on extreme, how much would an absolutely gigantic C/Ku band dish with a 150 ft pole go for? It should be motorized too. What *should* I get? I'd definitely need some serious cabling to go as well.

Roseph, if you're going with the pay service, Dish or Directv be sure you read everything, if you're a new customer especially. You will be entering into a contract , for two years, as far as I know that is the minimum now. If you really want all those channels from China that might be the way to get them, I'm not sure all the channels in that package are available for free with an fta receiver setup. There are 4 channels as mentioned, on one satellite that are free, CCTV channels. Check out The List, top of the page there is a link, that will show some of the channels available on both KU and c-band (big dish).

I believe you asked one other question which wasn't addressed.
It had to do with using a DishNetwork or DirecTV dish to receive FTA with additional LNBs.
If you get a pay service installed, you must not mess with their hardware.
Their techs can't be bothered with your strange / custom setup, and they will not work with you.
Nor should they.

So long as you are subscribing, trying to reuse any of their cables or switches, much less dishes or LNBs is so custom, I would not even consider giving a newbie advice.
Nor, would I engage in a conversation with a seasoned FTAer, my feelings are so strong that you should keep the equipment separate for debugging purposes.

Now, do some of us do clever little things we don't recommend?
Sure we do.
But this is back to our childhood admonishment: Do as I say, not as I do. - :D

Thanks again!

Now, I know you guys don't recommend having newbies convert dishes, but I consider myself pretty experienced with computers (hardware) and other electronics; I'm just a newbie to satellites. From what I understand, if I were to get a hold of a cheap DirecTV dish, I could simply buy an LNB and a receiver from one of the sponsors and install it on the disc so I could receive linear signals.

Is this correct?

It looks like we've decided on the motorized setup from Sadoun, and instead of buying it later on, it will probably be purchased very soon.

We have a problem though... it seems I'm not trusted to install this. I may need to find someone in the area to do it.

Installing is not hard, but you need to learn / understand what's required.
Your Location has "somewhere"
Where are you located?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

FTA help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)