Newbie Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do I still want to find IA5-KU-97W even if I am trying to get Galaxy 19/25
The Satellite names often change and the Receivers are not always (never) up to date.
Even though the receiver has "IA5...." the actual Sat is Galaxy 19, the name will not affect reception. 97 west Latitude (not compass) is the important part.

Setup the receiver as Iceberg showed. Double check pole for plumb, hold dish in hand is near impossible.
Double check Dish Elevation, make sure you understand where to look on the Scale, on the Fortec it is Not the Bolt.

I the Receiver's Setup menu: -transponder should scroll to either "12177 V 23000" or "12152 H 22000"
Use a Compass to get a general idea of where the Sat is, set something on the ground as a marker.
Then point the Dish well East of that.
Then verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly, twist the Dish to the west.

OK. Now if all you changed on the order was the dish size, you should have the stock system which has a universal LNB.
Make sure the LNB cable is attched to the "sat in" slot on the back (might be listed as LNB in)

Turn on receiver and lets make sure everything is set up right

-press "menu"
-antenna setup
-select IA5 Ku 97W (should be on there)
-LNB type is Universal
-positioner is OFF or disable
-transponder should scroll to either "12177 V 23000" or "12152 H 22000"
-0/22k should be greyed out and auto
-switch and imput are set to "none"

now that we got the menus set, the elevation on Fortec dishes (from past experience) has been off in some cases so it may not be exactly at 36. Aim dish dead south (hopefully you can see the screen from the receiver...its easier to tune that way then having someone holler) :) and SLOWLY move dish west a little bit. KU Band takes more time to think then DBS satellites (Dish & Direct). Dont worry about signal strength, its QUALITY that matters.

If you move it west and dont get anything, slowly move back east. Try raising the elevation on the dish a degree and repeat.

Another option is to use the "aim and scan" technique. Aim it around 186 azimuth and hit the "PScan" button on the remote. What that does is scans the active transponders whereever you are and will load the channels in. You may not be on 97 but with satellites at 91,93,95,99,101 etc you're bound to lock on SOMETHING. Then we can go from there on where to move the dish.

(on a side note I'm kinda shocked you got the order already)

Dont let it get to you. You'll get it soon. PM me if you have some other issues and I might be able to help solve them
Could not find IA5-KU-97W Did find the galaxy 25

Do I still want to find IA5-KU-97W even if I am trying to get Galaxy 19/25

IA5-Ku-97W is now known as Galaxy 19.

Galaxy 25 has moved to a different slot and is not being used for much.

Just choose the 97W slot on your setup. You can change the name of the satellite later when you get things working.

Ok moved the dish could not find Galaxy 19 on the menu. Tried to get Sud for tech support to find the correct indicator for the tilt (not the bolt) no help. Iceberg: I plugged in Gal 25 with the numbers you gave me and still reads 40/1. Now what. I tried everybody else's hints and still no signal. Bad LBNF Maybe???. Laos how crucial is the LNBF skew?

If everything is not set up perfect, should you at least get some weak signal if you are close to being aimed correctly? Thanks

You are aiming for a very narrow slice. The satellite is 22,000 miles away, so, even 1mm of aim translates to many miles by the time you get 22,000 miles away.

Have you adjusted the elevation? The scale on my 31" Fortec dish was 5 degrees off, so I had to adjust that much higher to find a signal. The LNBF skew is a very important item in the setup on a stationary dish. If your skew is not close, you won't get any qulaity, and your current signal is just noise. I know the 40% signal is misleading, but, that's what it is. A bad LNB is possible, but not likely.

You could measure the voltage on the coax to make sure the receiver is actually sending power to the LNB. Some receivers have an LNB power setting in the menu, not sure about yours.

You are going to feel so good when you finally find this bird, it will be a feeling of great satisfaction. You'll get it. :)

Ok moved the dish could not find Galaxy 19 on the menu.
Galaxy 19 did not exist when the receiver was made, if Galaxy 25 is listed @ 97 west, use that, then have the TPs Iceberg listed selected.
The only way you will get the Quality Meter to light up is being properly aimed at a Sat AND have an Active / Live Transponder selected in the Setup menu.

You are aiming for a very narrow slice. The satellite is 22,000 miles away, so, even 1mm of aim translates to many miles by the time you get 22,000 miles away.

Have you adjusted the elevation? The scale on my 31" Fortec dish was 5 degrees off, so I had to adjust that much higher to find a signal. The LNBF skew is a very important item in the setup on a stationary dish. If your skew is not close, you won't get any qulaity, and your current signal is just noise. I know the 40% signal is misleading, but, that's what it is. A bad LNB is possible, but not likely.

You could measure the voltage on the coax to make sure the receiver is actually sending power to the LNB. Some receivers have an LNB power setting in the menu, not sure about yours.

You are going to feel so good when you finally find this bird, it will be a feeling of great satisfaction. You'll get it. :)
I understand wha t everybody is telling me, but I still cannot figure out how to get the correct elevation correct. I cannot find the marks or a picture of the fortec dish with the proper adjustment marks.

on the 36" dish there should be a red line on the one side. Line it up with that. If there is no red line then use the edge (where the red line should be)

otherwise try a power scan to see if you pick up ANYTHINIG (even if it isn't T5/IA5/G25/G19)

Attachments

• IM000130.JPG
    IM000130.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 126
Hey Ice thanks got that taken care of. I must have moved the dish to every possible direction there is from East to West and leaving the dish in that position for some time with no better quality. Has me stumped. I realized that scanning will not help if there is no signal including power scanning.

loadmaster,

Don't worry, with all the help you have here you WILL be successful.

Here are some of the mistakes I have made when aiming a dish. Any one of them could prevent you from getting signal. Here is a list of things to check:
1) Is the LNB type set correctly? Sadoun's Kit #1 includes a*'Universal' LNB. Make sure its not set to 'Standard' or something else.
2) Is your coax cable screwed into the 'I.F. IN' or 'SAT IN' on the back of your receiver? (Make sure its not in the 'TV Out' connector).
3) You have to select an active transponder on the satellite you are aiming for. Also, the polarity 'H' or 'V" and the symbol rate have to be correct. For 97W, transponder 12152 is 'H' polarity with a symbol rate of 20000.

Good luck!

loadmaster, I like this web site: DishPointer.com . Just enter your city, state and zip code and it will give your true south satellite, elevation, azimuth and lbn skew,and it will tell you the direction to turn it. Make all your adjustments in very small increments. At about 22,000 miles to the satellite, a "hair' is sometimes pretty big. Hang in there, it will fall into place.

DAMN!!!!!!! I did it. I must have been off just hair all of sudden I was receiving 38-48 sig quality is this good?? I went thru all the scans and found channels. Do I still have worry about what brettbolt posted or should I let well enough alone.

Now that I have it working a couple of general questions about satellites IF I aimed it at a different satellite would I get deifferent channels not sure how all that works. My last questions is what about locked channels Can you order or what.

I know that I could have not done this without all the help I received on the forum. I want to thank everybody that posted. If you are aver up in the Duluth Mn area you have a free fishing trip. Once again thanks alot Loadmaster

DAMN!!!!!!! I did it. I must have been off just hair all of sudden I was receiving 38-48 sig quality is this good?? I went thru all the scans and found channels.

as noted above, what channels did you get?

Now that you're real close, try and fine tune it. What I have done is kinda lean into the dish to see if the quality changes when it moves ever so slightly east or west. If it drops then you're proabbly on the sweet spot.

Then try to raise or lower the elevation to maximize quality.

The transponder that has the most Thai channels is 11966 H 22000. If you are on 97W scroll to that transponder and see what you get for quality

Not sure what Sat I found (how do I find out) also the same goes for the TP's. I get a ton of channels How do I get that transponder?

what are some of the channel names?

normally if you hit "info" when on a channel it will tell you the transponder info

DAMN!!!!!!! I did it. I must have been off just hair all of sudden I was receiving 38-48 sig quality is this good?? I went thru all the scans and found channels. Do I still have worry about what brettbolt posted or should I let well enough alone.
Congratulations!

No, if you have got 38-48 Q then you dont have to worry about what I posted. You would have to have all of those things correct to get any sig quality.

The only question is, are you on the satellite you want (97W)? You probably are, but to be sure you could compare the channel names you have with lyngsat.com's list for 97W.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone have any luck with the 1.2 meter dish

What SAT is this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)