Newbie getting setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Picaroto

Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
SF BayArea
Hi all,

Great website!!! I've done some reading around the forums but I'm hoping to get some final answers from you experts :)

My intent is to get FTA for the Portuguese Channel RTP which is broadcast on AMC4 (101W).

I live in California, SF Bayarea. I don't have any of the equipment, starting from scratch, with a budget around $200.00 to $250.00. Can you make some suggestions about which equipment (with brand name and model) you recommend:

Receiver ( I was leaning toward Viewsat Pro but am open to others)
Dish
LNB

Thank you all in advance.

Hi, sounds like you just want a stationary setup for the one satellite? You can check the advertisers at the top of the page to see equipment you will need. I suggest a 90cm dish, even larger, 1m if you have the room. I have never had a Viiewsat pro, maybe someone else can give an opinion on that.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi all,

Great website!!! I've done some reading around the forums but I'm hoping to get some final answers from you experts :)

My intent is to get FTA for the Portuguese Channel RTP which is broadcast on AMC4 (101W).

I live in California, SF Bayarea. I don't have any of the equipment, starting from scratch, with a budget around $200.00 to $250.00. Can you make some suggestions about which equipment (with brand name and model) you recommend:

Receiver ( I was leaning toward Viewsat Pro but am open to others)
Dish
LNB

Thank you all in advance.

Picaroto,

Lyngsat maps show the EIRP for 101W AMC4 to be 48 dbW for your area, which means that a 60-75 cm dish will be required. I would recommend the Winegard DS-2076 (76cm) dish. $65 (add shipping to this)

A great LNBF for this would be an Invacom QPH-031. $70 (add shipping to this)

As for a receiver, I would recommend a Coolsat 5000 or 6000. Unfortunately, these models are no longer being manufactured. They have been discontinued, but you can find them on E-Bay fairly cheap. Up to $100 (with shipping)

If you want to motorize this dish, you can purchase a PowerTech DG-280B motor from Sadoun for $80 (add shipping)

$315 roughly without including some shipping charges. Cable, connectors, switches and tools would be additional, maybe $150 depending upon how much cable you need, what switches you buy and the quality of tools.

I would say $500 is required to install a good system (motorized). If you bought everything new.

I know that is double your budget, but I wanted to portray the worst (highest cost) scenario for you. You will find that when you get started, you will just need one more thing and that is going to cost you more money.

Just one more point... This is a one time investment. If you subscribe to a pay provider, it will cost you more just to have the basic service for one year.

Radar

Last edited:
Why not check with SAtelliteAV, a sponsor here, they're in Roseville CA, not sure if thats driving distance or not but might save you a buck on shipping, to have a dealer in your own state. Link is at the top of the page.

also if the OP just wants RTPI the QPH031 is kinda overkill ;)
A simple single output LNB can be had for under 10 bucks :)

according to a map, Roseville is kinda close to the Bay area...just outside Sacramento...about 100 miles

If I was that close I'd make the trip :)

I will definitely check with the sponsors, as this site is excellent and deserves the support.

Thank you all for the replies so far.

according to a map, Roseville is kinda close to the Bay area...just outside Sacramento...about 100 miles

If I was that close I'd make the trip :)

That is a good idea! If Picaroto drops into the shop in person, he might get along well with the proprietor and sit down and discuss FTA and all sorts of information and find some nice deals on all sorts of used equipment and make some great buys!

I have a satellite and cable guy in my hometown that just loves to discuss the subject! I hesitate to stop in to chat with him when I am on my way to work because he loves to talk and talk and talk and so do I! Then I am late for work! LOL

But, he has actually given me old Primestar and Channel Master dishes and LNBFs and mounting brackets and switches and this and that! Basically, he tells me that he has all this old junk collecting dust in the backroom that no one will buy. If I will take it, he won't have to pay to dispose of it. HOTDOG! Damn right I want it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

:)

I think you guys know what I mean. He even sells me lots of stuff at cost, just because. I think business is slow and he just enjoys the conversation. I drop in and tell him about the new stuff that I have found and we get off on all sorts of tangents! A great time!

Radar

you see picaroto:) you came to the right place. the members are great here. :up

If in the future if you want to add a HH Motor, I would recommend the Fortec Dynamic. It works seamlessly with DiSEqC 1.2 / USALS motors without any issues.

SatelliteAV and Sadoun both sell this receiver (both of us are sponsors here).

The Sadoun PowerTech DG280B motor is highly recommended. We have been selling HH motors for several years now and this is the best brand motor hands down. :up

If in the future if you want to add a HH Motor, I would recommend the Fortec Dynamic. It works seamlessly with DiSEqC 1.2 / USALS motors without any issues.

SatelliteAV and Sadoun both sell this receiver (both of us are sponsors here).

The Sadoun PowerTech DG280B motor is highly recommended. We have been selling HH motors for several years now and this is the best brand motor hands down. :up

Sadoun,

Thanks for the tip on the Fortec Dynamic receiver. I will check it out for my own use. I don't really need a new receiver at this time, but if it is really great, I may get one anyway.

I have purchased all my Invacom LNBFs and all my motors from you and I have been extremely pleased with your service, prices and quality. The DG-280B is my favorite motor out of all that I have tested (SG-2100, DG-240, DG-280 and DG-380). It is just perfect and it is running smooth and fast! I do recommend this motor to everyone.

Here is my list of equipment:

Receiver: Coolsat 5000
Cable: Commscope Brightwire QuadShield RG-6
Switches: DN SW21/Chieta HD 4X1 DiSEqC
Motor: PowerTech DG-280B
LNBF: Invacom QPH-031
Dish: Winegard DS-2076
Meter: Applied Instruments SuperBuddy

Everything here works excellently together. I did have to fabricate some support arms for the LNBF (the Winegard DS-2076 does not come equipped with such supports, so I made them myself to emulate the DS-3100). That helps support the added weight of the Invacom LNBF.

I will check out the Fortec Dynamic receiver. I just ordered one from you. I will test it and critique it.

Radar

Last edited:
The Dynamic is the same as the Merc II but a different face. From what Sadoun has said previously the software is the same.

OK, being a scrounger at heart, (po' folks got po' ways...lol) I'd say start scouring the neighborhoods and even the rural areas for old Primestars and any other dish people may be willing to part with. (If you find on old mesh C band in your travels, consider dragging it [carefully] home too (it may come in handy, hint hint.) For Ku stuff, I recently picked up an old 33" that was for I'net downlink for just asking, the new homeowners had set it out by the trash.
Unless you plan on subbing to Dishnet or DTV, with their IRD, dont bother with those dishes. They are too small and the wrong signal orientation (circular) to be used for True FTA.
As for a receiver, for a 1st timer on a buget, just about anything DVB capable will get you into the hobby. I'd browse Craigslist and see what is available used locally in the $50 +/- range. The discontinued 1st generation Coolsats and Viewsats will fall in this range and are quite suitable for True FTA. That's just 2 of dozens of DVB rx's you may come across. One thing to look for when buying an rx, especially a 'low-end unit' is a feature called blind scan, or smart scan. It isnt essential, but is very useful.
Which is better is totally subjective. In a given class, they are all built to similar specs, and all have productionline good ones and lemons. For example, I *think* my Coolsat 6000 seems outperform my Viewsat Platinum and Extreme, therefor i prefer it, but I have no lab standard test equipment to verify it actually performs better. The VS's do an acceptable job on C and Ku as well.
You will still need accessories, coax, maybe a new linear LNB if you find a dish with a bad or missing one, possibly a DiSEqC switch, and maybe a pole to mount the dish on. You should be able to get all this for under your budget and leave you some 'play money' to add to your soon to be 'FTA hobby kitty'. If you end up like the rest of us, your going to need it.......lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Splitters; What Exactly do I need?

New to FTA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts