New to Satellite

cougar166

Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hey there, I am new to the satellite world and have a couple of questions regarding the 522.

1st. Location of the unit. The two TV's that I would like to use this unit for both have a receiver and speakers. Can you use this unit for both? Does it have two sets of RCA outputs for connecting to two receivers or is the second output (tuner) just a coax?

2nd. What is the best way to connect this unit to a home theater having a VCR and DVD player? Currently, the DVD player is connected to the TV's line 1 and the VCR is connected via the threaded coax. All RCA's for audio only go to the receiver. The current "cable" service goes from the wall to the VCR. Do I connect the new "satellite" service to that same location?

I could connect all components to the receiver (audio and video) and use the TV as a "monitor" but I like having the DVD player plugged directly into the TV for best viewing. Plus, this way I do not have to turn on the whole system to watch TV.

Sorry if I am going on, but I want to make sure that I am connected the best way possible.

Any information would be appreciated.

The answer to your 1st question is Yes, TV2 has RCA outputs as well as a Coax out. But I don't know how long RCA cables can be without signal degradation so it might not work if your second TV is very far from the 522.

As for your second question, I don't know if there is a "Best" way to connect since everyone's system is different. Like you, I like to be able to watch TV without having to turn on my stereo (audio/video) receiver so I connected the TV1 coax out from the DVR to the VCR input and the VCR output to the TV. But I like to watch movies in surround sound and the better picture provided by SVideo, so I have the digital audio and SVideo out from my DVD and TV1 to my receiver and switch between the two using the stereo. I also have the RCA outs from TV1 go to the VCR and the VCR's RCA out to the stereo, so I can record from the DVR without having to have the stereo or on.

There are a lot of different configurations you can do depending on all of the inputs and outputs of your equipment. Have fun . . .

I found a 50' RCA cable on the internet for about $20. I ran it up one wall through my attic and down another room with no degradation. It's actually much better than the coax I already had in place (well the coax run was a hodgepodge over 100' so it's not a fair comparison). My TV has RCA inputs so there's no issue of using a stereo amp. The only problem I have is when the existing coax connection (for OTA or CATV) is in place, it actually causes interference.

DNS Gone For Most New Subscribers

Dish and TIVO??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)