Need help with IntelAmer5K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

afsalam

Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Wyoming
Hi everyone. I am new to this stuff and need help fixing my satellite. I have a samsonite satellite which I believe is 32 inches in diameter, a Samsung DSB-4700F receiver. I have had this system for about 5 years now and didn't have any problems. Just took it out of the box and followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. For the past 4 months the signal has been worsening where I was only able to watch the dish at night as it would not work in the morning. Well 2 months ago I completely lost reception and tried setting up the satellite with the instructions I have, but no luck. I thought that maybe the LNB had gone out so I bought a new one, which is a Fortec-Star Universal Single LNBF. I still can't find a signal.

I am specifically trying to setup the IntelAmer5K satellite. When I go to the setup screen the signal strength stays at 30% and never changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Thanks.

Not familiar with the equipment, but all the receivers "Signal Strength" meters I know of just show the receiver-coax-lnb integrity. The Q, or Quality, show the signal from the satellite. Unplug the coax going to the LNB and check the Signal Strength meter. Is it the same as when connected?(unplug the receiver when messing with the LNB coax) If so it may be a problem in the coax. Corroded connector, animal damage, etc. Something broken. Since you said it degraded over months, I lean towards corrosion somewhere. My receiver will show a Signal Strength of 40 with a good LNB(not aimed at a sat) 80+ when the Q meter reads anything(on a satellite), and around 5 or so with no LNB connected.
Another Question, was the original LNB also a Universal? If not, settings have to be changed in the receiver setup.
EDIT-FYI 97W G19 (formerly G25/IA5/T5) I had to remind myself!
EDIT 2 - found and old post(2006) in another forum that says the same- a signal strength of 30 all the time, with that receiver, is coax-lnb integrity problem, check all connectors in the coax run. Confirm the coax integrity.

Last edited:
I had one of those units. Nice little unit but a crappy blind scan (only scanned one symbol rate a time)....works fine on IA5/T5/G25/G19 or whatever its called on 97W ;)

I agree on the corrosion issue

Thanks for the help. So when I unplug the coax from the LNB I still get a signal strength of 30. So I replaced the coax with a newer cable, but no luck. Still stuck on a signal strength of 30. I think the original LNB was Universal, but I'm not entirely sure. When I look at the label it says KU Band Digital LNBF, Model: PEI-838. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. Is it possible that the receiver went bad? Oh and here are the settings that I am using:

Satellite: Intel Amer5K
Load TR: 3/16
Frequency: 11836 Mhz
Symbol Rate: 20.765 MS/s
FEC: 2/3
Polarity: Verticle

Any other ideas?

Lyngsat shows a FEC of 3/4 for that TP. I can't confirm as the Openbox doesn't show FEC. Maybe that alone will have something to do with it. Not sure.
Is it possible that the receiver went bad?
It's possible. With nothing plugged into the LNB f connector, check the voltage on the center pin to the chassis. Should have 18vdc on a Horizontal TP and around 13vdc on Vertical. If that's OK, Try hook up an lnb with a short (3 or 6 ft) jumper. It doesn't have to be on a dish. see if the signal reading changes. Check with both LNBF's(?). If still stuck on 30 I'd suspect the tuner went bad (but would like to confirm with a known good receiver). If signal changes, I think I'd bring the receiver and a tv out to the dish and use a short jumper to the LNBF. And if/when it's working there, connect it back up inside. Remember to unplug the receiver from AC power when connecting/disconnecting the LNB coax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How tall of pole needed above ground

Help pick up a new FTA HD receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)