NASCAR to alter Chase

never was a dale senior fan, either. but i agree the sport has suffered since his death. cute dale story. at winter testing many years ago, i was hanging around the garage with a bunch of other fans, hoping to get his autograph. well, he hopped out of his car and went to the mens room. he barely walked out without getting mugged but he signed everything. but i had to follow him back in the garage, not knowing that a videographer from a local tv station was filming me. i ended up on the six o' clock sports. my dad about had a cow.....he said to me, ``honey, i thought you hated him!!''

Never was an Earnhardt fan, miss him now that he's gone. If there's any positive to be had from his death it's that NASCAR got serious about safety after his accident. Adam Petty and I believe Kenny Irwin both suffered the same type of injury but it took his death to really get them to mandate the HANS device and better seats.

Ten points doesn't seem like enough for a win. Maybe 25 over second would be better. That seems like enough of a bonus but not enough to make it a runaway lead for winning. Doesn't seem like it's so much that a driver could win and have a bunch of DNFs and still be champ. But hey, the article says they ran the numbers. Another thing I'd like to see them do is end points for anything over 35th place. I think you'd see fewer taped up, barely able to run, cars on the track.

I think the race winner should get 20 extra points over 2nd place and also that the person on the pole should get 5 maybe 10 extra as well.

I was half expecting them to go to 15 cars in the chase, WHY ? Because a lot of the sponsors are probably not real happy about it the way it is currently.

also could make getting sponsors much harder than in the past, because the TV only shows the top 10 usually.

As for dropping off points after so and so position, lets make it position 30, ormaybe 25, that will make the position like the "Bubble " for the Twin 125's"
I know thats not the name of it anymore, but thats what I'll always call it.

Dale Sr. would win his EVERY YEAR !!

Go Little E

R.I.P. Dale Sr. Your definatly missed !!!

Jimbo

I agree. 20 more points for a win is what it should be. I would definately make a change from points racing to going for the win. Awarding points for the poll in another good point.

Go Mark Martin.

I agree. 20 more points for a win is what it should be. I would definately make a change from points racing to going for the win. Awarding points for the poll in another good point.

Go Mark Martin.

Mark Martin retired from Nextel Cup and will be in the Craftman Truck series.

Mark Martin retired from Nextel Cup and will be in the Craftman Truck series.
He's running a partial schedule this year. He went to MB2 motor sports (chevy). He'll run 20 points races. Rookie Regan Smith will drive the rest. Mark will also run the Bud shoot out and The Allstar Challange. Also he will drive in a few Busch races for MB2. He will be driving the 01 car Nemechek has been in for years. Nemechek has been moved to the #13 car. As far as the trucks go, he has a partial gig to drive for the Woods Bros (Ford). He didn't resign with Roush. Travis Kavapil will pilot the 6 truck this year for Roush.

He's running a partial schedule this year. He went to MB2 motor sports (chevy). He'll run 20 points races. Rookie Regan Smith will drive the rest. Mark will also run the Bud shoot out and The Allstar Challange. Also he will drive in a few Busch races for MB2. He will be driving the 01 car Nemechek has been in for years. Nemechek has been moved to the #13 car. As far as the trucks go, he has a partial gig to drive for the Woods Bros (Ford). He didn't resign with Roush. Travis Kavapil will pilot the 6 truck this year for Roush.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this stuff happened. They said at the end of the year he was done with Nextel Cup and he would move full-time to Trucks.

It was hard to follow. He changed his mind several times on his future plans. He said he wanted to cut back on the cup side and do a full time truck schedule. Apperently he and Roush couldn't come to an agreement on his truck contract. MB2 gave him a part time schedule and i'm sure a butt load of money to bring him over. He even hinted to a full time return to Cup in the future. What ever he does i'll continue to root him on.

It was hard to follow. He changed his mind several times on his future plans. He said he wanted to cut back on the cup side and do a full time truck schedule. Apperently he and Roush couldn't come to an agreement on his truck contract. MB2 gave him a part time schedule and i'm sure a butt load of money to bring him over. He even hinted to a full time return to Cup in the future. What ever he does i'll continue to root him on.

NMark wants to be able to continue to help and watch his son climb the racing ladder.
I would not be suprised to see Mark running some in the Busch, he seems to enjoy it much more.

I would have loved to see him stay in the Cup series for at least another 5 years.
Good clean driver, great guy.....

Jimbo

He is a class act. Any time a fellow racer is interviewed, and asked to comment about him, they all say the same thing. Clean racer, shows respect, and the youngsters should mirror what he does. He will be missed. I hope he comes back full time in a few years. Looking forward to when Matt starts his Nextel career.

Official NASCAR points format change

Changes announced to points system and Chase
Ten points awarded per victory; two drivers added to playoff format
Official Release
January 22, 2007
01:50 PM EST (18:50 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Race victories will become more important than ever in 2007 as a result of adjustments to the points system and the Chase for the Nextel Cup format announced Monday by NASCAR.

The adjustments are designed to establish more balance between winning and consistency, but there is a new emphasis on the former.

"The adjustments taken [Monday] put a greater emphasis on winning races," NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France said. "Winning is what this sport is all about. Nobody likes to see drivers content to finish in the top 10. We want our sport -- especially during the Chase -- to be more about winning."

The Chase -- consisting of the season's last 10 races -- will further reflect the importance of racing to win, via a variety of adjustments.

During the format's first three years, the top-10 drivers in points after the 26th race of the season (at Richmond International Raceway) qualified for the Chase; in addition, any other driver outside the top 10 but within 400 points of the standings' leader was also eligible.

Starting this season, the 400-point cutoff is eliminated and the top-12 drivers in the points after Race 26 will qualify for the Chase.

All 12 drivers will have their point totals re-set to 5,000; each will then receive a 10-point bonus for each race victory they had during the first 26 races.

The Chase drivers will be "seeded" to start the Chase based on the number of wins amassed during the regular season.

In line with the Chase adjustments, wins throughout the season will be more valuable.

Race winners throughout the 36-race season will now receive 185 points, a five-point increase.

Counting the five-point bonuses available for leading at least one lap and leading the most laps, a race winner now can earn a maximum of 195 points, creating a possible maximum of 25 points between first- and second-place finishers.

The 2006 season of Kasey Kahne provides a dramatic illustration of the adjusted Chase format's implications.

Kahne qualified for last year's Chase, but started it in 10th place -- despite having won a series-high five races. Under the new format, Kahne would begin the Chase in first place, with 5,050 points.

2006 Pre-Chase Standings
Pos. Driver Points

1. M. Kenseth 5,050
2. J. Johnson 5,045
3. K. Harvick 5,040
4. Ky. Busch 5,035
5. D. Hamlin 5,030
6. D. Earnhardt Jr. 5,025
7. M. Martin 5,020
8. J. Burton 5,015
9. J. Gordon 5,010
10. K. Kahne 5,005
11. T. Stewart --
12. G. Biffle --

2006 Pre-Chase
"Seeded" Standings
Pos. Driver Pts. Wins Adj.

1. Kahne 5,000 5 5,050
2. Kenseth 5,000 4 5,040
3. Johnson 5,000 4 5,040
4. Harvick 5,000 3 5,030
5. Stewart 5,000 2 5,020
6. Gordon 5,000 2 5,020
7. Hamlin 5,000 2 5,020
8. Busch 5,000 1 5,010
9. Dale Jr. 5,000 1 5,010
10. Biffle 5,000 1 5,010
11. Martin 5,000 0 5,000
12. Burton 5,000 0 5,000

Last edited:
I like this, it will give more competition to win the races. it truely will make it a playoff type of chase. since most of the time 11 and 12th would have been the only ones that would even have a shot to get within 400 points.

it seems like the tweaking was necessary by rewarding drivers who win more races. i like expanding it by 2 drivers. however, we'll see how long it takes before it gets tweaked again!!!

I am going to merger this with the earlier thread.

Who Dat?

Michael Vick could be in trouble

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)