My son got a letter from Dish Network today, says he has to choose local or distant

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
My son has Dish Network service and he got a letter from them today. The gist of it is that they say that because of some new federal law, he can receive either distant network stations or local network stations, but not both. If he keeps the local stations he will get all the networks, but he will never be able to go back to the distant stations. If he keeps the distant network stations he can't get ABC because one of the ABC affiliates has a transmitter much closer than the other stations so they would not issue him a waiver. But he could get both east and west coast feeds of NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.

There are a couple of unique things about this market (Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek). For one thing there are TWO ABC affiliates. One is a UHF in Battle Creek and I am sure he could get a waiver from them. The other is a Grand Rapids station with transmitter north of Grand Rapids, and they are the one that would not grant the waiver. He wonders, if he could get a waiver from the Battle Creek station, would that be enough to allow him to get the distant ABC stations, or would the fact that he can get one of the affiliates bar him from getting the distant stations? I have no idea, but thought maybe someone here might know.

The second thing about this market is that the local stations (especially the NBC and ABC affiliates) are VERY irritating in that they are always interrupting network programming for some stupid local thing that hardly anyone cares about. Even when it's only mildly severe weather they will do on the air live and the local weathermen will do their song-and-dance act. Funny thing is they always manage to go back to the network just about the time the commercials are coming on, then when the commercials are over it seems like the program runs just long enough for you to get interested again and here they come again. I figure if you want to be a network affiliate you should carry the network programming, not interrupt it every chance you get. I wonder if the reason there are two ABC affiliates is because the first one kept screwing around with the network programming (I've never heard of another market with two separate affiliates of the same network, not even owned by the same company).

Anyway, I guess the question is, anyone know of a way he can continue to get the east and west coast feeds and the locals, or at least the distant stations and local ABC short of putting up an outdoor antenna? Did anyone else get a letter like this from Dish? I'm just trying to find out if he has any other options.

A way of getting around all of this is one in which you may not like but works. Keep the receivers on his account for the distant networks but get another receiver and activate it on a different account and order just the locals on it. That would allow him to get both but he would be charged a $6 fee for the locals and a $5 for not getting the basic package with it. Basically he would have to use that particular receiver to watch his locals and have to pay another $5 to do so. You could hook the tv output of that receiver into a splitter and from that into the antenna intputs on all of the other receivers that are on the account he has right now. To turn the channels from the other rooms he could have a UHF remote to do so and if he does not have one he could order the UHF PRO upgrade kit.

I got same letter too. I live in LA but will keep the NY distants networks. However I will contact my local network stations and request a waiver from them to view them (the locals). As the locals now can not stop us from the distants, what do they have to lose by giving the waiver and letting us see their commercials if we watch their local station. Otherwise they lose a viewer full time rather than just part time.

Of course, it's hard to know what any station will do. But I don't see a down side for them here.

I live in the same market as you, in Kalamazoo. Like you, I got waivers for all but ABC (Strange that since the same company owns the NBC/ABC in GR) and have not received that letter yet. luckily, I put can pull all but CBS in OTA. I would miss my psuedo sunday ticket though (since I add an extra fox and cbs affliate for football season)

Keep the distants and put up an antenna for the locals. Then get an HD receiver that tunes the OTA channels.

That would be my preference.

Got an RV? Have a friend or relative with one? Scan the registration, if you need to, modify the information and get an RV waiver from Dish. Screw the local affiliates and their bogus protected monopoly.

NightRyder

Night...

Not that simple anymore apparently. I've got the RV waiver and
my distants have been pulled the last three weekends.. and I call back
on Sunday's and they claim they can't add them.. the system is blocking.
On Monday I go to the website and add them back and they are there for
the rest of the week.. and I've got to go through the whole thing all over
again.

Most frustrating. I don't know if it's truly DISH messing up or something else.

Sam

pdxsam said:
Night...

Not that simple anymore apparently. I've got the RV waiver and
my distants have been pulled the last three weekends.. and I call back
on Sunday's and they claim they can't add them.. the system is blocking.
On Monday I go to the website and add them back and they are there for
the rest of the week.. and I've got to go through the whole thing all over
again.

Most frustrating. I don't know if it's truly DISH messing up or something else.

Sam

It's Dish. The new law didn't touch RV waivers. Try emailing ceo@dishnetwork.com and see if they can get it straightened out.

NightRyder

Rant On:

You know, when our neighbors to the North can receive distant networks and are able to watch the Superbowl in HD and we can't, something has gone terribly wrong. I have been a Dish customer for over 6 years but I find the current situation intolerable. While I understand much of this is out of E* hands that still doesn't negate the impact or allow us the viewing choices we all should have. I am seriously considering becoming a Southern Canadian. I have no faith in our government entities to provide us any relief. They all have been corrupted by the NAB and it's members deep pockets.

Rant off.

NightRyder

What's the first step?

I live in NY and currently carry both the NY and the West Coast locals. I haven't made up my mind which way to go, so I need to know the first thing I need to do in order to keep both. Is there a web-site that I can visit to contact my local network affiliates, or do I have to physically write letters?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Lean Guy

Lean Guy said:
I live in NY and currently carry both the NY and the West Coast locals. I haven't made up my mind which way to go, so I need to know the first thing I need to do in order to keep both. Is there a web-site that I can visit to contact my local network affiliates, or do I have to physically write letters?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Lean Guy

The new law doesn't allow it. Unless you have RV waivers you have to choose one or the other.

Another option would be to drop all programming on Dish except your LA networks and sign up for D* or cable.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Another option would be to drop all programming on Dish except your LA networks and sign up for D* or cable.
NightRyder
Now what would that do? I'm not up to date on D* but I would think they would be in the same boat as E*. It NOT E* fault they cant give you any channels you want. I'm sure they would give them all to you if they could. It's the Damn people we elect that think they can control what we watch and listen to!!!

thiggin2 said:
Now what would that do? I'm not up to date on D* but I would think they would be in the same boat as E*. It NOT E* fault they cant give you any channels you want. I'm sure they would give them all to you if they could. It's the Damn people we elect that think they can control what we watch and listen to!!!

He already has the LA networks and can elect to keep them , but by doing so he will loose his NY locals. If he drops his Dish programming to distants only he can then sign-up with D* or cable to get his NY locals and other programming. Not ideal by any means, but it is a solution.

I agree its not E* fault but the government has forced this stupidity upon us.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
He already has the LA networks and can elect to keep them , but by doing so he will loose his NY locals. If he drops his Dish programming to distants only he can then sign-up with D* or cable to get his NY locals and other programming. Not ideal by any means, but it is a solution.

I agree its not E* fault but the government has forced this stupidity upon us.

NightRyder
Yea not ideal, you got that right.
What really gets me is the CHILD games the government plays, with all programming restrictions they put out. If its not the TV they say we can and can't watch, its the radio and what we can and can't listen to.
This country is becoming a joke. There are lots of other things this DAMN government can worry about than this. :mad:

I'm confused

I got the same letter yesterday. I live in the Washington DC DMA. I get NY & LA distants and have had them since December 1998 without interruption, my DC locals came sometime in 99 or 2000. At the end of the letter, it did say that I can request a waiver from the local. My choice is clear, I will stick with the distants.

I've read here and at DBStalk that the new law does not allow customers to have both. Is this accurate for my situation? Based on E*'s letter, it leads me to believe that I may be able to get my DC locals if the waiver is granted by the local stations.

Also, have any of you made your choice by calling E* yet? Do you loose the stations right away or will E* wait until April 17th?

April 17th????......I read SatelliteGuys everyday, but missed that one some where. What is going to or supposed to happen April 17th, a link to a website with more info would be nice.

Thanks

NightRyder said:
Rant On:

You know, when our neighbors to the North can receive distant networks and are able to watch the Superbowl in HD and we can't, something has gone terribly wrong. I have been a Dish customer for over 6 years but I find the current situation intolerable. While I understand much of this is out of E* hands that still doesn't negate the impact or allow us the viewing choices we all should have. I am seriously considering becoming a Southern Canadian. I have no faith in our government entities to provide us any relief. They all have been corrupted by the NAB and it's members deep pockets.

Rant off.

NightRyder

Ryder
If you get ExpressVu, you would have something worse than no HD...Simsubbed HD! You would get the Canadian regurgitated feed, and not the legit HD feed

Here is the issue:

You could have distant networks due to one of three reasons:

1) You qualify, meaning the database states you are in a white area for a specific network affiliate, and you could purchase the Distant Network Service without any other qualification;
2) You have a waiver, meaning the database states you are in at least the Grade B area for a given network affiliate, and the local network affiliate has decided to waive their rights, which allows you to purchase the Distant Network Service for that network solely because of the waiver;
3) You are in a Grade B broadcast area for a given network affiliate and a) received distant network service on October 31, 1999; or b) had the distant network signal(s) terminated after July 11, 1998, but before October 31, 1999. This is the "grandfathering" clause of the Satellite Home Viewers' Improvement Act (SHVIA), signed by President Clinton on 29 November, 1999.

The new law, the Satellite Home Viewers' Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA), signed by Presdinent Bush on 9 December, 2004, changes the qualification, as follows [changes are in brackets, in italics]:

1) You qualify, meaning the database states you are in a white area for a specific network affiliate, and you could purchase the Distant Network Service (DNS) without any other qualification [if your satellite company is offering the local channels from your market, you no longer qualify for DNS. if you currently have DNS because you qualify and your local channels, you will keep receiving DNS until you a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite. if you qualify and have DNS and your local channels are available, but you do not subcribe to your local channels, you will lose your DNS once you elect to receive local channels. if you have DNS and your local channels are not available on your satellite carrier, you can keep your DNS and your local channels once they are available];
2) You have a waiver, meaning the database states you are in at least the Grade B area for a given network affiliate, and the local network affiliate has decided to waive their rights, which allows you to purchase the Distant Network Service (DNS) for that network solely because of the waiver [if your satellite company is offering the local channels from your market, you will probably not be able to receive a waiver at this point. if you currently have DNS, you will keep receiving DNS along with your local channels until you a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite. other qualifications are as in point (1).];
3) You are in a Grade B broadcast area for a given network affiliate and a) received Distant Network Service (DNS) on October 31, 1999; or b) had the distant network signal(s) terminated after July 11, 1998, but before October 31, 1999. This is the "grandfathering" clause of the Satellite Home Viewers' Improvement Act (SHVIA), signed by President Clinton on 29 November, 1999. [grandfathered subscribers must choose between their local channels or their DNS. customers are to be notified via mail regarding their choice, and a "no response" to the inquiry will result in DNS being terminated. if a customer elects to keep DNS, they will lose their local channels, until they a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite.]

Iceberg said:
Ryder
If you get ExpressVu, you would have something worse than no HD...Simsubbed HD! You would get the Canadian regurgitated feed, and not the legit HD feed

Iceberg

What about Star Choice?

NightRyder

811 versus 301 output

Any advise for a new installer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)