Dish Letter for outdated equipment

I got the letter and I called Dish. The lady told me that my two VIP211K's was no longer would be working and I had to upgrade. Right there, I told her to discontinue my Dish service. After some thirty minutes of hassle, they agreed to drop[ my service and give me a refund on the programming that I had paid for.
I went to Cox cable and would I love to tell you what happen there. Agreed to 250 channels and new modem for my internet at $267.98 a month. Got the bill couple weeks and how would you feel when it shows that I would pay $579.98 for a month. I spent over ten hours with probably thirty to forty live agents at Cox to drop the service. I call Dish back 25 days later to go back to Dish. Dish offered me $50.00 to "go back" and would like to hear their story. They told me I could keep my two VIP211K's. The lady also said, Dish lost over thirty thousand customers during the "bad decision letter".
Why didn't they just back off in the first place and let you keep your 211s?

$579.98? I've heard of bad bills, but....really, are you kidding us?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I live in rural America with lots of dirt roads. Dirt roads have no impact on EV operation. Going up a mountain certainly uses a lot of juice (but the same is true of ICEs). Coming down a mountain recharges an EV battery pretty quickly thanks to regenerative braking and kinetic energy (and for ICEs they use minimal gasoline improving the MPG ratio).

So anyways, my point is it sounds like your concerns about rural America are 1. Lack of recharging stations (this was an issue when ICE cars first rolled out in early 20th century and look where we are now - gas stations on every corner it seems). And 2. The range of an EV. Right now most seem to be in the 250-300 with some doing a lot more - but those tend to be pretty pricey. This will obviously improve and prices come down as the technology advances. Remember, the Model T in the early 1900s - it could only go 200-250 miles on one tank of gas. Look where we are now? Many cars can easily go 500+ miles on one tank. 3. Mountains. I wouldn’t consider this a concern since you more often than not regain all the juice you lost and then some when you come down a mountain. I have witnessed this myself in the VT mountains.

One point you didn’t bring up, but it is definitely something that needs to be figured out sooner than later - cold weather drastically reduces EV range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually aren't uphill inclines even easier for an EV than for a gasser? They're inherently torquey.

I live in rural America with lots of dirt roads. Dirt roads have no impact on EV operation. Going up a mountain certainly uses a lot of juice (but the same is true of ICEs). Coming down a mountain recharges an EV battery pretty quickly thanks to regenerative braking and kinetic energy (and for ICEs they use minimal gasoline improving the MPG ratio).

So anyways, my point is it sounds like your concerns about rural America are 1. Lack of recharging stations (this was an issue when ICE cars first rolled out in early 20th century and look where we are now - gas stations on every corner it seems). And 2. The range of an EV. Right now most seem to be in the 250-300 with some doing a lot more - but those tend to be pretty pricey. This will obviously improve and prices come down as the technology advances. Remember, the Model T in the early 1900s - it could only go 200-250 miles on one tank of gas. Look where we are now? Many cars can easily go 500+ miles on one tank. 3. Mountains. I wouldn’t consider this a concern since you more often than not regain all the juice you lost and then some when you come down a mountain. I have witnessed this myself in the VT mountains.

One point you didn’t bring up, but it is definitely something that needs to be figured out sooner than later - cold weather drastically reduces EV range.

You get most of my points,perhaps I should have said (dirt poor) rural America.There are no recharging stations here.It gets colder than a witches you know what in the winter.My point is those pushing so hard to sort of (force) ev on us,are imo,putting the cart before the horse.

I got the letter and I called Dish. The lady told me that my two VIP211K's was no longer would be working and I had to upgrade. Right there, I told her to discontinue my Dish service. After some thirty minutes of hassle, they agreed to drop[ my service and give me a refund on the programming that I had paid for.
I went to Cox cable and would I love to tell you what happen there. Agreed to 250 channels and new modem for my internet at $267.98 a month. Got the bill couple weeks and how would you feel when it shows that I would pay $579.98 for a month. I spent over ten hours with probably thirty to forty live agents at Cox to drop the service. I call Dish back 25 days later to go back to Dish. Dish offered me $50.00 to "go back" and would like to hear their story. They told me I could keep my two VIP211K's. The lady also said, Dish lost over thirty thousand customers during the "bad decision letter".
Wow,that's almost as bad as those silly dish audits they did for a while.Make you run around the house and provide the location ids of all your receivers.I dang near left them over that mess.After a few apologies and a few credits they smoothed things over,been pretty happy with them since then.

I do haggle with them every 2yrs to keep a promotional price,it does lock us in for a 2yr commitment but that's fine.Happy with the equipment and most of the programming.Still not happy about the lack of metv but for the price not too bad.

I should add that they used to try and push the hoppers on me every time I would call,but they don't even do that anymore.

For Cox, write by email to these but only write to one each time then give it a day or two and write again to the next one using the same email but remember to address each person differently if no response or response not satisfactory:

Cox Communications executive customer service contacts:
1)
Suzanne Foy
Vice President, Customer Experience Operations, Strategy u0026 Process
Cox Communications
6205-B Peachtree Dunwoody Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
suzanne.foy@cox.com

2)
Peter Lilly
Senior Vice President – Operations, Experience, Process, and Design
Cox Communications
Atlanta, GA 30328
peter.lilly@cox.com

3)
Alex Taylor
Chairman and CEO
Cox Communications
Atlanta, GA 30328
alex.taylor@cox.com

For Cox, write by email to these but only write to one each time then give it a day or two and write again to the next one using the same email but remember to address each person differently if no response or response not satisfactory:

Cox Communications executive customer service contacts:
1)
Suzanne Foy
Vice President, Customer Experience Operations, Strategy u0026 Process
Cox Communications
Atlanta, GA 30328
suzanne.foy@cox.com

2)
Peter Lilly
Senior Vice President – Operations, Experience, Process, and Design
Cox Communications
Atlanta, GA 30328
peter.lilly@cox.com

3)
Alex Taylor
Chairman and CEO
Cox Communications
Atlanta, GA 30328
alex.taylor@cox.com

Can't he file a complaint with the FCC?

Agreed. People speak so negatively of EVs, but forget we didn’t go from the Model T to the Corvette overnight. Gas stations didn’t exist everywhere when the T came out. Things take time and infrastructure will be built. Battery technology will continue to improve. And yes, you can actually make a 590 mile trip in one day if there are fast chargers on route. You might only need to stop for 15-30 minutes to recharge - which most folks stop for lunch/bathrooms/gas already on long road trips like this.

Lots of ifs - and not a lot of standardization yet with chargers, and charge time - but it will get better.

I have a PHEV - plugin hybrjd. 42 miles electric before hybrid gas engine kicks in. I buy gas like once every 3 months now. It’s pretty amazing.

But Gov didn't mandate the Modle T with deadlines to meet for conversion. All for the open market deciding but forced intervention is what brings on a lot of the backlash

Can't he file a complaint with the FCC?
Yes but it will take a long time as they will reply on the 30th day after being served which is their deadline to respond and you can respond to the FCC but it will just be another 30 day response notice served.
And all they will try to do is get communications between you and the provider.... I tried it with Comcast before and this is exactly what the FCC said:

"The FCC’s informal complaint process provides consumers with an easy and informal way to raise issues with their providers.

The role of the FCC in the informal complaint process is to facilitate a conversation between the consumer and their provider to try to address the consumer’s issue.

In some instances, the consumer’s issue is not resolved to the consumer’s satisfaction once the informal complaint process has concluded. We regret that you were not satisfied with attempts by FCC staff to facilitate a dialogue between you and your provider to address your issue.

At this point, you might want to contact your provider directly to see if you and the provider can arrive at a resolution that is acceptable to you or pursue more formal legal options.

You also have the option to file a formal complaint with the FCC if your issue involves a violation of the Communications Act. Here is what to expect from the formal complaint process:

Formal complaint proceedings are like court proceedings.
The filing fee for filing a formal complaint is $540.00 but is subject to change.
You must comply with specific procedural rules, appear before the FCC, and file legal documents that address legal issues.
Attorneys almost always represent parties filing formal complaints, and legal fees, in addition to the $540.00 filing fee, can be substantial.

Complete information on how to file a formal complaint can be found in sections 1.720 through 1.740 of the FCC’s rules, located at 47 C.F.R. §§ 1.720 – 1.740 (see Federal Register :: Request Access). Please review Section 1.718 of the Commission’s rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.718, for additional information on applicable deadlines.

For a more detailed description of the formal complaint process, see EB - Market Disputes Resolution Division"

All they will do is stop helping and tell you to talk to the provider and if not happy, either sue them which costs $$$ plus attorney fees and court costs or pay $540 to the FCC to file a formal complaint which is about the same as Cox billed him, not sure if they credited it or not. The $540 amount is as of October 2023 and is subject to change. So obviously the FCC does not work for free. The emails are free to the company executive's where you created written evidence and if that doesn't work, then you can go with the FCC route, but $540 would be worth it only if it was like a very big $ amount being disputed. And drafting the email which you can use for this and future issues with modifications is still easier than "I spent over ten hours with probably thirty to forty live agents at Cox to drop the service." since live agents have no real power, they work there, it's not a company with their names attached to it such as the case with Corporate Level Executives. He would have gotten better results with the customer loyalty department aka customer retention department. Just call the main number and keep responding with cancel on every prompt. Not sure about Cox but with Comcast, even though Live Chat agents are in India, you don't even talk about cancelling, just ask nicely and each agent might give you $20-$50 of credit even though it may take 30 minutes to talk to each one, you will still come out ahead. Same reason Comcast accidentally cancelled all my services during live chat which is really internet services, I got enough credits to pay for the next 6.5 months of 1.2Gbps Internet service after they added a new plan to the account which comes with free 24 months rental and unlimited bandwidth for 24 months.

Last edited:

Dish Anywhere on Apple TV

Signal Protector