My DVR510 only get 60 hours of recording

Do you mean that when you fill it up with real content, you end up with only 60 hours worth?

Let's just say that E*'s time etimates are, well, optimistic. ;)

As in it'll record a lot more time if the show is nothing but a still life of apples.

I have gone up to 98 hrs of regular shows and movies (no sporting events). I was uncomfortable at that point and watched a bunch and moved some of the really old movies off to tape. E* may be "optimistic" but unless you are capturing a lot of sports events you shoudl be getting way more than you are. Have you rebooted? May be as simple as that.

The old Dishplayer used to have probelems with not deleting the temp files after a software upgrade and that would take away valuable HD space. However I have not seen this as an issue with the 5xx series.

How did you come up with the number?

I've has occasions where deleting a 2 hr movie would free up 2.5-3 hours of hard drive space. I think hard drive fragmentation (or storage block units) may be eating extra space.

PVR508 - 80 gig/60 hours - 1.33 gig/hour
PVR510 - 120 gig/100 hours - 1.2 gig/hour

The numbers don't make sense. Even the original 60 hours for the 508 was optimistic. Personally, I think the 510 is a 90 hour PVR, but the Echostar Market-teers figured 100 is a cooler sell.

Now, 60 hours on a 510 does seem a bit weak. On the sysinfo screen does the box say 510?

You could be right, the screen said I had 2 hrs and some change left. I didn't add up the hours but the screen listed that there were 72 programs recorded, I know about 15 ((+/-)of them were movies or two hr programs, 5-6 were 1/2 hr shows. The rest were 1 hr shows. Your 90 hr figure could very well be the more accurate number. I have never gotten that crowded since.

Yes, it says DP510 under system info. I added up all the recordings and they total 60 hours. I have 1 hr 43 mins of record time left.

There are 40 events recorded:
11 World Poker Tours, Travel Channel (22 hours)
20 World Series of Poker, ESPN (20 hours)
2 Ultimate Fighting Championships, SPORT (6.5 hours)
7 movies, HBO, MAX, AMC (11.5 hours)

Thanks for all your input.

-Tom

Well, the movies & ESPN are probably higher (premium) bandwidth, and the UFC is high movement. How about letting us know the 'used' vs. 'actual' numbers are you go along?

It would very interesting if you note what the screen says is the recorded length and then how much time is restored after you delete an item. Along the lines of what Simon noted, it will be very interesting to see how much is actualy taken up with the UFC recordings. Please post your results.

Ok the 1 hour World Series of Poker shows, recorded from ESPN, were taking about 2 GB of space each. After I deleted one, it freed up 2 hours of space.

-Tom

Yeah - right - lots of action. However, 1 hour real-time freeing 2 hours of HDD space tells us something about the bandwidth allocated to ESPN. One example doen't tell the whole story tho - there's too many other variables.

also I would like to point out a one thing people forget ....

Different channels will eat up different bandwith.

Example

DP7200

record the same movie twice.

Once Standard 4:3 stero sound might take 2% of my drive
Same movie but record on a dissh ppv channel that shows it in letterbox and DolbDigital... will take up 3.5% of the drive.
Also i dont know if it is true on othe dish dvrs as i have not tried it yet on my others. But the 7200 also records SAP when the channel is broadcasting it which also adds on on hd space.

7100/7200 are not forgotten.

Jerky Dish HD Especially TNDHD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)