My 501 has an insatiable appetite

Psyclone

Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
After the DST upgrade my 501 chewed up about 30 or so recorded programs. It has sporadically wiped out a handful of programs since then. Today it decided that I was not to have any recorded programs and wiped out the remaining items, including ones that were protected.

Software check shows that I'm running the 3.68 software. I'm calling Dish and demanding a replacement/upgrade to a 625.

Just a heads up to those running this combo, you may be missing some shows...I've been a DVR user for a couple years now and never had this happen, not sure why there's a sudden issue with this.

I'm sure they'll be more than happy to move you to a 625.

So you'll lose your grandfathered status and start paying the $6 DVR fee.

You might be happier with a refurb 501 or 508. I've never had a lick of trouble with my 508.

I'm sure they'll be more than happy to move you to a 625.

So you'll lose your grandfathered status and start paying the $6 DVR fee.

You might be happier with a refurb 501 or 508. I've never had a lick of trouble with my 508.

Actually now that I think about it I have 2 510 models, I am already paying the DVR fee for both of them. I really am mostly interested in being able to watch and record the same time, I often find myself recording on the second receiver which means I'm forced to watch it in another room which I don't always want to do.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Dish. Apparently the 625 is not an available upgrade path from the 510. I have to go with the 622 HD model, which would of course require me to subscribe to the more expensive HD programming. That's all well and good except that I don't even have an HD TV. I have a 5 year old 50" Toshiba SD Rear Projection TV that still gets a decent picture.

That pissed me off, talking about forcing the more expensive option on someone. My only option is to buy a 625 on Ebay, which is not an option at this time. So I elect to just replace the 510. Unbeknownst to me, there is a replacement charge associated with their leased equipment even if the equipment is screwing up as result of their actions.

I have been a customer for a good 9 years and this is how I'm treated. So long Dish, hello DirecTV.

Call them again, if you don't have the HD package they should give you the 625 for SD.

BTW, feed that sucker more often. :)

I told her all of that, she was doing this all from the computer from my account she said that the computer only offered the upgrade path from the 510 to the 622. I said "so you are telling me that the only option that I have is to upgrade to this even though I can't take advantage of it?" Nothing but silence... I told her this is a pretty screwed up way to force crap on the customer and that I would be canceling the service. Ironically when I first dialed into the automated menu the first thing the voice said was "we see that you are a valued DishNetwork customer" ROFL.

"we see that you are a valued DishNetwork customer"

They tell the same thing to all of us. :) The first time I heard it, I was like wow that's cool but then after calling several times I get the same thing. Back to topic, I'd try again at least one more time.

510 to 522, I can see.
510 to 721, good deal- but there aren't many 721s out there.
510 to ViP622 makes no sense at all. Unless Dish is about to discontinue distributing SD only receivers. Prob too early for that.

Try CSR roulette once more. If that fails, [COLOR="Blue"][B]ceo@echostar.com[/B][/COLOR]

Ok, I followed the advice and called up again. This time I didn't mention that the 510 was eating recordings, I just said I wanted to upgrade. The CSR didn't bat an eye.

They're sending out a 625 and a technician to install it, which they insisted on. Not sure why I need a technician. I would assume it takes the one coax coming from the dish and splits it internally to provide the second tuner. I told them I didn't need that but they insisted. Oh well at least I'm getting what I wanted.

Support never ceases to amaze me, how one would tell me I HAD to go HD and the other upgraded me without any issues :confused:

"Support never ceases to amaze me, how one would tell me I HAD to go HD and the other upgraded me without any issues"

Welcome to Dish Network support, we call it CSR roulette.:) You can call 10 times, and you will hear 10 different things.

To the OP, what kind of LNBs do you have? Osu1991 makes a good point, the 625 is a dual tuner so depending on your equipment you'll need two cable runs or a single cable run.

Just make sure they are replacing the 510 not adding the 625 or you will end up paying an additional $11/mo. plus possibly a DIU fee.

To the OP, what kind of LNBs do you have? Osu1991 makes a good point, the 625 is a dual tuner so depending on your equipment you'll need two cable runs or a single cable run.

I am old school, I have a dual LNB, non dish 500 with two feeds, one to the living room, one to the bedroom. There is no available connection to add a second coax to the living room, where the 625 will be installed. Can they not just split the current single feed to the living room to provide two connections? I read some time ago that splitting is possible as long as the coax meets spec(RG-59? RG-6?). I am pretty sure that my cabling meets spec. I would think that this would be an option, if so they could put a splitter or multi-switch on the current line just before it goes into the receiver, no?

It does not split the signal internally. You may need new LNBs and/or switches. You will likely get either a second feed or a "Separator" that looks like a small splitter to feed the two satellite tuners.

I am old school, I have a dual LNB, non dish 500 with two feeds, one to the living room, one to the bedroom. There is no available connection to add a second coax to the living room, where the 625 will be installed. Can they not just split the current single feed to the living room to provide two connections? I read some time ago that splitting is possible as long as the coax meets spec(RG-59? RG-6?). I am pretty sure that my cabling meets spec. I would think that this would be an option, if so they could put a splitter or multi-switch on the current line just before it goes into the receiver, no?

Then it's a good thing they're coming out to install it. They will need to replace the LNB with a DPP Twin to feed the dual tuner with a single cable. Like Geronimo said they will use a DP Separator to split the signal to the two tuners.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Dish. Apparently the 625 is not an available upgrade path from the 510. I have to go with the 622 HD model, which would of course require me to subscribe to the more expensive HD programming. That's all well and good except that I don't even have an HD TV. I have a 5 year old 50" Toshiba SD Rear Projection TV that still gets a decent picture.

That pissed me off, talking about forcing the more expensive option on someone. My only option is to buy a 625 on Ebay, which is not an option at this time. So I elect to just replace the 510. Unbeknownst to me, there is a replacement charge associated with their leased equipment even if the equipment is screwing up as result of their actions.

I have been a customer for a good 9 years and this is how I'm treated. So long Dish, hello DirecTV.

I understand your initial frustration, however, I would assume your 5 year old Toshiba is a widescreen set with s-video/component inputs. The 622 would give you down-resolution high-def that would undoubtedly be the best picture your Toshiba was ever seen. Also, the 622DVR is the best DVR(IMO)in the Dish line-up.
I hope you enjoy many more years with your set, but would it have been so bad to be ready when you graduate to the new technology?

I understand your initial frustration, however, I would assume your 5 year old Toshiba is a widescreen set with s-video/component inputs. The 622 would give you down-resolution high-def that would undoubtedly be the best picture your Toshiba was ever seen. Also, the 622DVR is the best DVR(IMO)in the Dish line-up.
I hope you enjoy many more years with your set, but would it have been so bad to be ready when you graduate to the new technology?

It's not a widescreen it's a 4x3 set but does have colorstream inputs which are component inputs for a 480i resolution max, however I do see your point. I haven't decided yet if I'll stick with Dish or go with Verizon's FIOS once I make the move to HD. Since I lost my distant networks the ability to record and watch two separate channels has moved to the top of the priority list. I'll have to wait it out to see if FIOS offers this at some point. At the very least maybe they'll offer video on demand that will similarly meet this need.

Software 4.03

Lost the OTA Tuner on my 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts