Murdoch Puts DIRECTV On 'High' Road Targeting Big Spenders By Piling On Frills

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
Well IMO its best to mount the dish where it cant be seen from the street as mine is.
What, are you too embarrassed to let people know you're a D* customer.:p ;)

I prefer it in the middle of the front yard to pi** off the HOA.

Proc said:
In my neighborhood, based upon my ultra-scientific research of checking out dishes while driving ;) I would say E* outnumbers D* 3 or 4 to 1.

You must live in a bad neighborhood.... Just kidding, couldn't resist that one.

herdfan said:
What, are you too embarrassed to let people know you're a D* customer.:p ;)

I prefer it in the middle of the front yard to pi** off the HOA.

1. IMO, the 3 LNB dish says "I have HD" which means "I have expensive equipment inside" which means "come rob me, Im a dumbass advertising a good score if you break in".

2. The dishes look tacky from the street and Ive seen several of them in front yards in the neighborhood. I usually roll my eyes and wonder WTF they are thinking putting that in the front yard.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
1. IMO, the 3 LNB dish says "I have HD" which means "I have expensive equipment inside" which means "come rob me, Im a dumbass advertising a good score if you break in".

Hmmm, I had the 3 LNB dish before I ever had HD...must have been a lucky one! But I do agree with your front yard statement, just put the dish where it's not that noticeable (unless you're looking for a dish) that can see the southern sky.

I kinda like seeing dishes on folks houses. Shows me they got the potential for good taste and love great programming. If I see AT9's (5 LNB) then I might ring the doorbell. :D

Brewer4 said:
I kinda like seeing dishes on folks houses. Shows me they got the potential for good taste and love great programming. If I see AT9's (5 LNB) then I might ring the doorbell. :D
If its an AT9 it indicates a lack of eyesight and HD channels. Also a lack of intelligence IMO if they also paid 400 dollars to lease an HD DVR. E* is offing more and superior PQ. Those are just the facts. Of course those with the best taste and highest PQ standards will have Verizon FIOS and no Dish at all.

vurbano said:
In my area it means I have locals.;)

And my dish is not in the front yard. It is on a pole at the end of the driveway behind some bushes.:p

I'm sure all of you are smart enough to know this, but right now, DIRECTV does NOT WANT to blast out a bunch of HDDVR's at $500 each. DIRECTV knows each and every one is going to have to be swapped out at their cost with the new MPEG4 capable unit whenever it comes out.

When MPEG4 H20500 comes out, it will NOT be a $500 piece!

Daniel has a good point. D* needs to make the HD DVR available, but do what it can to keep the number of them out there as low as possible. D* has already said there would be a no-cost swap. Maybe not officially, but we all realize that they have to.

So maybe by making the HD DVR $500 to lease vs. E*'s $300, they can keep the number of future swapouts they need to do to a minimum.

vurbano said:

Or it means they have locals channels or speak spanish. Is there anywhere left where 3 LNB isn't the standard install?

dragon002 said:
and the echo junk dish could mean, im a low life and can only afford the $29.99 monthly americas bottom 60
It could also mean I have HD and Im not visually impaired or I watch it on a larger than 36" set.

GeorgeLV said:
Or it means they have locals channels or speak spanish. Is there anywhere left where 3 LNB isn't the standard install?
My comment was made based on the fact that it was the new dish when I installed it years ago.

vurbano said:

Uh-huh. What say you, then, about an E* SuperDish, that has a big fat "HDTV" on the LNB cover? :)

vurbano said:
If its an AT9 it indicates a lack of eyesight and HD channels. Also a lack of intelligence IMO if they also paid 400 dollars to lease an HD DVR. E* is offing more and superior PQ. Those are just the facts. Of course those with the best taste and highest PQ standards will have Verizon FIOS and no Dish at all.

Spoken with true piss and vinegar. And you have FIOS (he asks him knowingly)? Its too early in the game for FIOS since 99% of the public doesnt even have access to it. I would give it a whirl if available but I dont like the 1 HD stream only limitation. I also watch the majority of my HD free OTA on Media Center and HD Tivo. So I dont need that many HD fluff channels. While more is better, I am ok with where HD is at.

BTW, I had Dish 942 and HD for a year and went back to D* solely. While there is a tad degredation in compression (helmets on, get ready for the HD Lite comments), its still the best and preferred package for my FAMILY. :)

Last edited:
Brewer4 said:
Spoken with true piss and vinegar. And you have FIOS (he asks him knowingly)? Its too early in the game for FIOS since 99% of the public doesnt even have access to it. I would give it a whirl if available but I dont like the 1 HD stream only limitation. I also watch the majority of my HD free OTA on Media Center and HD Tivo. So I dont need that many HD fluff channels. While more is better, I am ok with where HD is at.

BTW, I had Dish 942 and HD for a year and went back to D* solely. While there is a tad degredation in compression (helmets on, get ready for the HD Lite comments), its still the best and preferred package for my FAMILY. :)
Its far more than a tad.

vurbano said:
Maybe in the neighborhood where YOU live....surely not here - they're popping up all over, and no one has said 1 negative thing about them. In fact, most people didn't even notice the difference. My AT9 is post-mounted next to the house, and neither of my immediate neighbors on each side even noticed - I had to point it out - and they were underwhelmed by anything difference in the new AT9 look & size. This is just another classic case of making something up as a confrontational issue that's a non-issue, and as typically the case, has nothing to do with the thread subject matter.
Brewer4 said:
Originally Posted by vurbano

Well said. You have to understand - there are a couple of miserable trolls on the various HD sites who have nothing better to do but complain about everything known to man that makes them itch or scratch each day. They LIVE for confrontation and agitation. They most likely stay up at night thinking up ways just to piss people off to make themselves satisifed. If most people had 1/2 the negativity in them that these manic-depressives have, they'd either be swinging from a tree someplace or heavily sedated. The daily birrage of "chronic eyesight problems" and other regular insults from this one poster, above all others (there are a few wanna be's) demonstrate that we should all be sympathic to this obvious "illness".

It's one thing to make a point, disagree, or even point out plusses & minuses to something - that's called healthy debate. Perpetual insults are something different. I'd love to see that energy turned into positive, constructive, realistic ideas on NOW to make improvements in the HDTV world.

I, for one, wish V--- nothing but the best in his quest for the ultimate HDTV that satisfies him based on his criteria. Just think how nice life would be with 200 less negative posts on 5 different sites each day. Of course, we'll all never live long enough to see that day. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Free DVR lease?

Question on MPEG-4 Change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)