Murdoch Puts DIRECTV On 'High' Road Targeting Big Spenders By Piling On Frills

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Satmeister said:
Just think how nice life would be with 200 less negative posts on 5 different sites each day. Of course, we'll all never live long enough to see that day. :D
Would there then be 500 less whines from you on those 5 sites?

vurbano said:
Would there then be 500 less whines from you on those 5 sites?
I don't profess to have anywhere near the time or effort invested that you do. You consider a challenge to anything you say a whine. I can live with that. :D Bring on the cheese.

Now back to the topic of the thread ---

Any business that tries to increase revenues is usually considered smart, not to mention profitable & competitive. That said, having tiered programming packages coupled with a miriad of optional programming items does NOT target "big spenders" by piling on frills. Even "big spenders" want a bang for the buck, and will only pay for something that they deem worth the $$$. As far as "frills"....I agree that things like CD USA and XM radio over my system are not things that excite me, but there is enough that I get for what I am paying for to make it a good value for the money.

That's a personal decision for each subscriber. Based on years of subscriber base numbers and remaining #1 in the sat TV world, it would appear that DirecTV must be syncing up with the market quite well. I don't agree with every move they make, but they've done enough right in comparison with alternatives to make me stay with them for many years now. Again, that's to each his own.

Im amazed no one has posted this part of the OP's article:

http://www.kagan.com/ContentDetail.aspx?group=5&id=167

graph_20060321_B.jpg

D* believes its lease policy will increase HD DVR sales 600% among existing subs??????????

Last edited:
I would respond Vurbano but I dont think you are capable of looking beyond perfect HD versus mobilizing a company to make it profitable. I dont like HD Lite any more than you do but D* has a game plan, has started implementing it and is so far on track. It includes HD and lots to come. Problem is, it takes time and lots and lots of money. Does it mean it ticks folks like Vurbano, yes. Will it always be like it is now, problably not.

I personally like the D* mix of things and given that 80% of my HD watching is non-watered down MPEG2 I am ok with the current D* HD offerings. I think my attitude will be much different when there is cable, FIOS or Att, Dish and D* competing for my high end HD dollars. I think everything is still shaking out and end of 2007 for me is the line in the sand. My plan at that point is all digitial via my Media Center distributed throughout my house to Xbox 360's. All the pieces are in place for me except the native cablecard/D* to MCE. Heck it could even be FIOS by that time. At that point I expect 50 HD channels at near OTA quality. So patience my Padwan.

I just dont think the existing HD sub base is stupid enough to increase the HD DVR numbers by 6 fold under the current program. While HDlite is a factor, and the one you cant seem to get past, the monetary outlay inorder to rent is going to make the lease deal a loser for existing subs. But I could be wrong though, they say there's one born every minute.

Last edited:
I dont think you know all the pieces. I certainly dont. There might be a compeling reason to abandon existing equipment and go with their HD DVR's. Of course there will be existing HD subs not happy but the current 1 million or so is only a piece of the puzzle. And D* does not always reveal their cards. So thats why I say its still too early to gauge.

Murdoch is good. Give it time. If it doesnt pan out, you are free to choose a different provider. I think all that most ask for you is that you respect our decision to chose D*. You dont have to like it and thats ok. But some of us do.

vurbano said:
1. IMO, the 3 LNB dish says "I have HD" which means "I have expensive equipment inside" which means "come rob me, Im a dumbass advertising a good score if you break in".

2. The dishes look tacky from the street and Ive seen several of them in front yards in the neighborhood. I usually roll my eyes and wonder WTF they are thinking putting that in the front yard.

Why do you think I have my "Lifetime NRA Member" stickers all over the place???:D

scotsmanron said:
Why do you think I have my "Lifetime NRA Member" stickers all over the place???:D

I like to wear my Lifetime NRA Member hat and my Postal sweatshirt and see the reactions! :D :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Free DVR lease?

Question on MPEG-4 Change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)