Multiple dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Frickjp

Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Buffalo
Directv will not install service at our summer home. It's heavily wooded, and there is one hole in the canopy to see through. 8 years ago, I installed 2 separate dishes, about 40' apart, seeing 101 and 119 using a multiswitch. We never needed nor added a dish for 110. Once the dishes were in, they set us up. We now want HD. Same story, there is NOWHERE to mount a slimline5. The best I can do is great reception on 119, 110, marginal on 103, no 101, and no 99. Is it possible to use separate dishes and a multiswitch to get all 5? I can get a clear view of 99 from a different spot, but it would have to be a separate dish as well.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

How about trying a sl3 lnb? Those get 99, 101, and 103. There are no channels on 110, and mostly local sd channels on 119. If you can get 101, there is a fair chance you can get all three. Do you have the dishpointer app for android or iphone? It shows the satellites in the sky and is great for finding a good line of sight.

IF you can find a different spot, thats where you want to mount it, theres only 5* between the whole set up now, not like it was before, IF you can get the 101 you can get it all usually.

If you find a place, pick up a slimline and set it up, bring a recvr from home and go from there.
D* installers have stringent requirements on setting up the dish because they have to be set for longevity, while you doing it yourself doesn't.
If you pick a spot that eventually gets closed up, thats on you and you move it again, D* doesn't have that choice if they are installing it.

The issue is in Buffalo there are a few stations not carried in HD (locals) and Buffalo SD is on 119 so even though he may have LOS issues D* wont install a SL3

try a local retailer/installer and see if they will do it...or just do it yourself

locals not in HD and are on 119 only
WNLO 23 CW
WNYO 49 MY
WBBZ 67 IND

The issue is in Buffalo there are a few stations not carried in HD (locals) and Buffalo SD is on 119 so even though he may have LOS issues D* wont install a SL3

try a local retailer/installer and see if they will do it...or just do it yourself

locals not in HD and are on 119 only
WNLO 23 CW
WNYO 49 MY
WBBZ 67 IND
Wow, didn't realize that, you would have thought that everything would have been moved to the 99 / 103 for locals by now ...
Looking at your list, are all the Major Networks on the 99/103 Sats ? (Abc, Nbc, CBS and Fox)

I don't consider CW, MY and IND to be a Major network ...

Since the op hasn't come back yet, we don't know if having 119 is important to him. We'll have to wait and see. My idea of using an sl3 may not work anyway if his los is really tight for 99, 101, 103.

Wow, didn't realize that, you would have thought that everything would have been moved to the 99 / 103 for locals by now ...
Looking at your list, are all the Major Networks on the 99/103 Sats ? (Abc, Nbc, CBS and Fox)

I don't consider CW, MY and IND to be a Major network ...
The HD stations are on 99 or 103. But if a station isnt in HD it could be on 101 or 119. So there are some areas where a Slimline 5 is required because if the SD locals are on 119 it has to be a slimline 5.
New markets being added are on 99 or 103 in MPEG4

Looking at the list there is a lot of markets that fall under that category

Going back up this weekend. Neighbor thinks I can put the dish on his boathouse, but we may still have dish issues, I picked up another slimline 5. I want to see if I can see 99 and 101 with it from another spot. Which now presents 2 questions. How can I wire this together if I can see them all? Also, I will probably run an additional wire about 100' - 125' to the other neighbor's house, because they won't give him HD either. Ever watch a 55" TV in SD? Yuk.

To get hd service you need to see 99 and 103. If you do the install yourself you could use an sl3 lnb and not need such a large look angle. Like Iceberg said, Directv requires an sl5 lnb in areas that have sd channels on 119. Can you do without the sd channels on 119?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR24-500 as a wirless to wired bridge using DECA??

Constantly losing signal for HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)