Mounting a seperate ku lnb to prime focus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Hopefully this weekend I'll try mounting a ku lnbf along side my c-band lnb (corotor feed) on my 5' mesh. The dish has the four-leg supports. Anyone every tried this, if so any pictures................

I've seen some where they drill a hole and put the KU in the scaler rings right next to C-band LNB

Cutting the scalar ring made no difference to my signal quality, just for the record :)

P S B
those are some good pics.... boy that opens up a few questions

looks like a great project ... I will save all my questions, i want to put things in service and get everything working before i line up any more projects :)

mrweather said:
There was an article in the most recent Tele-Satellite magazine describing a soup can lnbf for both C and KU.

Wonder if that would work?

Member 'Alec' has been working for some time on a similar project, hope he can update us if he finds the time :)

Well I have that 621-2 KU/C lnbf that I could not (and I spent hours at it) get to work very well on KU but appeared to be ok with the C band on my 1.2M Dish.
I may have to sacrifice the scallar ring and try it. The only problem is the lnbf supports are attached where cutouts would go.I may have to give this some thought.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave

I should have said what it was I was going to try, Those pictures that Pete referred to cutting away the scallar ring on either side for mouting the ku lnbf's. Sorry.

Attachments

• Picture 125.jpg
    Picture 125.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
That is a really interesting idea. Maybe you've posted it elsewhere but what sort of spread can you get with that setup? I'm guessing you could add as many lnbs as would fit around the feedhorn like that.
I have a spare feedhorn (or 3) that I could play with..........only a 6 foot dish at the present time (not set up and major LOS issues).
But...........hmmmmmmm............... :)

Here are some pictures of the Scalar ring I am working with.

Attachments

• Pict0105.JPG
    Pict0105.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Pict0106.JPG
    Pict0106.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Pict0162.JPG
    Pict0162.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 235
NO difference seen in signal quality with the cut outs :up

Now just to get around to adding a few LNB's

I guess you could, at that stage you may start to loose some signal quality with another two cut outs!

Only one way to find out :)

Inno said:
What were those cuts made with? I'm thinking a hole saw on a drill press might do the trick.

I traced out the shape I wanted and drilled MANY small holes, than used a hacksaw to cut out the shape. Followed with a half round file!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 5000 motor setup?

What do you all think of This?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)