MOTOROLA DEVELOPS SLING-LIKE DEVICE

Wasnt this what thay were advertising like mad last year when Xfinity was rolling out? Even had comecials with Shaquille O'neal??? Talking about watching on cell phones and computer, then they just pulled the plug on it!

"Unlike EchoStar Technologies' Slingbox, the Televation device is designed for only in-home use."

Motorola - Eh

The thing is, I never trust all of the bells and whistles on Motorola products. Every phone of theirs I've ever had has broken in under 12 months. While their set top boxes work nominally well, what they're doing now is usually 5 years behind TiVo, and is sluggish.

Cable needs to keep up with satellite. Their only claim to fame is their On Demand. The rest is still back in the stone age compared to Dish and DirecTV.

I wouldn't go that far. Comcast just updated the software on my DVR's... It is much more Dish like. Also, they got rid of the Analog Tier and added a ton of HD channels in my market. I will also say (as a 10 year former Dish subscriber), that Comcast On Demand is beyond wonderful. I never knew what I was missing. Satellite needs to get this whole home DVR tech out of the door ASAP, if they want to stay ahead. How long ago was it that that Dish HD Sling Extender for TV2 was announced?

Cable needs to keep up with satellite. Their only claim to fame is their On Demand. The rest is still back in the stone age compared to Dish and DirecTV.

FiOS is classified as Cable and they are required to obtain agreements with the local cable franchise authorities. Other than their DVR, the FiOS service blows-away both D* and E* in terms of service, support, quality, price and reliablity. Of course, their new DVR with IMG 1.9, along with the Tivo and Moxi options, make up for past DVR deficiencies. Not all cable companies are equal. ;)

Too bad the latest Fios box and s/w are not available everywhere they offer service. Only the older Moto boxes here near DC, and plenty of clueless CSRs.

It's definately a measure of personal preference. To ciddty, you might be correct. Up in my area, I'm not blown away by two different systems of Comcast, my sister is on an old Adelphia system, and my Aunt has a system that was built up by Comcast. Different channel numbers and my Aunts uses a much better (in my opinion) motorola box (simular to that of FiOS), compared to the Scientific Atlanta box that my sister uses. I am still not a fan of their Center Ice in lack of HD (which I know that Dish had their problems this past season), cost of priemum services, and (although you just stated that it changed for you) analog channels. I didn't experience their DVR, so I can't comment back on your opinion of the DVR.

Riffjim, my parents have FiOS, which I'm unable to get in my area. I list Boston Area as my home, but I'm actually a 30 minute drive from the city. I actually wasn't thinking of FiOS or U-Verse, but they do come by cable. I have only experienced FiOS in SD, and no DVR (Mom and Pop are too cheap to pay the extra dollars to hook their HDTV to HD FiOS). I do enjoy their offerings. Again, I'm not able to be hooked up at my house, which is one of the reasons why I chose Satellite.

You need to come out of your cave more often, things have changed with World of More, XFINITY, more HD channels than sat, etc.

Wasnt this what thay were advertising like mad last year when Xfinity was rolling out? Even had comecials with Shaquille O'neal??? Talking about watching on cell phones and computer, then they just pulled the plug on it!

It is up and running, XFINITY TV on your computer anywhere, as well as apps for iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc.

"Unlike EchoStar Technologies' Slingbox, the Televation device is designed for only in-home use."

They have XFINITY TV for anywhere outside the home, no need for Sling.

The thing is, I never trust all of the bells and whistles on Motorola products. Every phone of theirs I've ever had has broken in under 12 months. While their set top boxes work nominally well, what they're doing now is usually 5 years behind TiVo, and is sluggish.

umm, it's not a phone....and when's the last time you used a Moto DVR? ahh, nevermind, not worth it.

Xfinity is not up and "running" you cannot watch live TV as I was told by Comcast 1 1/2 years ago....I can record somthing play it back...I canot watch live TV anywere in the world!

Last edited:

Is the HD quality of today really getting worse

Recent change in the way the programming guide shows? (622s)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)