Making DN receiver 722DVR work with an RV King Dome!

Ductedfan

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hello all, I'm having problems trying to make my new HD-722-DVR receiver complete the check switch test with my King Dome dish on top of my Motorhome. My King Dome dish is the 9704LP version which has automatic satellite switching for sats 110-119, however King Controls says that only one coax cable from the King Dome should be connected to the #1 Input port on the receiver, the other coax should go to the second receiver if there is a second one, in my case there is not.

Anyway, when I run the switch test the test on port 2 fails, if i connect the second King Dome coax to port #2 then it still fails. I've tried using the separator as is used with my standard Dish Pro dish, but that made no change.

Is there something that I'm not doing, or what can I do to correct this problem? The receiver works just fine with the standard Dish Pro dish, but not with the roof mounted King Dome. I have the King Dome set to operate with the Dish Network system, which required a touch (key) pad controller to make those software adjustments.

BTW, when I've spoke with King Controls Tech's they haven't been very helpful in understanding what is going on. Other than, "yea, that can be a problem".

Any ideas?

John

Hello all, I'm having problems trying to make my new HD-722-DVR receiver complete the check switch test with my King Dome dish on top of my Motorhome. My King Dome dish is the 9704LP version which has automatic satellite switching for sats 110-119, however King Controls says that only one coax cable from the King Dome should be connected to the #1 Input port on the receiver, the other coax should go to the second receiver if there is a second one, in my case there is not.

Anyway, when I run the switch test the test on port 2 fails, if i connect the second King Dome coax to port #2 then it still fails. I've tried using the separator as is used with my standard Dish Pro dish, but that made no change.

Is there something that I'm not doing, or what can I do to correct this problem? The receiver works just fine with the standard Dish Pro dish, but not with the roof mounted King Dome. I have the King Dome set to operate with the Dish Network system, which required a touch (key) pad controller to make those software adjustments.

BTW, when I've spoke with King Controls Tech's they haven't been very helpful in understanding what is going on. Other than, "yea, that can be a problem".

Any ideas?

John

John,

The LNBF(s) on the King Dome will NOT Bandstack so you can not use a Dish Pro Plus Separator.

Try clearing the Switch matrix on your 722 by disconnecting any Coax Feeds and then run the switch check. This should reset the 722 away from trying to detect Band stacked signals.

IF (and it is a (HUGE IF) the KING Dome's LNBF(s) can NOT receive signals from two satellites at the SAME time (both 119 and 110) then it will NOT work. Id guess that the King Dome can NOT receive two orbital slots at the same time. If true then the only way for you to use the KING DOME Antenna would be with a Single Tuner Dish receiver. Currently the only single Tuner HD receiver would be a 211 (a Non DVR HD receiver).

I went to the manufacturers website. Your Dome Antenna is only capable of receiving one orbital slot at a time. Since your 722 is a dual tuner receiver it needs to be able to receive signals from both 119 and 110 at the same time. This is NOT possible with your 722 receiver connected to the King Dome. This means you have two choices, Scrap using the King Dome and travel with the Dish 500 so you can use your 722 with that antenna, or get a Dish 211 HD receiver and connect it to your King Dome Antenna.

John

Last edited:
Get your dome pointed at 119° , and shut it off. then connect both cables to the 722 and run a switch test. This should run 38 tests, and get you 119° on both inputs. you can then trun the dome back on and it will track 119°. You cannot use a dual tuner receiver with the dome switching from 119° to 110° because one tuner could be looking for 119° and the other 110°. Your 722 will give you an error message. With single sat 119° it should work OK but with limited service. Get a dish 1000.2 to use when your parked for HD.

The ViP722 will work with a single cable, but it will be severely hobbled. It will receive only a handful of HD channels. I concur that it is likely a single satellite system.

For a dual tuner receiver to work right, you'd need two domes, since the dome only sees one satellite at a time but each tuner could want a different satellite. Since it emulates a SW64, you should get full service of 119/110/129 or 119/110/61.5. Sounds quite expensive.

edit: revised, i did not know about the SW64 emulation

Last edited:
The 9704LP is designed for stationary (not in-motion use) and can be set up to auto-switch between 110, 119, and 129 by emulating an SW64. However, it won't work with dual-tuner E* boxes since they're programmed to check for multiple sats at once. Switching for a 211 would be your best bet.

You mentioned it's currently set up to switch for 110-119 right now. Are you wanting to receive HD from 129 too?

Thanks guys, i currently have my Dish Pro dish on the ground hooked up on and it receives 110-119, but it doesn't pickup 129 as positioned, and I get HD channels.

Sounds like using the King Dome will be a limited use option. Sad that after spending a $1000 on that King Dome less than four months ago and now upgrading to an HD DVR that it won't work with a 722, and my only option is to down grade to a 211 receiver, or constantly set up the portable Dish Pro dish which can be problematic at times.

Thanks again,
John

Ductedfan, I believe you can try to find someone in the park who has a dish 500 with legacy dual LNBs and legacy sw21 switches. Use their dish to do a checkswitch and then you will get a switch matrix of sw21 on both inputs. Store that setting and never run a checkswitch again or you will have to do that trick over again. That will get you 119/110 and the receiver should then have a proper matrix to work off of. Just remember that you won't be able to get 119 on one tuner and 110 on the other simultaneously. In fact, its better to just leave one of the tuners off at any point in time.

I don't know if this will work, but another possibility is to get an old DISH1000 and 3 legacy dual LNBs and a legacy sw64 switch and use that to store an sw64 switch matrix in the receiver. Then just hook back up to your kingdome, remembering that you can only really use one tuner at a time.

If you go with the 211, it may be able to be used with an external hard drive to enable DVR functionality... soon. I think the last estimate was sometime during Q2.

Thanks guys, i currently have my Dish Pro dish on the ground hooked up on and it receives 110-119, but it doesn't pickup 129 as positioned, and I get HD channels.

Sounds like using the King Dome will be a limited use option. Sad that after spending a $1000 on that King Dome less than four months ago and now upgrading to an HD DVR that it won't work with a 722, and my only option is to down grade to a 211 receiver, or constantly set up the portable Dish Pro dish which can be problematic at times.

Thanks again,
John

John,

Yes, you will get some HD channels from 110, but the vast majority of Dish HD channels come from either 129 or 61.5.

The only available HD channels on 110 are ESPN, ESPN2, HBO, SHO, HDNET, HD Movies, HD Theater, and TNT. The other 32 HD channels are only available from 129 or 61.5. Most of any additional HD channels Dish adds will likely be from 129 or 61.5, except for USA HD, and SciFiHD which will come from 110.

Thanks again to all your recommendations. I'll give many of them a try and see what happens. I like the idea of setting two Dish Pros up and locking in the switches then connecting back to the King dome. If that works it'll be a usable system for a while.

Getting the extra HD channels is of interest to me, but will wait a little while on trying to work that out. Or just use a Dish 1000 when i get one.

I should have done some more home work before spending the bucks on the new King Dome. But of course I listened to much to the salesman at Camping World who said, yea it should work just fine!

John

Thanks again to all your recommendations. I'll give many of them a try and see what happens. I like the idea of setting two Dish Pros up and locking in the switches then connecting back to the King dome. If that works it'll be a usable system for a while.

Getting the extra HD channels is of interest to me, but will wait a little while on trying to work that out. Or just use a Dish 1000 when i get one.

I should have done some more home work before spending the bucks on the new King Dome. But of course I listened to much to the salesman at Camping World who said, yea it should work just fine!

John

If you plan to store a configuration as I've suggested and then putting it back on the KingDome, just make sure to use a legacy system, not a DishPro system.

I've got a boat setup with a KVH Tracvision. The gyro can only lock on to one satellite at a time, so I just run a new switch test when I want to go from one 110 to 119. I am out of range of 61.5, and 129 is too weak to lock on (but I can point to it manually).

I ordered a splitter that only allows signal passthrough from the box to the satellite over one line. Works well.

% of Channel Watched

612 install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)