MAC Book Pro

What is Coherence mode?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Coherence mode is so you never see the Windows desktop. You go to the mac dock, select the app you want to run, and it shows up on the screen like ANY OTHER mac app. There is a Parallels menulet (that is really a stupid word by the way) which provides a link to the Windows Start Button, but it basically enables you to run windows integrated within the mac. Its kind of nice. I have been impressed with how fast it is. Right now I have MaxQDA (content analysis), Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and askSam (free-text database) installed. There are a few more programs I will install as I need them.

I chose to install XP instead of W7, because I knew it could run with less ram, and it is quite functional. I did have to instal SP2 so I could run some of my software, and then I just disabled a lot of XP's stuff like Firewall, and such. I am NOT using XP to access the internet, so I am not worried about browsers infecting the VM.

Parallels 6 also came with an ability to download Chrome OS; which I did, but it brings me to a log-in screen and I can't log-in. Not sure what is up with that.

I have to say, three days in, I am slowly getting comfortable with this machine, its fun to have an alternative to Windows, but still have full functionality -- something that I found was missing when I installed Linux distros. And I am already finding myself wanting to two finger scroll on my toshiba laptop. LOL

Brought the macbook pro to the office, hooked it up with a 24" monitor, a mouse, and a microsoft natural keyboard. Was impressed by how smooth the setup was, and how smart the mac was at switching back and forth from single monitor to dual. Also added in the laser printer, and was shocked by how almost instanteous the "plug and play" was - as opposed to Microsoft's "plug and pray." :)

So, I setup my VPN for work, which uses an IPSec profile, and it worked fine for a day; then yesterday, it just stops working. Constant configuration error. Reinstall, uninstall, etc... in the end, I figured it out. I had changed my mac password to match the university password, for when I add the network server to my account. Well, in doing it, it confused the VPN in the keychain. I had to go to terminal and kill a process, using

$ sudo killall racoon

and when I did, everything worked again.

Made me laugh. "Magical" on the outside, linux under the hood. I saved the instructions for the next time it happens. :)

Who uses those keyboard skins for your mbp? I noticed that the oils on my fingers mark up the keyboard pretty quickly, so I bought a $3 skin for mine from Amazon. I put it on, but have not decided if I like it or not. But I have never seen a keyboard get dirty like this one.

Another question: what alternative launchers are you using? I am trying LaunchBar and DragThing, but am not sold on either yet.

Who uses those keyboard skins for your mbp? I noticed that the oils on my fingers mark up the keyboard pretty quickly, so I bought a $3 skin for mine from Amazon. I put it on, but have not decided if I like it or not. But I have never seen a keyboard get dirty like this one.

Another question: what alternative launchers are you using? I am trying LaunchBar and DragThing, but am not sold on either yet.

I wouldn't get dirty if you washed your hands once in awhile. ;)

Mike, what processor does your Macbook have in it? I was looking at the new ones but was not sure what I7 is installed. This is one thing that I don't like about the Apple website. I sure wish they would put the processor that was being used in them.

Well, I just sold my soul to the devil and bought a MacBook Pro! ;)
I am a long-time Windows programmer - this will by first Mac ever!
I just want to learn how to write iPhone/iPad apps and apparently you've got to have Mac to do that...
Let the fun begin... :D

Well, I just sold my soul to the devil and bought a MacBook Pro! ;)
I am a long-time Windows programmer - this will by first Mac ever!
I just want to learn how to write iPhone/iPad apps and apparently you've got to have Mac to do that...
Let the fun begin... :D
I was surprised the other day when I discovered I had evidently installed XCode when I installed Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro. Maybe that's how I justify an iPad: it's my Programming XCode Reference guide ;)...

Just started my MacBook Pro for the first time... it took me a phone call to the technical support just to figure out how to do a click on the trackpad. I thought it wasn't working: I was tapping (as I am used to), but apparently I was supposed to press instead. Now I feel like a total idiot! This is going to be a long weekend... :)

Found an option to enable Tap to Click. That's much better!

Just started my MacBook Pro for the first time... it took me a phone call to the technical support just to figure out how to do a click on the trackpad. I thought it wasn't working: I was tapping (as I am used to), but apparently I was supposed to press instead. Now I feel like a total idiot! This is going to be a long weekend... :)

:facepalm

Ilya said:

I almost did the same thing. :)

Ilya said:
Found an option to enable Tap to Click. That's much better!

Where is it?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ilya, you'll get it. I am a week in, and I am feeling very comfortable with it. I can even highlight text with the darn trackpad.

Tonight I did my first upgrade, put 8GB of ram in the machine (got it for $80 from Amazon, Corsair - amazing how cheap ram has gotten). Upgrade took more time to find the darn #00 Philips screwdriver than to do, and unlike a windows machine, I didn't have to go into the bios or anything. And I have to say, the machine really feels zippy with the extra ram. I put SPSS through some analysis to see how it handled it, and the machine flew through it.

Ilya - you'll also get frustrated with the file manager; I am now using a third-party file manager called Forklift; it is very good - and organizes folders with subfolders first the way it should be :) .

Ilya and Stimpson - what machines did you get?

I have the 2.7Ghz 13" dual-core i7 (now with 8GB of ram!). Really loving the hardware.

rockymtnhigh said:
Tonight I did my first upgrade, put 8GB of ram in the machine (got it for $80 from Amazon, Corsair - amazing how cheap ram has gotten).
Great to hear that!
That's what I will probably have to do. 4GB may not be enough for virtual Windows.

Chrome OS netbooks just about here?

New iPhone/iPad Jailbreak out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)