Looks like It’s official Directv Buying Dish

Not mentioned is the fate of Hughes. Is that business included in this deal?

Anything not mentioned is likely just not part of the deal. Echostar is selling off Dish's debt and pay TV services and will continue operating it's other businesses (EchoStar, Hughes, Boost, )

Echo is showing down ~12%. What stocks benefit from this?

None, so far.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ahh I see what you are saying. That was true for a long time, doesn't appear to me there is a true separation anymore. They used to ask what radio you have before showing you plans but I don't see that. And it looks to me now all programming is the same.
The difference is SXM owns most of their Channels, and all the other non owned channels were on both Sirius and XM, with the exception of Howard Stern and a few other stations. But Sirius owned them. This TV merger is going to be interesting, but both companies most of the same channels.

I think we will get some of those answers at 10:30 on the CNBC interview. But I am told (again not verified) that things will be run as separate as they are now. Sounding like at least for a few years we may not see many changes at all.
One thing for sure, the negotiating power between the satellite providers and the "blackout" stations and programming in general has shifted from the providers to the transporters

Different satellites..different receivers..different channels...sound like 2 different companies..same corporate ownership
The channels are not different. Definitely not 2 different companies.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish got rid of half the debt, got financing, got time to work on the wireless business.

Directv gets programming bargaining power, eliminates a competitor, opportunity to consolidate back office expenses, and wants to build a "portal" for single sourcing the viewers various streaming services.

But bondholders have to accept a haircut of a little more than 1.5 billion for the deal to go through.

Reactions: Yespage
Dish got rid of half the debt, got financing, got time to work on the wireless business.

Directv gets programming bargaining power, eliminates a competitor, opportunity to consolidate back office expenses, and wants to build a "portal" for single sourcing the viewers various streaming services.

But bondholders have to accept a haircut of a little more than 1.5 billion for the deal to go through.

Wouldn't that single sourcing just be the DISH + plugged into the receiver like DISH is doing already? Then all your streaming apps and your sat receiver is all in one place.

]gasman882001 said:

So.....thoughts on if this is good or bad for the consumer?

Consumer didn't or doesn't have a choice as far as Buyout (Merger) is concerned other than to subscribe or Not Subscribe. I think with the rise of Social Media, (Facebook, TikTok etc.) is taking a lot of advertising revenue from Networks as well as TV Viewers, I think the future of TV is at risk in the future , younger generations
cant afford a TV subscription, but they can afford a Smart Phone with a Data Plan and Free Social Media for entertainment, it's not only Satellite TV but Cable and Streaming TV as well, we've gone from having just 3 -4 networks and TV channels to Hundreds of Channels and then Streaming as well, now there's Free content on Social Media
and younger generation, doesn't watch much TV compared to content on their phones.

Reactions: HipKat and dishdude
A good deal of useful info though.
They cut their debt in half, but if I read things correctly, their revenue by 75%. Their retail wireless is in the billions, and that needs to grow, fast.

What is interesting is their deployment costs are about the same as the wireless revenue. If they can just turn on that spigot, Boost can work.
Once the word gets out that Boost prepaid for $25, unlimited text and talk with, I think, #)BD of data working off AT&T, T-Mobile Towers and Dish 5G towers gets out, it should grow., they need to start marketing it along with a year of free service if you buy a new phone - and they have a full selection of phones now

Echo is showing down ~12%. What stocks benefit from this?
I'd expect that right away, a drop. Good time to buy in. I'd imagine as things work themselves out over the next year, it would hopefully go up. I would, though, deflect to Bruce on that. He's the resident stock market guru

Given the market state of subscription TV, this was in the cards. Now the question (to me a user) becomes can I still subscribe / unsubscribe to DISH Flex pack twice a year to take my Wally set-up on vacation in my RV? I'm speculating from a position of ignorance here, but The usual M-O in a tech merger is one company absorbs another, then there is a mult-year process of eliminating the redundant functions for a increase in sales with a operating cost savings. (usually the acquiring company calls the shots and favors their own infrastructure) So you can imagine what that looks like, Customer service, tech support etc will eventually be downsized. I believe there is now dueling satellite fleets (or at least transponders) , unless aspects of one has geographic coverage the other does not, I'm guessing there is fertile opportunity for down sizing there. As other posters have stated, maintaining 2 systems of boxes, dishes, and tuners would seem to be on the block. Again, I like my Wally opt-in, opt-out flex pack service. I hope i can still access it.( i have a old direct TV dish from the 90s if I had to go back to the future) I was camping in the southern tier of New York State this month , and a fellow camper told me he got a subscription deal on Skylink (~60/mo) with robust internet bandwidth (he had plenty to spare and set up a WiFi hot spot for his nearby camper friends. ) Maybe that is the plan B (to suck TV through the internet) if Wally Flex pack doesn't make the cut. I'll be following the drama here.....

can't create OTA recording when out of home using DA