Looking for guidance!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satnoob2012

Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Amarillo Texas
i have a coolsat 8100hd, and a current directv HD set up in my home....

im no longer subsribing to directv, so i have the equipment, and the coolsat reciever...

Im wanting to hook up the coolsat to the dish and re-aim it to get FTA channels, is this possible? can someone lend some guidance?

i dont know what i need, or where i need to point... im a total noob!

ive aimed satellites before so im sure i can do that... i just dont know what to do with the coolsat to get the fta channels.

I think your dish has circular LNBs, and there's nothing FTA.

As a minimum, you would have to put a linear LNBF on it.
Even then, it's a little on the small side.
But that being said, there have been a couple of threads this summer from members showing how it's done.

Edit: look for a thread with Slimline (or SuperDish) in the title.

Last edited:
ok what size of dish should i have? and where to find a linear lnbf? radioshack? once i have the correct dish.. what do i do from there?

I would start with either a 76cm or 90cm dish. Get yourself a KU PLL LNBF. And your off to the races. Nope ratshack does not sell fta stuff.

I would check two places satelliteav.com and ebay.com.

Also be sure to ask lots of questions before you buy something.

satnoob2012 Welcome to the forum,

If you can hang in there and wait for for at least a week and a half. Visit or call SatelliteAv ( the banner is at the top of this page), buy yourself a microHD, you will not be sorry, and while you are there ask them about their LNBF.

If you are going to do business with Sanders satellite, make sure that the dish you are buying is no less than 3 foot, bigger is better, go for a six footer or bigger.

Any other questions will be gladly answered by a whole bunch of knowledable people at this forum.

Good luck.

Well, 90cm is 36". If you are spending money, get 36, no smaller.
(a 40" dish would be 1 meter, but you won't find a new one cheap)
From the favorable comments, it looks like the PLL LNBF from SatellliteAV is best choice,
and not too expensive.

Then, haha, you'll want a motor to move your dish to different satellites-it's the way the hobby works. Did you look at The List (top of page) to see the various KU sats and what is on them? What kind of tv do you want to find? Remember, the pay channels are scrambled/unavailable to us. That's not to say some of them don't go unscrambled from time to time, but when they do, usually it's not for too long.
edit: I almost forgot--Welcome to Satelliteguys! You'll like this place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Standard LNB/Universal LNB/SG2100

rebuilding fta setup- this time without knockoffs or junk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)