Local Channels Question

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I live in eastern Kentucky, and my Dish Local Channels are from Tri-Cities TN. The rest of eastern KY (all the way to the county line) gets the affiliates from Lexington, KY. While not really a problem with programming, I would rather get the Kentucky news and weather.

I understand that it all has to do with markets, but I don't understand how those market lines are drawn. I can't get many local OTA stations where I live. However, from my house I can get WKYT and WYMT (both KY affiliates) on a small antenna while in order to get WCYB (which is a Tri-Cities affiliate) I need a massive antenna on a 30-40 foot mast with about a 50 db amp.

Short of lying about my address, is there any legal way that I can get Lexington locals on Dish Network?

Lotech
you'd just have to "move"...its pretty easy to do

by the way, there are only two counties that have Tri-Cities locals in KY...and you live in 1 ;)

Attachments

• kentucky.gif
    kentucky.gif
    61.3 KB · Views: 149
Lotech
you'd just have to "move"...its pretty easy to do

by the way, there are only two counties that have Tri-Cities locals in KY...and you live in 1 ;)

Looking at Tri-Cities on that map I see one of the counties (Leslin I think) is not even attached to the rest of the DMA. Strange.

in few areas of the us its like that....

for some fun, check the Denver DMA outside of Colorado....its like random
TV Market Maps

Minnesota is kinda like that. The Minneapolis DMA is the biggest and runs down to Iowa border but there is a 4 county "carveout" for Mankato DMA (CBS/Fox subchannel)

Thanks guys. My internet has been out or I would have responded earlier.

The only problem I see with "changing" my address would be that if I need repairs, the tech would want to go to the address listed rather than my physical address.

The only problem I see with "changing" my address would be that if I need repairs, the tech would want to go to the address listed rather than my physical address.

Not a big deal - you simply change physical addy back to your actual one - then once the tech leaves, change it back the next day. ;) ;)
Besides, how often does your equipment need repairs???

in few areas of the us its like that....

for some fun, check the Denver DMA outside of Colorado....its like random
TV Market Maps

Minnesota is kinda like that. The Minneapolis DMA is the biggest and runs down to Iowa border but there is a 4 county "carveout" for Mankato DMA (CBS/Fox subchannel)

It seems to me that those Neilsen DMA guys smoke the good stuff. :D

Post number 1K coming soon.

DNA's are assigned by the Neilson Ratings. In any county, the results of which stations get the greater percentage of viewers gets that area into their DMA. There is not anyone looking at a map and drawing a circle. I think it takes a few times for the DMA to change, but it eventually does change.

Fee question

TV upgrade wiring question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts